Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008 | 04:03 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Thats me and im a happy customer
Its always nice to hear from the silent majority.I could not be happier with my XIED no problems here.

Old 07-29-2008 | 04:10 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

And possibly cant be used with a sert or sest

Old 07-29-2008 | 05:30 PM
billybud
Advanced

Well...now have 700 miles with IEDs.&nbsp\\; I wanted to reduce heat&nbsp\\;especially on the right side&nbsp\\;of my SG.
&nbsp\\;
The heat seems pretty much the same as far as my human sensors can tell.&nbsp\\; I now plan on going to true duals with a PCIII.

Old 07-29-2008 | 05:43 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

billybud what bike do you have. Make and model and year.

Old 07-29-2008 | 09:29 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced

well.... 6 weeks and the XIEDS are still on my bike and its running great . appox 3000miles the best thing is the roll- on in 6th gear I didnt have before and the smoothness of the motor. still think they are great . Stock a/c and Screaming eagle II slipons.

Old 07-29-2008 | 10:11 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Cruiser&nbsp\\; (caution off topic warning)
&nbsp\\;
You will happy to know that I just got drug into being a bata tester with my racecar by the guys that are involved in this thread
&nbsp\\;
http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f...deling#p178171
&nbsp\\;
This will be fun

Old 07-29-2008 | 10:44 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior

I've been following this thread since the beginning and posted once way back expressing satisfaction. Now with an additional 3500 miles on the clock I'm still happy with my XiEDs. Bike has V and H slipons and all else is stock. Out of necessity I ride the Interstate a lot and can attest that on my bike with my configuration the XiEDs made a noticeable difference. Also, as stated countless times the 6th gear roll on is much better and being able to cruise at 65 in 6th is a bonus in those areas that have 65mph limits. The throatier sound is another bonus. Are they perfect? No way. Are they of value to the average rider? No doubt.

Just my $0.02 based on my experience. Respects to those who may feel otherwise.

message edited to add additional text.

Old 07-29-2008 | 11:30 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

That would seem logical if the stock fuel map was 14.7 accross the board but it is not. Open loop supplies more fuel at a rate of 12.5 AFR at some points. The problem with the stock Bike was the too lean condition in closed loop.
You put XIEDs on. The closed-loop AFR goes from 14.6 to 13.8 on a good day when the O2 sensors are working as designed even outside their operational range. That is 5.8% more fuel. Then you go open-loop at what was supposed to be 12.5. Now it will be 12.5/1.058=11.8 AFR. Period. That is the way our current EMS works. When the VE tables match the breathing gear. But yours does not.

But who can say what AFR you have anyway? You have non-stock breathing parts on, and even if the open-loop control was not influenced by what is learned during closed-loop, which is what happens regardless your head in the sand, you would not be the 12.5:1 the ECU would be trying to provide. It would be much leaner since you are flowing much better in the open-loop ranges than the ECU thinks you are.

If you think the closed-loop learning does not affect open-loop operation, why would you reference that AI article where they stuck on S&S breathing parts and declared the EMS would learn to accommodate them? They are idiots for that article and what they did, but do you not think the freer-breathing stuff would not need more fuel while open-loop? How is it to be provided? How did they declare it would be provided? By learning in closed-loop! Where they erred was in thinking the freer-breathing of that intake while in closed-loop was proportional to the freer-breathing it is while in open-loop. There is no way that thing, or ours, breathes as freer than stock at partial-throttle as it does WOT. It breathes very much freer at WOT than it does partial-throttle.

How are you providing the more fuel you require open-loop with your setup? If you are not providing more fuel, you are leaner open-loop than when stock, according to your argument.

Old 07-30-2008 | 12:51 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Glens, I will not waste one more word on you.This is my last post to you.

Old 07-30-2008 | 01:25 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

Stick with EXID or IED??? All I'm doing for now are slip ons! I can't believe the MoCo would release a product that pings in stock form! From day one, no less!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test