Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008 | 12:19 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

Between the Thundermax and similar Daytona Twin-tec, I have historically leaned towards the latter. Now the makers of the now-old SERT have released a more-capable version called the TTS tuner. I think it might be best, now, to heavily consider it instead. see http://www.mastertune.net/ I think the current price is $425 for a single-engine unit, less cables, and can be gotten from member Doc 1 here with a 10% forum-discount.

I will not advise you to slap any kind of band-aid on your current setup. I would instead encourage you to re-evaluate monetary priorities and get it tuned somehow.

Old 07-27-2008 | 12:43 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Rider,

I think I see the information you are wanting to exhibit in your attempted data post above. There is something you need to consider. You will not get accurate results at WOT when you simply slap in the different stuff without sufficient running time following the changes. The AFV-altering mechanism is fairly-well damped.

Old 07-27-2008 | 01:48 PM
Jessie
Cruiser

Ok I have a 1000 miles on the XiEDs and the 07 super glide runs good for stock I weigh 300 so it is not fast I have K&amp\\;N HD-1499 stock filter and V&amp\\;H slipons standard baffle 2'? it pulls fine although when I park in the garage you always smell gas now from all I am reading (Glens ) am I hurting my bike in the long run please only Honest opinions ?

Old 07-27-2008 | 01:58 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Once again the sheep get lead to the slaughter.&nbsp\\; You don't mind paying $800, go for it.
&nbsp\\;
Look at the first two thirds of this&nbsp\\;thread before certain people came up here to taint this thread.&nbsp\\; It was an amazingly positive thread with a lot of happy people saying Best Bang for the Buck.
&nbsp\\;
Nothing has changed.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-27-2008 | 02:22 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Jessie

... am I hurting my bike in the long run please only Honest opinions ?
I am reluctant to say that you are hurting it. But I am equally reluctant to say you are not. For a few hundred dollars one way or the other you can actually ensure that your tune is correct. Might be worth going without beer and cigarettes for a few weeks if that is what it would take, no?

I will say with a fair amount of certainty that if you only ride around like an old man with it the way it is you will be safe enough.

Old 07-27-2008 | 02:37 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Jessie

Ok I have a 1000 miles on the XiEDs and the 07 super glide runs good for stock I weigh 300 so it is not fast I have K&amp\\;\\\\\\;N HD-1499 stock filter and V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H slipons standard baffle 2'? it pulls fine although when I park in the garage you always smell gas now from all I am reading (Glens ) am I hurting my bike in the long run please only Honest opinions ?
There are a lot of reasons why you could smell gas.&nbsp\\; Doesn't mean you have to run out and spend $500 on a tuner and $300 for a tune on the dyno.&nbsp\\; Find out what is wrong before you waste any unnecessary money.

Old 07-27-2008 | 03:02 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Cruiser, nobody is trying to lead anybody to slaughter. All I am saying is that if you modify the way your engine breathes with our current Engine Management System you really need to correct the tune somehow. These devices do not do that. It would not matter if they were free of charge or even if you got paid to use them. Why are you so reluctant to grasp what I am saying? Please forgive me in advance for this, but I cannot tell if you are passively being dense or actively being malicious.

There are two classes of setups involved in this discussion. Totally factory, including either bone stock or all stage-1 equipment and flashes, and modified-from-stock with any combination of parts. For the first class, the standard IED could be roughly considered a viable option. For the second class, any of the IEDs are unnecessary since proper tuning needs to be obtained anyway.

It really is a simple choice but proper information is required to correctly arrive at the decision. All I have been attempting to do is provide that information.

Old 07-27-2008 | 03:18 PM
Jessie
Cruiser

Glens a 07 super glide with a hd-1499 filter and v&amp\\;h slip ons can adjust itself for this con fig according to motoco !

Old 07-27-2008 | 03:30 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Glens, I can't reply to you without running into errors.
&nbsp\\;
There was a lot of happy customers up here till you came along.&nbsp\\; They are still out there riding quite happily.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-27-2008 | 04:13 PM
kylant
Road Captain

I know a complete tune is the correct way to get the bike to run perfectly, but it will cost $1000. $550 for the super tuner and $450 for the dyno tune (the going rate at all the dealers here). Or $650 for the thundermax or similar plus the cost of a laptop (at least $400) (I have macs!)
I don't have $1000 extra lying around to put into the bike right now, but I can spend $100 if these work. All I want to do, is keep my bike from running too lean and causing damage!
What dan I do?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test