Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008 | 02:38 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

Rider57
&nbsp\\;
Do you know if a standard stage 1 DL with the "correct" intake and exhaust has ever been EPA tested and "approved" by Harley
&nbsp\\;
PS I love your signature given that post

Old 07-21-2008 | 02:56 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

Rider57
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Do you know if a standard stage 1 DL with the "correct" intake and exhaust has ever been EPA tested and "approved" by Harley
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
PS I love your signature given that post
The SE Stage 1 DL is EPA approved with or without the upgraded a/c or mufflers. The SERT is not EPA approved. Any changes using the SERT made to the map that changes emissions is a violation of EPA regulations. A word to the wise is in order here. Expect major changes to emission testing in ALL states in respect to motorcycles in 2010.

Old 07-21-2008 | 03:51 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

The SE Stage 1 DL is EPA approved with or without the upgraded a/c or mufflers. The SERT is not EPA approved. Any changes using the SERT made to the map that changes emissions is a violation of EPA regulations. A word to the wise is in order here. Expect major changes to emission testing in ALL states in respect to motorcycles in 2010.
&nbsp\\;
That is the sort of thing that could change the&nbsp\\;Harley industry as we now know it.&nbsp\\;I wonder if they can make testing retroactive and back how far?

Old 07-21-2008 | 08:42 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

A word to the wise is in order here. Expect major changes to emission testing in ALL states in respect to motorcycles in 2010.
I wonder if they can make testing retroactive and back how far?
I believe it is already on the books but enforcement not implemented. A certified vehicle has to meet the standards that were in place at the time it was built. I do not remember if there is a time limit or if it is indefinite.

Old 07-21-2008 | 09:02 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: drharley

If you put the Heavy Breather on, the catalogue says that you must do a Stage I download. My question is: What does the Stage I download really do other than increase the rev limiter to 6200? If it's factory, it is not "permitted" to enrichen the mixture.
Some timing changes, some VE table changes to match the breather assembly, increase rev limiter, richen fuel as necessary, still meet EPA certification. It is absolutely necessary to change programming if staying with just the stock ECU if you want the engine to run correctly when you change parts.

I've been told by Steve (Nightrider) that the XiED's will handle the Heavy Breather.
Unless he as found out how our Adaptive Fueling works in the last couple of weeks and has verified that statement by checking on a dyno and sniffing the exhaust, and using a Digital Technician to monitor the AFVs he cannot authoritatively make that statement. Last I heard from him he was primarily relying on feedback from seat-of-pants field testers who often do not even know what to look for.

Old 07-21-2008 | 09:09 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a few notes about modifications to intakes and exhausts and add-ons. 1. Any add-on device that alters emissions is a violation of EPA regulations. No exceptions. 2. NO DEVICE may be inserted inline of any OEM component used for emissions compliance. This includes TMax, FuelPak, O2 Eliminators, IED, XiED, ViED.
Hey Cruiser, checkmark another verification of material I have presented, okay?

Old 07-21-2008 | 09:18 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

Just a few notes about modifications to intakes and exhausts and add-ons. 1. Any add-on device that alters emissions is a violation of EPA regulations. No exceptions. 2.&nbsp\\;NO DEVICE&nbsp\\;may be inserted inline of any OEM component used for emissions compliance. This includes TMax, FuelPak, O2 Eliminators, IED, XiED, ViED.
Hey Cruiser, checkmark another verification of material I have presented, okay?
What are you smoking these days?&nbsp\\; That's a direct quote from Andy (Rider 57).&nbsp\\;

Old 07-21-2008 | 10:45 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: glens

ORIGINAL: drharley

If you put the Heavy Breather on, the catalogue says that you must do a Stage I download.&nbsp\\; My question is: What does the Stage I download really do other than increase the rev limiter to 6200?&nbsp\\; If it's factory, it is not "permitted" to&nbsp\\; enrichen&nbsp\\;the mixture.
Some timing changes, some VE table changes to match the breather assembly, increase rev limiter, richen fuel as necessary, still meet EPA certification. It is absolutely necessary to change programming if staying with just the stock ECU if you want the engine to run correctly when you change parts.
The timing and VE settings are changed not to match the breather assy. They are changed only for burn duration keeping the emissions within EPA compliance for make / model.
I've been told by Steve (Nightrider) that the XiED's will handle the Heavy Breather.
Unless he as found out how our Adaptive Fueling works in the last couple of weeks and has verified that statement by checking on a dyno and sniffing the exhaust, and using a Digital Technician to monitor the AFVs he cannot authoritatively make that statement. Last I heard from him he was primarily relying on feedback from seat-of-pants field testers who often do not even know what to look for.
This exact test, from various models, was done and posted very early in this thread

Old 07-21-2008 | 10:51 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
That is the sort of thing that could change the&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Harley industry as we now know it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;I wonder if they can make testing retroactive and back how far?
If the RFP that is on the table from the EU passes, it is my guess that the SERT will no longer be needed as the ecu will no longer be programmable.

Old 07-21-2008 | 11:23 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

What are you smoking these days? That's a direct quote from Andy (Rider 57).
Nothing, I am looking for a job and will have to take a **** test.

I know it was a quote from him. You had said you would listen to anything he said over anything I said. It just so happens that what I quoted him saying is something I had already said in this thread. Thus, him saying it must mean to you that it is gospel, and therefore confirms that when I had said it I was correct.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test