Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008 | 07:11 AM
chainring
Novice
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs, Field Test

finally, no more surging and no cel so i guess i have not thrown any codes.&nbsp\\; will it throw a code if it is too rich and does no cel mean i haven't thrown any?

Old 07-16-2008 | 09:01 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Very few people get a CEL with these things. The code gets set in Historic Codes and gets detected with a code reader like a SERT.

Old 07-16-2008 | 10:09 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

That's been one of my big questions with these. That being what happens when the closed loop bias is higher than anything the ecm will ever see with the ied's. Does it give up, say the sensor is failing and revert to the fuel table? Does it go to max duty cycle on the injector? Does it hit a limit on how much an adjustment it will make and stop?

Old 07-16-2008 | 10:23 AM
dhoward
Banned

But that question remains whether we run IEDs or not. Its been noted that setting the code as historical may be due to O2 polling frequency ie it apprears as a transient failure due to reversion or leakage. People who buy these dont care. If you do, buy a tuner. Its a fast cheap mod.

Old 07-16-2008 | 10:29 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: LilBudyWizer

That's been one of my big questions with these. That being what happens when the closed loop bias is higher than anything the ecm will ever see with the ied's. Does it give up, say the sensor is failing and revert to the fuel table? Does it go to max duty cycle on the injector? Does it hit a limit on how much an adjustment it will make and stop?
&nbsp\\;
That is exactly what happens when the o2s get old and lathargic.&nbsp\\;You will get a CEL when the ECU&nbsp\\;can no longer see voltages above .5&nbsp\\;even after bumping the o2 correction and/or the AFV to the rails.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-16-2008 | 10:49 AM
dhoward
Banned

And now we're back out of field experience and into engineering / theory. See cruiser's point?

Old 07-16-2008 | 11:49 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

No. Properly field testing anything involves knowing what to look for. How can you identify whether an anomaly exists if you don't have a clue about it or what can cause it, thereby either ruling out or in the whatever being tested?

Old 07-16-2008 | 12:29 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master

Do I understand this correctly?&nbsp\\; If you do a SERT and dyno tune, the IEDs are a moot point and installing them AFTER SERT and tune wouild screw the tune up???

Old 07-16-2008 | 01:31 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, you do. Again, all-stock or all-H-D stage 1, and the regular IEDs (not X) wouldn't be bad. Any other setup, any at all, and they're just further dice-rolling.

Old 07-16-2008 | 01:40 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

Yes, you do. Again, all-stock or all-H-D stage 1, and the regular IEDs (not X) wouldn't be bad. Any other setup, any at all, and they're just further dice-rolling.
&nbsp\\;
Glen, You have no idea if the 02 bias tables are still set to .45 +/- in the Stage 1 stuff without data loging it.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test