Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 05:28 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

Ahh, I see Glen has attempted to Boo-Hoo something that works over here also.
Too bad he cant start his own thread.
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008 | 06:01 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Rocknrod
&nbsp\\;
Please give give a few examples as to where Glen has given a "Boo-Hoo" response that was not backed up with facts or concernes.&nbsp\\; IEDs and XIEDs both have there limits to what they can and can't do that both Glens and Steve at Nightrider both generally agree with.
&nbsp\\;
I now run XIEDs and will soon be doing some testing on the adjustable versions.&nbsp\\; The best I can tell they work exactly as both people describe.&nbsp\\; What's your point?
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-09-2008 | 06:14 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser

This is the related update to the XIED's on an HDI (International) 96 cube bikes.It's a bit of a cut and paste from another post I've left on the local Aussie HD&nbsp\\;forum.
&nbsp\\;
It's Aussie winter right now,with temps down to 0.7 degrees Centigrade at night,and plenty of wet weather not conducive to motorcycling.

I&nbsp\\;now have 1700Km experience with the XiED's,that's on my '08 FXSTC Softail Custom&nbsp\\;.
&nbsp\\;
I had the IED's on my '07 FXSTC for many&nbsp\\;months and many kilometres,and the bike ran really well.
&nbsp\\;
I have set both bikes up the same way, K&amp\\;N HD-1499 air filter,Khrome Werks 3" HP Plus slip on&nbsp\\; mufflers (NOT screaming eagle 2007 and on mufflers,they're STILL very restrictive and "quiet").
&nbsp\\;
For the '07 only the IED's were available and I was very happy with the performance boost (noticeable).I ordered the XiED's and was going to try them on my '07,and do a back to back comparison,and had arranged to let Steve at Nightrider know how both performed on HDI bikes. Trouble is my new 08 anniversary arrived at Frasers (the dealer)&nbsp\\;a month "early",and then the '07 sold the first day for asking price in the local&nbsp\\;Sunday times.So no time for a comparison directly on the&nbsp\\;SAME bike,which would be more scientifically correct and viable. (I'm a scientist y'see,hence the approach!).
&nbsp\\;
However I can still answer questions after a fashion.
In old British MPG (miles per gallon) the '07 with IED's averaged 57 MPG on a longer run,with lots of top gear running.
On the same kind of run,the '08 with XiED's has shown:
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;53 British&nbsp\\;MPG
&nbsp\\;44 mpg (US gallon)&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; (All over 1600+ Kilometres or 1000 miles of testing)
&nbsp\\;5.6 litres per 100Km&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp \\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; approx conversions!!
&nbsp\\;18 Km per litre
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Around town the drop is&nbsp\\;into the mid to high 40's MPG...
&nbsp\\;
The '08 is a quick bike (already!),quicker than&nbsp\\;the departed&nbsp\\;'07,and that's down to the XiED's.
Indeed,I went on a run with a coupla mates,
(1) one with an '07 Fatboy with Vance and Hines drainpipes,Arlen Ness "big sucker' air filter kit and a mapped Power Commander PC3. ($3000+ at Supercycles thank you very much!)
(2) His brother on his '08 Softail custom,set up on my recommendation EXACTLY like mine,Khrome Werks slip ons,XiED's and a K&amp\\;N HD-1499.&nbsp\\;I helped them to fit them all up. He spent $660 in total(mine was less at $565!!).
&nbsp\\;
On the freeway,on a 6th gear roll on, both customs pulled noticeably away from the Fatboy. VERY noticeably at that.That's down mostly to the torque of the setups,not the ultimate HP.This is real world most important performance when and where it counts.That's from 90 to (ahem) 150ish.. (Km's of course!!)&nbsp\\;All in 6th gear the whole time. On a cruise at 90 and a drop down into 5th and bolt it,the Fatboy was still well&nbsp\\;behind,and I also left the other '08 custom but not as far...
&nbsp\\;
Off the lights on&nbsp\\;a "drag"&nbsp\\;,the Fatboy was only a "ballhair"(LESS THAN ONE BIKE'S LENGTH!)&nbsp\\;in front for acceleration,and that was with my custom still under 1200K's at the time.With a few more K's up&nbsp\\;I think I will narrow that gap to nothing!!
&nbsp\\;
The Fatboy rider is 120Kg the other custom rider is 95Kg&nbsp\\;and I'm 90Kg,which will also have a bearing on things,plus the Fatboy as a model is a wee bit heavier (maybe 10Kg?)
&nbsp\\;
For the money I've spent I most certainly have the "best bang for the bucks spent".&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
In summary,if you have "louder' mufflers,then the XiED's are the way to go.If you have "Screaming eagle street performance" mufflers the IED's are what you'll need,although the XiED's won't hurt any if you did put them into that mix.
&nbsp\\;
Sorry for the ramble,
&nbsp\\;
Let us know how you go,and thanks Steve at Nightrider&nbsp\\;for the chance to "test" the XiED's for you on HDI models.
I can heartily reccomend them to all European and other HDI spec bike destinations/markets.
&nbsp\\;
Gregg H Meikle
&nbsp\\;
PS My warcry-"YOU DO NOT NEED A SCREAMING EAGLE RACE TUNER OR POWER COMMANDER!!"
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-09-2008 | 06:18 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Pick a topic for me. Please. If I think it merits discussion I'll be happy to oblige you.

