Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008 | 09:51 PM
peapodcv
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

By the way wot was better without xieds

Old 07-24-2008 | 11:02 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

WOT is accurately-rich already with all stock parts. Putting the *IEDs in alters the AFVs positive so that however much extra fuel is added in closed-loop is also added in open-loop. That is the way our current EFI works.

If you have aftermarket intake/exhaust and no direct ECU or piggyback correction for them, both closed- and open-loop will be wrong. The ECU will try to correct as best it can while closed-loop and apply those changes to open-loop as well. This is the way our current EFI works.

If your closed-loop changes are non-uniform from stock, and they surely will be, the open-loop corrections will be inconsistent depending on what the closed-loop corrections were when you went open-loop, even if the parts were uniformly different from stock while open-loop, which they surely are not. Not only will open-loop be wrong at least most all the time, but it will be variously wrong from time to time you go there.

Using *EIDs on a stock bike is not really the best idea, but it is a better idea than putting uncorrected-for non-stock parts on. Combining both is very questionable decision-making indeed.

:/

Old 07-25-2008 | 02:42 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

OK, gotta try the Xieds, especially now that they are $30.00 more than when this thread started, LOL. All I can say, I hope they help, as I live in a area that stays well over 98*-105* in summer. I am here to tell you, my 08 Cali FXDLI is a son of a bitch at traffic lights. That rear cylinder gets so&nbsp\\; hot,&nbsp\\;I got to lift a leg and pray the light turns green fast!&nbsp\\; Al I will have for now is slip on's.

Old 07-25-2008 | 03:08 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member

BTW, as for mileage, who cares as my bikes MPG is in the toilet anyway. I don't call 34-35 combo good mileage. So, in reality, why complain about a few miles lost on a 4.8 gallon tank????

Old 07-25-2008 | 05:31 AM
LoMax
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: perki48

Yes it runs better without them......Others may run better with them.
When you drive it the way it should be driven, I suppose there is no need for any changes.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-25-2008 | 05:32 AM
LoMax
Intermediate

I think most of us spend to much time in front of traffic-lights.

Old 07-25-2008 | 07:49 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

I also have one of the "good" ones(07 fxd) ,after installing modified se slipons the bike lost a little torque and did not idle as well,the xieds corrected this situation and the motor now is running better than stock.
ORIGINAL: perki48

Ok, I have been biting my tongue long enough. I am sure I will be accussed of being someone I am not but will take the gamble. I have 07 WG and just had to try xied's. Bike ran perfect and not broken and you all know the saying. The xied's made no difference at all but left them on for 2000 miles. Just went on 2500 miles ride and took them off just in case of warrantee problems before the trip. Surprise, surprise, My bike actually runs better without them but not a big difference. I guess I am just on of the lucky ones that got a perfect running bike from day one. And before you ask, I have been riding Harleys for 40 years and know how they are supposed to run. My 07 is by far the best of any I have ever riden or owned.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Currently own\\\\\\;
70 Shovel
88 flht
07 FXDWG
Previously owned
62 FLH
80 sportster

Old 07-25-2008 | 08:16 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: glens

Using *EIDs on a stock bike is not really the best idea, but it is a better idea than putting uncorrected-for non-stock parts on. Combining both is very questionable decision-making indeed.

I haven't noticed any ill effects of using the IEDs on my stock bike.&nbsp\\; On the contrary it has better throttle response and pulls through the gears stronger.&nbsp\\;What could be the harm from them.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-25-2008 | 09:49 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817

ORIGINAL: glens

I haven't noticed any ill effects of using the IEDs on my stock bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; On the contrary it has better throttle response and pulls through the gears stronger.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;What could be the harm from them.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Your experience is typical of most.&nbsp\\; There's no harm to be worried about, just enjoy them.

Old 07-25-2008 | 10:03 AM
loc
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: loc

Does anyone have a comparison(even seat of the pants)&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;between XIED's on an 08 Ultra vs a Screamin Eagle Super Tuner with canned map, say 202TD/202TL?
&nbsp\\;
bump

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test