Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 02:46 PM
jwest1975
5th Gear
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

Please forgive me for being too lazy to read close to 50 previous pages...
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I am running a stage 1 setup on my Rocker.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H Big Radius 2 into 2's, BCT Monster Baffles, SE Heavy Breather, and V&amp\\;\\\\\\;H Fuelpak.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I am most interested in reducing a little of the heat output.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Am I going to benefit from the XIED's in this setup?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 07-04-2008 | 03:02 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MNrider

Cruiser, i'm not on a quest for more power.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I'm not a dyno/numbers kind of guy and i'm not a speed demon.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I just wanted to get rid of that popping on decel and i did experience some surging at slow and highway speeds.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I don't remember if i had the ied's on before i put on the rush slipons, but these are probably best on a stock setup.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; They are a good product for the money, but they are also not the best thing since sliced bread. (i'm not saying anyone on here had called them that)
MN I run with Rush 2inch baffles and the RK3909 K&amp\\;N air kit.&nbsp\\; I don't have any popping with my exhaust.&nbsp\\; I did change the exhaust clamps for new ones when I put the Rush mufflers on.&nbsp\\; Slip ons are famous for air leaks and popping if you don't get them 100% exactly right.
&nbsp\\;
No reflection upon you, but I have always found it strange reading this thread how two people who have the exact same set up can have exactly the opposite experience.
&nbsp\\;
I am glad that you are happy now with your new setup.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:08 PM
Donny
Road Captain

Honestly, I just took my XIEDs off today, just to see what happens. I think the FP with the XIEDs was a little too much. It ran good with them, but I was getting a hesitation just off idle, and didn't seem as crisp to me. After taking them off, it is much more responsive, pulls a little harder when rolling on the throttle, and according to my temp gun, I didn't gain any heat, taking them off.
I think I'm going to try&nbsp\\;running without them for a few days, and maybe try the regular IEDs. I think they'll work a little better with the fuelpak, than the XIEDs.
Fuelpak alone, OK
XIEDs alone, OK
Fuelpak + XIEDs together, Not quite right
A friend of mine is going to let me try his portable wide band O2&nbsp\\;setup in a couple weeks to see what my AFR is. I'll be sure to post results.&nbsp\\;

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:41 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks Donny, looking forward to seeing your results.

Old 07-04-2008 | 08:16 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Should be interesting Donny. I have the Stage 1 DL wiyh the Hi flow.... too lean with the Bub 7 TD's
&nbsp\\;
Stage 1 with IED's....... better but a little on the lean side.
&nbsp\\;
FP....... didn't make a huge difference IMHO
&nbsp\\;
Stage 1 flash, Hi flow, V&amp\\;H FP, XIED's running into the Bub 7's....perfect.
&nbsp\\;
Great all around and a nice bit of black soot at the ends of my pipes.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; As I've said in&nbsp\\; my earlier posts, this set up works perfectly for me. The pipes are stepped and exit the cylinders at 1 7/8 rather than 1 3/4 like most.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;The XIED's do a great job keeping up to eveything in closed loop and the FP does the trick in the open portion due to HD not having a flash for TD's.
&nbsp\\;
They may have a flash now, but I've been so happy with the over all set up, Nothing else matters much too me. Mpg isn't my biggest concern as this isn't my main source of transportation. If it was....... I doubt an HD would've been at the top of the list anyhow.
&nbsp\\;
I'm just happy with a great running bike that should have been like this from the factory... ( Thanks EPA / CARB) There are better systems out there ( for alot of extra cash), but untill my factory 2 year warranty runs out, these do a great job and as far as I'm concerned, the bike just might stay as it is.
&nbsp\\;
For those trying to find a fault........ Cool. If you have them on your bike, and it just didn't work for you, I like to hear about it.&nbsp\\; I can respect the real life opinion of some who has given it a try. Not so much&nbsp\\;for someone who sits down with a calculator, doesn't have them, or at least ever intend to.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Not everything has to add up on paper. Bee's have bones and they're not suppose to fly... but they do. I'm just a happy customer and cudo's to Steve. I recommend them to all my friends who ride.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; If you haven't got them and had some of the same issues as alot of others with their bikes, give it a try. If you haven't got them.... instead of trying to pick them a part, get a set and see for yourself if they bring a smile to your face.
&nbsp\\;
For my set-up and style of riding, they are the magic bullet for now. For others who have tried them and just didn't get the same results? That's a shame. I'm glad they at&nbsp\\;least gave it a try. I know I've spent way more than $100 for something on my bikes that just didn't work out the way I wanted it to.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Maybe they're not for everyone, but for $100...... best bang for the $$$ for now.

Old 07-05-2008 | 12:05 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Heywood,
&nbsp\\;
"Maybe they're not for everyone, but for $100...... best bang for the $$$ for now. "
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;+1, Right on Heywood.

&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008 | 06:18 AM
spmullen
Advanced
Default Nightrider Internet site down

The Nightrider internet site is experiencing severe technical difficulties. It has been down for the past 24 hours and no resolution time has been provided from the hosting company. Both the site and e-mail is down. Please be patient. I am trying to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Old 07-05-2008 | 08:24 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Nightrider Internet site down

&nbsp\\;If your running a fuel apck, race tuner or same darn thing by a different name you have no need for XIEd's. Nothing agisnt them but they would not be needed.
&nbsp\\;I bought a set to play with. Xied'sInstalled them on a 2007 Road glide with 16,000 miles on it. The bike is stock and has always run fine.Install took all of ten minutes.The bike runs well with them.Throttle responce is a bit stronger.Bike sounds a little deeper.Roll on from 60 in sixth gear is stronger.As for heat I tested these over two weeks on rides I make alot. I used a thermal gun and took temps in 6 places. I ran the bike with and with out the Xieds many times on the same runs and conditions.while at times they did lower the temps a small amount it was never over 20 degrees and temps did work thier way back up if the bike was left sitting. However they did appear to slow the heat rise a bit.They did cost me a small amount of fuel milage.Over all they do just what Nightrider claims for me. They do NOT reach some of the out landish claim I have seen posted about them.And heres some food for thought I decide to check temps on my 96 Fatboy with a stage 1 done to it come to find out they are not much different than the 07 ?With that in mind last weekend at Lacrosse WI there were a lot of motorcycles at the S&amp\\;S party .I did random checks of engine temps of all kind of bikes that were riding together.There was every mod and trick you can image there. Seems none of the temps veryed that much.I have found that many using a thermal gun are some what fooling them selfs.It is very improtant that the gun be pointed at the same spot same angle and same distance everytime to get a true reading to compare. And not on crome.While playing with mine just a hair differnce in some spots made a 40 to 50 degree difference. To get true readings I made two rods taped to gun to hold angle and distance and marked each spot.

Old 07-05-2008 | 03:11 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Heywood,
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
"Maybe they're not for everyone, but for $100...... best bang for the $$$ for now. "
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;+1, Right on Heywood.

&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;
+2!!....They work....I sold mine and am going a different route, but I am still "selling" the XIED to others that haven't/aren't going the "different route"......GREAT PRODUCT!!.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Mike&nbsp\\;

Old 07-05-2008 | 05:25 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

I have a friend that has an 07 Ultra Classic with V&amp\\;H Big Shot True Duels with SE Stage 1&nbsp\\;Air Cleaner and Download with a PCIII. He wants to know if he can run the XiED's or would that&nbsp\\;be a problem with the PCIII.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test