Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008 | 09:33 PM
elpoman
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

I have to admit I'm tired of the pissing match, that is going on.&nbsp\\; I have been reading this thread from the beginning, and have learned a lot, since I'm new the Harley's.&nbsp\\; I thank Glen's may have some valid issues, and so does Andy, and Cruiser, Just let everyone have their say.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;I'm one of the people who, is not sure if the IED, or XIED is the best way to go.&nbsp\\; I have used both.&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;must &nbsp\\;have one of the good Harley's, and get very little improvement using them.&nbsp\\; I have taken them off, since I stated to get the error codes, and my bike runs the same.&nbsp\\; Have been out in 90 degree temp, and my leg does not need BBQ sauce.&nbsp\\; I'm glad that other people seem to get benefits from using them, but unless you guys quit squabbling, I'm going to stop reading this.

Old 07-22-2008 | 10:13 PM
merdahl
Road Master

Elpoman,

I hope your not directing your comment at me. My first post to this thread was #2283. Since my comments were not positive I am immediately suspected of being some kind of troll and accused of squabbling. I had thought this thread was informative, until I tried to participate.

Matt

Old 07-22-2008 | 11:27 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: merdahl

Cruiser,

One difference between me and some of the other low count posters. In my profile you will see my name, email and location.

Matt
No problem Matt.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Steve is very good, at least you know you can get a refund if the product isn't working correctly.

Old 07-23-2008 | 10:33 AM
LoMax
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: merdahl

Elpoman,

I hope your not directing your comment at me. My first post to this thread was #2283. Since my comments were not positive I am immediately suspected of being some kind of troll and accused of squabbling. I had thought this thread was informative, until I tried to participate.

Matt
The last few pages made the 'regulars' a little paranoid. A few positive feedbacks will cure them
The difference between 14,6 an 14,1 (IED) is not very big, and 14,1 is still lean. In my opinion, you will feel a real difference with XiED's.

Old 07-23-2008 | 11:06 AM
RenoGlide
Tourer

Well....... been following this a long time and a&nbsp\\;month+ ago&nbsp\\;I picked up the IEDs to try out.
So, heres my $.00002 worth
&nbsp\\;
07 SG, Ness SC, Supertrapp SEs, otherwise stock.
Our premium gas here is 91 oct w/ 10% corn juice
&nbsp\\;
Ran a V&amp\\;H FuelPak for a year, I was generally satisified with the results except a slight roll-on ping when hot
Installed HDs oil cooler kit w/ Temp gauge. On a 90+ degree day, avg temps around 210 or so , acceptable
Installed one step cooler NGK plugs, no noticeable difference but the plug color was a bit better, still slight ping
Tried Liquid HP octane booster, minor decrease in roll-on ping but it was still there
&nbsp\\;
Removed the FuelPak &amp\\; installed the IEDs, no other changes
General performance was as good as the FP, exhaust note was a little lower &amp\\; sounded better
Riding temps stayed in the 210 range
The roll-on ping increased by a noticeable amount &amp\\; more Liquid HP didnt help
&nbsp\\;
So after 1000 miles, the IEDs are ok &amp\\; seem to do what was promised... but not what I was hoping for
Im considering the XIEDs but also just getting the SERT done &amp\\; getting it over with
For the short term, Im putting the FuelPak back on.... may try the IEDs w/ the FP just to see
Perhaps if anyone wants to trade a set of XIEDs for the IEDs I have then Ill give&nbsp\\;them a shot
&nbsp\\;
Anyway...&nbsp\\;theres my opinion on the IEDs
&nbsp\\;
&gt\\;&gt\\; Since my post numbers are way down... Im guessing my "street cred" may lack merit... as if I care, LOL
&gt\\;&gt\\; Definately not my first rodeo ....
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Jim
www.FastAire.com
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008 | 12:54 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

They work.&nbsp\\; I have the SERT now, but XIED is good if you don't go with the tuner.&nbsp\\; I am suspect of anybody that says there is no difference w/wo the XIED....I tried it and know better.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-23-2008 | 01:38 PM
merdahl
Road Master

LoMax,

I was a little hesitant going with the XIED based largely on comments made by Glens that it may be going too far. I figured since i had the stage 1 download to go with my hi-flow in and out, all I needed was a little tweek. Perhaps I will see if Steve will swap out the IED's for a set of XIED's.

On another subject, I am curious why some feel the oil temp is not a good indicator of whether or not the engine is running cooler. I live in Phx and on 110+ days, I see oil temps in the 270 range. In some stop and go I saw 290 before going into "limp mode". That scared the s&amp\\;*t out of me and is the reason I am looking for some resolution.

Matt

Old 07-23-2008 | 02:45 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

There is a fairly good chance that these things will improve general drivability on any bike running 14.7 AFR now.&nbsp\\; When in dought, get the ViEDs and start at the mid setting. 14.0 AFR

Old 07-23-2008 | 04:16 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Tried and tested all of them. Best of the lot is XiEd and ViED.

Old 07-23-2008 | 05:12 PM
whamrick
Novice

ORIGINAL: mike5511

They work.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have the SERT now, but XIED is good if you don't go with the tuner.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am suspect of anybody that says there is no difference w/wo the XIED....I tried it and know better.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
I believe it may depend on the bike.&nbsp\\; I've ridden several different stock '08 Ultras.&nbsp\\; They each have different personalities and the heat issue was different on each of them.&nbsp\\; And it doesn't seem to necessicarily depend on the mileage of the bike.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Let's not shoot the messenger when someone&nbsp\\;says they don't work for their bike.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test