Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:08 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

ORIGINAL: BlockHead96
Well, my bikes not "highly modified" Its not modified at all, LOL, so I'm still wondering, XIED or IED.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

I have to go with the ViEDs in every situation.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Start at the center setting an see how it runs. If anything gets strange all you have to do is borrow anyones SERT and in a few min you are good to go. As always you should try to run a lean as you can get away with and still get the drivability you are looking for. You may end up with both adjusters at the IED end or with both at the XiED end of the range. Who cares as long as it it runs good. If you are picky and want them dialed in perfect, you can also get there. No big deal.
&nbsp\\;
For the sake of sounding stupid, you're telling me the VIED's are adjustable?? I didn't see that anywhere in the ad. Variable, so they say.

Old 07-30-2008 | 05:36 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:39 PM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Blockhead,[/align]&nbsp\\;[/align]Go with the IED's.&nbsp\\; My bike is bone stock and I put XIED's on it and it seemed to run too rich. I had a lot of black soot in the tailpipes.&nbsp\\; A few days ago I took them apart and changed the resistor values out to make them IED's and it seems to be running a little better. Of course, this is all my opinion with no testing to back it up.[/align]&nbsp\\;[/align]Jim[/align]

Old 07-30-2008 | 08:38 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't post AGAIN![:@][:@]

Old 07-30-2008 | 08:39 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

Old 07-30-2008 | 08:52 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: laytonj1

Blockhead,[/align]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;[/align]Go with the IED's.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My bike is bone stock and I put XIED's on it and it seemed to run too rich. I had a lot of black soot in the tailpipes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; A few days ago I took them apart and changed the resistor values out to make them IED's and it seems to be running a little better. Of course, this is all my opinion with no testing to back it up.[/align]&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;[/align]Jim[/align]
&nbsp\\;
What exactly was it doing?

Old 07-30-2008 | 09:27 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Yep the ViEDs have real small adjusters.&nbsp\\;Adjustable from the IED range to the XIED range and anything between.

Old 07-31-2008 | 12:47 AM
laytonj1
Cruiser

Blockhead96,
&nbsp\\;
It&nbsp\\;had less power ,less responsive the hotter the engine&nbsp\\;got (a sign of running too rich). That and a lot of black soot in the tailpipes.
&nbsp\\;
Jim

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:20 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rider57

The AFV tables ARE NOT used in openloop. Openloop operation are SET VALUES. It WILL NOT CHANGE. The AFV tables change BUT ARE NOT USED IN OPENLOOP.
I never said the AFV tables are used open-loop. What I said was statistical averages of them produce the single Adaptive Fuel Value per cylinder, the one you said went to 90% when sensors are unplugged on a running engine. That single Adaptive Fuel Value is used in every standard fuel calculation.

Why not get a bike running in a steady state on the dyno with the AFVs reset to 100%, then monitor the exhaust gases as you pull a sensor wire? Do it once each closed and open loop. Let us know what you find.

ORIGINAL: stmpulr

... do the XIEDs or IEDs cause any REAL harm other than some uneven fuel delivery...
They compound the hit-or-miss on other-than-stock with no proper corrective measures setups. On stock or stock-equivalent setups they throw the tune off while open-loop. What happens when an engine is run for an extended time with a tune that is slightly off? You do not need to understand modern fuel management to be able to answer that for yourself. My take on it is going open-loop is usually the place I would like the results of running rich while cruising to get burned off, not instead being the place the deposits get made. But that is your choice. All I have been trying to do is help the good folks in this thread understand what it is they are doing. So they can choose wisely.

ORIGINAL: rocknrod

Glens is now stuck defending a idea that has no merrit.
And I still stand by my statement that he wont help anyone out in other threads asking for help on SERT questions.
But he will come on here boo-hooing a good product.
The idea, as you say, has full merit. I offer no help tuning with a SERT because, although I know how they work, I am not a SERT tuner. I let those who offer training on SERT+dyno answer those questions.

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Good observation you could not be closer to the truth of the reality of this situation.
I thought you said you would not waste another word on me. That felt like a Sunday punch. How about next time tapping me on the shoulder first so you can try to hit me in the front of my head?

-

Since you guys obviously cannot follow a link here is what I thought you might be interested in:

ORIGINAL: Doc 1

There are no disadvantages to running the 02 sensors. Along with keeping the fuel at the desired AFR in cruise they aid in the open loop area with the learning abilities of the Adaptive Fuel Values.
If you honestly think I am wrong, why not joint that thread and tell him he is too?

Old 07-31-2008 | 08:01 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default RE: XIED Ordered!

ORIGINAL: TC96Rider

Hey all, Jim here from WA. state.&nbsp\\; Ordered the XIEDs from Steve,&nbsp\\;hope to receive them next week.&nbsp\\; My 07 Heritage runs great as is, slip-ons only at this time.&nbsp\\; No hesitation or&nbsp\\;surging or pinging as I hear mentioned here and very minimal decel popping.&nbsp\\; Just running way too hot for my liking.&nbsp\\; I will be installing the K&amp\\;N 3909 air kit along with the XIEDs, hoping to get cooler temps and have a fine running machine to boot!!&nbsp\\; I will be posting back with my results.&nbsp\\; Looking forward to a fine riding season.&nbsp\\; As they say, keep the shiny side up!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test