Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008 | 12:58 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

Glens, the topic is field testing IED's.&nbsp\\; If you noticed members have gone out and purchased IED's and have run similar tests to compare with each other.
&nbsp\\;
You don't own any IED's, and have nothing to contribute to the purpose for which the thread was started.&nbsp\\; Go start your own thread and speculate all you want about the IED's.&nbsp\\; Your off topic here, and are messing up what was once a very smoothly running thread.&nbsp\\; If you happen to buy a set of IED's please feel free to join the discussion.
&nbsp\\;
The Topic is, "Field Testing IED's".&nbsp\\; Please respect our topic and keep your comments confined to testing an IED.

Old 07-07-2008 | 02:04 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Okay. It is your thread. If nobody else ever again mentions anything other than their results of installing various IEDs and the measurements they get with IR thermometers, I won't either.

Fair enough?

Old 07-07-2008 | 02:36 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

It's a start, but let's be realistic.&nbsp\\; It's going to take time to get back on course again after all the diversions we have had.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
All I'm asking for is the same respect I would show you if you had your own thread up here.
&nbsp\\;
What I don't understand is why you don't take up my suggestion to start your own thread and be free to discuss whatever you like??&nbsp\\; If someone else comes along and breaks the topic then they are in the wrong also, and it doesn't give you or anyone else permission to deliberately break the Forums policies.
&nbsp\\;
The forum has established these rules to keep order up here.&nbsp\\; If you don't like the topic, then the forum has made provisions for you to start your own topic, and you will be guaranteed the same respect be given you and your thread.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:17 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: heywood727

For those trying to find a fault... Cool. If you have them on your bike, and it just didn't work for you, I like to hear about it.&nbsp\\;I can respect the real life opinion of some who has given it a try. Not so much&nbsp\\;for someone who sits down with a calculator, doesn't have them, or at least ever intend to.
&nbsp\\;
I feel much the same about people that stick parts on their bike, ride around and say that feels good. Both are good for raising questions, neither is good for answering them.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:47 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: glens

Okay. It is your thread. If nobody else ever again mentions anything other than their results of installing various IEDs and the measurements they get with IR thermometers, I won't either.

Fair enough?
&nbsp\\;
Glen..... if you really want to know how these work, I suggest you wait til Rider57 gets back from holidays. Steve Mullen should be able to answer some of your concerns.&nbsp\\;You should also read the whole thread to help you along.&nbsp\\; Focus on some of Rider57's posts.
&nbsp\\;
Rider57 works for the EPA. He has the full lab and all the equipment to test these in almost every way. He's just a customer like the rest of us. The IED's are EPA legit, but he suggests not putting them on if you go in for certification. This is somewhere around page 20 to 30. The XIED's are not. It's even stated on the packaging and on Nightriders web site.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Sorry about the invented part. I was mistaken. It should have read" Designed and made avaliable to the general public for our perticular application".
&nbsp\\;
Anything EPA concerned should be PM'd to Rider57. His opinion and testing carries a lot of weight and very well respected. As for my set up...... EPA doesn't bother me as I am not in the USA. It takes 5 mins. to put it back to stock with the XIED's. If V&amp\\;H are not allowed to touch the closed loop of the map, how would it fail the EPA test? I'm not familiar with the test nor interested.
&nbsp\\;
Just food for thought and I'd rather you didn't respond. Just open your mind and re-read the whole post from start to finish again.
&nbsp\\;
PC III is a good unit and I might have gone with a T-Max if it ever comes avalable?
&nbsp\\;
Another time....another Thread.
&nbsp\\;
Thanks for stopping by.

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:57 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

50+ pages is a lot. Thanks for the guidance on where to look.

Old 07-07-2008 | 09:50 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Today was the first 95 Deg day this summer to test in.&nbsp\\; Last year I could not ride my bike in these conditions as the detonation was a constent concern.&nbsp\\;Granted I am running 93 octane, but with the XIEDs I couuld not get it to ping.&nbsp\\;At the end of the ride I used a very low tech digital infa red heat gun (apparently an acceptable tool for this thread) near the plug an recorded 360 degrees. The bike did nothing that I can complain about.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:31 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

This is relevant. Totally.

WB, were you able to get your engine to ping before in closed-loop areas or only open-loop? I have never heard problems of pinging while just cruising, that is why I ask.

If it only pings in open-loop then the XIEDs must be adding fuel in the open-loop areas too? That conflicts with attempts at correction being thrown my way in other parts of this site...

Old 07-08-2008 | 12:43 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry...

ORIGINAL: heywood727

Glen..... if you really want to know how these work...
I know exactly how they work. And that is what I have tried to explain, to little avail.

The IED's are EPA legit, but he suggests not putting them on if you go in for certification. This is somewhere around page 20 to 30.
They are not, that is why he suggests removing them for inspection. Even though they might not increase the regulated emissions beyond the allowed levels (I did read well past the post where he enumerated his measurements), their very inclusion on the bike constitutes an uncertified vehicle. That's the law here, for better or worse.

Thanks for stopping by.
My pleasure, and you're welcome.

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:57 AM
heywood727
Road Master

&nbsp\\;Glad you know how they work. Seems you've met a lot of unhappy people in the touring thread as well.&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test