Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008 | 08:52 AM
jackfiss
6th Gear
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Was wondering how hard it is to install for the rear jug? The front looks like a breeze but the rear looks like it might be a little more of a challenge. I'm on a crossbones if that would help. Thanks

Old 03-02-2008 | 09:42 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Mr Clean let us now, I am particularly interested in test 6 and 8. Enjoy Daytona!!!

Old 03-02-2008 | 01:35 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Mr Clean:

Can't wait to see the results. Have a good time in Daytona.

Old 03-02-2008 | 02:47 PM
Street G
Cruiser

Does any body have close up pictures of the ied's installed on there touring models? It looks like there isn't a lot of room on the back 02 sensor for install. I was told the ied's where about 6" long is why i am asking these questions.

Old 03-02-2008 | 03:46 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Jackfiss, I am not familiar with the Crossbones but all these bikes have one thing in common. The 02 sensor has a wire coming out of it that is approx. 6 to 8 inches long. At the end of the wire are the HD couplings to connect it to another wire that runs to the ECU. The purpose for the couplings is to disconnect it in case you want to remove the exhaust or the sensor. Just follow the wire from the rear O2 sensor. It probably runs up in between the frame under the seat area. There you will find the joint where it couples together.

Old 03-02-2008 | 03:51 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Street G I have a Street Glide. I removed the right side cover and found the connection underneath. I attached one end of the O2 IED and bent it back the opposite direction. Then connected the stock wire and ran it back out to the sensor. You can bend the wiring on the IED next to the coupling where the wires are exposed. You just can't significantly bend the IED where the shrink wrap is, for under there is the electronics. I'll try to get a picture next time I ride.

Old 03-02-2008 | 04:09 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

jackfiss--Was wondering how hard it is to install for the rear jug? The front looks like a breeze but the rear looks like it might be a little more of a challenge. I'm on a crossbones if that would help. Thanks
Unless your bike is significantly different from mine, the hardest part is removing the battery. The connector is under the battery tray and easy to access without the battery in the way.

Old 03-02-2008 | 06:18 PM
smokin
Cruiser

I'm a little confused - I just put these on the 2008 SG and they went on in minutes
The front wire was tie-wrapped to the cross support on the donwtubes - I pulled the connector apart and put the IED in the middle per se and tied it back up
The back was about 6 or 8 inches back from the O2 sensor next to the starter cover - again, pulled it apart and put the IED in the middle - re-tied it up too.
No sidecover, no battery, no sh*t involved.
And I'm a 53 year old Beer Salesman with limited tech skills !! Make sure you're not overthinking here fellows.
Smokin'
Have only started it up and let it idle - no codes - idles a little smoother - still ankle deep snow outside!

Old 03-02-2008 | 07:38 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

Mine was set up exactly the same way smokin. I gotta 07 FLH.

Old 03-02-2008 | 07:39 PM
letsride
Stage III

Ok I have been following this thread since the beginning. I just signed-up so I can now post here. I have a 08 Ultra with Wild Pigs ,SEA/Cand the stage1 download. I have 2000 mile's on my bike and I have had the bike since 12/04/07 I live in So. Calif so I ride year round. I notice right away the heat on my left leg when stopped for long periods. I would move my leg away from the motor the best I could . Even after the 1000 mile service and this is when I did the Stage1 it was still HOTAnd I mean some real heat was on the leg. So now with the O2 IED's that I have had on the bike for the last 700 miles has really help the heat. I now don't need to move my leg away from the motor when stopped in traffic its alot less heat also when riding .My mileage was in the mid 40's without the IED's now its the low 40's. The rear plug is less white and more of a tan now. One more thing i have notice, after the stage 1 download the idle was high at time's around 1200-1400 this lasted for the first 100 miles or so then wasback to 1000at idle all the time when I added the IED the next month the same thing happen.This is just my experience

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test