Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 06:11 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

My bike pinged at any attempt to get into the power.&nbsp\\; My stock&nbsp\\;Sporty appears to be in closed loop any time I am&nbsp\\;between 31 and&nbsp\\;80 KPA.&nbsp\\;In first gear and 2400 RPM that is anything over 20% throttle.&nbsp\\; That is&nbsp\\;not that&nbsp\\;deep into the throttle.&nbsp\\; Sorry about the technical answer.&nbsp\\; It's the only way I know how to answer the question.&nbsp\\; Is "not that&nbsp\\;deep" OK?
&nbsp\\;
I have caught my bike pinging when stock that I happened to be data logging with the SERT and the Ion sensing did not start pulling timing yet.&nbsp\\; I do have stock exhaust so that I can still&nbsp\\;hear the detonation.&nbsp\\; That is why I removed the Rinehart 2-1.&nbsp\\;I bet these guys don't care to know what the DB meter was reading. )&nbsp\\; Way too technical.
&nbsp\\;
Now any throttle position, any RPM is clean.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:51 AM
CR
Advanced

[IMG][/IMG]At last I was able to scan the dyno sheets, I hope they are readable. The bike is an international version Road King CVO with intake and activa exhaust valve and catalysts. Apart from the XIED's that were installed from 0km no modifications. Dyno testing was done at 1.000km, time enough for the ECM to have "learned". I do not have a sheet from a test while cruising under load between 100-150km/h. I could watch the monitor however and saw that the AFR was almost constant between 13,6-14,0 apart from some very short hicups when the active exhaust valve came into play. We saw a quite rich AFR at a certain point of almost 12,5, but that was measured at cruising "unloaded".

[IMG]local://upfiles/65245/CF26A348B5AC4244A328C65E0ACBF181.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/65245/BB6607F11DDF477D990E117E176A3E78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:53 AM
SteveXL
Advanced

So, I have had the O2 XiED's for quite a while now and I have started to notice my right side V&amp\\;H Basic Slip-On is getting a yellow tint to it. Has anyone else had this happen? I have not removed the XiED to check the resistance and effectiveness yet.

Old 07-08-2008 | 11:54 AM
CR
Advanced

upload 1

[IMG]local://upfiles/65245/A85E4C72AE8640DF9273F68B91C8A320.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:15 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

This is relevant. Totally.

WB, were you able to get your engine to ping before in closed-loop areas or only open-loop? I have never heard problems of pinging while just cruising, that is why I ask.

If it only pings in open-loop then the XIEDs must be adding fuel in the open-loop areas too? That conflicts with attempts at correction being thrown my way in other parts of this site...
Glens go back and read his post.&nbsp\\; He said since adding the XIED the Bike no longer pings.
&nbsp\\;
So much for your promise, what did it last a whole five minutes?

Old 07-08-2008 | 07:31 PM
heywood727
Road Master

He's trying to prove that the XIED's shift all the tables so that when it jumps to open loop that it will also be .9 richer as well.
&nbsp\\;
He's chaseing Steve Cole as well around begging him to read his Paper.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;If I spend 90% of my time in closed loop and I'm happy, I really don't care if I am a little richer in open loop.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:14 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Geez, is that what this is all about Heywood?
&nbsp\\;
I drive very conservative, so my time in open loop is so minimal it's ridiculous.
&nbsp\\;
I feel sorry for the people who got scared away from trying them because of all this nonsense.&nbsp\\; I'm glad I got mine before all this&nbsp\\;BS began.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
What I don't understand is why he doesn't start his own thread where he can elaborate on his theory all day long till the cows come home.&nbsp\\; But then I have a feeling that would take all the fun out of it, as he does love to debate.&nbsp\\; Especially with an audience watching.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 08:26 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: heywood727

He's trying to prove that the XIED's shift all the tables so that when it jumps to open loop that it will also be .9 richer as well.
I have not thrown a specific number like that around. But the phenomenon has been confirmed by a member who posted about his measured result twice now, once each in two of the main threads going on here regarding this topic.

I spoke with a very prominent-around-this-site tuner for a while this afternoon who said exactly the same thing. He has encountered it on several bikes this summer. I will not use the terms he used to describe it since what I have been saying is much milder.

He's chaseing Steve Cole as well around begging him to read his Paper.
For reasons mainly unrelated to this topic. Just some of the specifics that are immaterial to IEDs in general.

If I spend 90% of my time in closed loop and I'm happy, I really don't care if I am a little richer in open loop.
Great for you! So why do you care if I try to help others understand how our EMS works? Or is it only because it might tend to dim the spotlight on your method-of-tuning-of-the-month just the littlest bit?

Cruiser, do you recall who it was that was taking me to task for my take on the TV-II last year? I can't remember who it was, but he was adamant that they worked very well for him. I wonder what he thinks about these?

Yeah, I broke my word about further participation. But the condition I'd put on the word rather allows it, for cases like this, right?

At any rate, a thread really loses it's steam after much less than 50 pages most places on the Internet, so you've got page and view numbers going for you above the norm.

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:13 PM
Donny
Road Captain

I have a quick question. If the (x)ieds cause the open loop part of the map to richen up, because the ecm thinks it's running lean in closed loop, isn't that even better? ESPECIALLY for those of us that aren't looking for peak HP numbers and just want a cooler motor with louder pipes and better filter?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I bought my FP, because I was worried about being lean in open loop when I installed my SE filter. I guess I should have just stayed with the XIEDs

Old 07-08-2008 | 10:49 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Great for you! So why do you care if I try to help others understand how our EMS works?
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Great your helping. Sounds like a great start to your own post. I even think some others have tried to help you with that.
&nbsp\\;
Try here:
https://www.hdforums.com/m_3594832/tm.htm
&nbsp\\;
"glens, start your own post here"
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
"Or is it only because it might tend to dim the spotlight on your method-of-tuning-of-the-month just the littlest bit?"
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; No, not one bit. I didn't get my 02 EFI Heritage to blow up, so I figured I'd give the 08 RG a try.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test