Old 07-09-2008 | 02:34 PM
CR
Advanced

Maybe getting of topic, but anyway. I few posts earlier I put up the dyno sheets for my bike with the XIED's. I will put on a SEAC next. Since the WOT roll-on does not say much about real-life driving (if only because throttle-travel is too long on the FBW, so you have to take over the handle or need a contorsionists pulse), I wonder whether somebody can give me the best test for a dyno. f.e. 2 volts throttle roll-on, or 2.500 rpm with 15% load in 6th. The dyno-tester does more or less whatever I ask him to do, so what would be the best approximation for a daily drive with which I can get an AFR reading. The testbed is a regular dyno-jet I believe. As for "field-experience": the bike is running smoothly although sometimes there is some hesitation when pulling off. Topspeed is a Zumo/GPS-rated 193km/h with full-size windscreen. The engine seems to generate enough heat, not that you really notice at 193 (haha). It does get a bit asthmatic beyond 4000 rpm, which I hope to solve partly with the SEAC (no other cams yet). After the SEAC I will probably install the monster-ovals and do another dyno-run after that. Just trying to hold on to "standard" (learned or adjusted) ECM settings as long as possible, because apart from EPA-regulations HD will know what it is doing. Just as the (forced) air-cooled porsche 993 that had more than 110Hp per liter and still met EURO3 (AND NOISE) emission standards, we should be able to get 90 ponies out of an 1.800cc CVO.

Old 07-09-2008 | 10:32 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: CR

Maybe getting of topic, but anyway. I few posts earlier I put up the dyno sheets for my bike with the XIED's. I will put on a SEAC next. Since the WOT roll-on does not say much about real-life driving (if only because throttle-travel is too long on the FBW, so you have to take over the handle or need a contorsionists pulse), I wonder whether somebody can give me the best test for a dyno. f.e. 2 volts throttle roll-on, or 2.500 rpm with 15% load in 6th. The dyno-tester does more or less whatever I ask him to do, so what would be the best approximation for a daily drive with which I can get an AFR reading. The testbed is a regular dyno-jet I believe. As for "field-experience": the bike is running smoothly although sometimes there is some hesitation when pulling off. Topspeed is a Zumo/GPS-rated 193km/h with full-size windscreen. The engine seems to generate enough heat, not that you really notice at 193 (haha). It does get a bit asthmatic beyond 4000 rpm, which I hope to solve partly with the SEAC (no other cams yet). After the SEAC I will probably install the monster-ovals and do another dyno-run after that. Just trying to hold on to "standard" (learned or adjusted) ECM settings as long as possible, because apart from EPA-regulations HD will know what it is doing. Just as the (forced) air-cooled porsche 993 that had more than 110Hp per liter and still met EURO3 (AND NOISE) emission standards, we should be able to get 90 ponies out of an 1.800cc CVO.
&nbsp\\;
CR, wait untill Rider57 gets back from holidays. I believe he may have this. If not, he does have the lab at work and the equipment to answer some of your questions. That's his job.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
He's tested these back and forth and he is absolutely the best person (IMO) to ask. If not him, give Steve Mullen a call or an e-mail at Nightrider.

Old 07-10-2008 | 05:50 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

CR
&nbsp\\;
Just get a laptop&nbsp\\;and&nbsp\\;your SERT and data log the bike for a 20 min ride.&nbsp\\; You will see almost everything you are looking for and more.&nbsp\\; All the tools you need (other than the laptop) are free.&nbsp\\; What is more "real world" than real world driving?
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-10-2008 | 02:15 PM
tomahauck
Novice

New to this site. I want to thank all. I bought a set of IEDs awhile back and was kind of leary about using them. Then last week I put a V&amp\\;H TD exhaust with V&amp\\;H Oval Slip Ons on my bike. In the process I needed to go to the local HD shop to get a set of exhaust gaskets. So I asked the mechanic how it would run with this set up.( I also have the SE Stage 1 kit) He told me to put the stock AC back on and that I would need a race tuner kit, because it would be way to lean. After reading this thread I 've decided to try the IEDs first. My question is, Is anybody else running True Duals with the IEDs?

Old 07-10-2008 | 05:55 PM
CR
Advanced

@ whittlebeast. If I would have SERT I wouldn't need the XIED's would I? I also am an avid MAC-user which kind of puts me out of the loop, although in the future I might be able to hook up my I-phone to my CVO.

Old 07-10-2008 | 06:18 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

A SERT will do exactly the same thing as these.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test