Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 12:27 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

ORIGINAL: glens

At the risk of being reiteratingly redundantly saying it again and again... If you are happy with the stock breathing apparatus, then the IEDs should be your first choice for an overall cheap upgrade. If you do not mind the completely stock breathing apparatus and the occasional error being thrown behind the scenes, and do not venture into open-loop operation very often, then the XIEDs might be a good choice.

If you fit neither of those definitions (i.e. want aftermarket exhaust systems and/or mufflers and no errors thrown) then look elsewhere. It is as simple as that.
Glens, go back and read through the fifty some odd pages.&nbsp\\; There are many of us who are running XIED's and have upgraded our air kits and exhaust and are having zero problems.&nbsp\\; In fact the Bike runs quite well.&nbsp\\; Fuel mileage is even better.&nbsp\\; I don't find your statement to be accurate, and the fifty pages of documented owners comments back that up.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Now I'm basing my information on fact, that is clearly contained within this thread.

Old 07-04-2008 | 12:44 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Smitty:&nbsp\\; Fuel mileage isn't as simple as turning on a light switch.&nbsp\\; We all have different styles of riding and no two people are identical.&nbsp\\; Put me on your Bike and I will probably get better fuel mileage.&nbsp\\; That's cause I drive very conservatively.&nbsp\\; Now when I went to the IED I saw a slight loss of fuel mileage.&nbsp\\; But when I went to the XIED I consistently saw an improvement in fuel mileage.&nbsp\\; My last tank being 46.6 miles per gallon.&nbsp\\; Typically I saw around 42 mpg with the IED.&nbsp\\; It only stands to reason, more fuel means less throttle.&nbsp\\; But if you play with the throttle every time you come off a light, more fuel means your going to burn more every time you open it wide open.
&nbsp\\;
The originial testing crew who first used the XIED's saw an improvement in fuel mileage.

Old 07-04-2008 | 02:04 AM
MNrider
Tourer

Cruiser, i'm not on a quest for more power.&nbsp\\; I'm not a dyno/numbers kind of guy and i'm not a speed demon.&nbsp\\; I just wanted to get rid of that popping on decel and i did experience some surging at slow and highway speeds.&nbsp\\; I don't remember if i had the ied's on before i put on the rush slipons, but these are probably best on a stock setup.&nbsp\\; They are a good product for the money, but they are also not the best thing since sliced bread. (i'm not saying anyone on here had called them that)

Old 07-04-2008 | 02:08 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Still happy as the Day I got mine. Even with the Hi Flow and FP. Everything is still great and running stong. 6th gear is smooth at 55 mph.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; Haven't been on much since I've bought the 08 Buell Blast for the wife. We've been out riding every day for seat time before she tackles the Heritage...lol
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\; My set up with the XIED's has been one of my best mods.

Old 07-04-2008 | 04:46 AM
LoMax
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Smitty:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Fuel mileage isn't as simple as turning on a light switch.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; We all have different styles of riding and no two people are identical.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Put me on your Bike and I will probably get better fuel mileage.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; That's cause I drive very conservatively.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Now when I went to the IED I saw a slight loss of fuel mileage.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But when I went to the XIED I consistently saw an improvement in fuel mileage.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My last tank being 46.6 miles per gallon.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Typically I saw around 42 mpg with the IED.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It only stands to reason, more fuel means less throttle.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; But if you play with the throttle every time you come off a light, more fuel means your going to burn more every time you open it wide open.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The originial testing crew who first used the XIED's saw an improvement in fuel mileage.
At the same speed, in the same gear, the engine will use more fuel with XiED than without them. The extra fuel is used to give you the improvements we all know. The better fuel mileage with XiED (my own fuel milage did not change with XiED) you get because you can use the 5th and 6th gear more often than before.&nbsp\\;Since&nbsp\\;I installed the devices, I don't need to change gears as often as before, to get the same results. Makes sence?
My XiED's will stay on the X-Bones, not only because it runs cooler and has better cruising-capacities, but also because I think the engine will live much longer than&nbsp\\;with the factory's 14,7-1.

Old 07-04-2008 | 06:38 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

I found that out a few pages ago so yes you are being reiteratively redundant.

Time for this thread to die since it gets off topic too much, imho.

Old 07-04-2008 | 07:52 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Thanks for the link on the plugs, The shot of the four plugs is what I have on my front and rear plugs, so it looks like I am good to go. It did have me worried but feel a lot better now.&nbsp\\; Thanks again&nbsp\\; Doc

Old 07-04-2008 | 10:47 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Glens, go back and read through the fifty some odd pages. There are many of us who are running XIEDs and have upgraded our air kits and exhaust and are having zero problems. In fact the Bike runs quite well. Fuel mileage is even better. I don't find your statement to be accurate, and the fifty pages of documented owners comments back that up.

Now I'm basing my information on fact, that is clearly contained within this thread.
Well, you know what they say, fifty million Frenchmen can't be wrong.

Listen carefully. All I am saying is that you do not know for certain that you are making (multiple) modifications with zero problems. You have not been running that way for tens of thousands of miles (each) yet, have you?

I initially tried to read through all the pages, but it got to the point where I saw so many facts being given which I personally know are not true that I could not bring myself to devote the rest of the time so I just skipped to the end.

In the end, everyone is just going to do what they want to anyway. I merely wanted to be of assistance in helping folks reach a well-informed decision.

The way these Delphi EMSs work is already fairly equivalent to standing on top of a ball to begin with. Adding a piggyback fueler would be akin to donning a backpack. It will really not be any more difficult to stand on the ball. In fact, it might help dampen your movements.

An IED would be like a half-full newspaper bag (did you ever deliver papers or know someone who did?) across one shoulder, riding on the opposite hip. Here, the added weight is still close to your center of mass, but it is off to one side a little. An XIED would be like a full newspaper bag, maybe stuffed full even. A set of slip-on mufflers would be like holding one of them with an horizontally outstretched arm. An airbox would go in the other outstretched arm, or maybe in the same hand as the muffler, depending on the particular combination. Sure, you can maybe stay atop the ball so outfitted, but it will be a lot more wobbly, to be sure.

If you actually have the backpack on you could put the muffler and the airbox in it and you will not need the newspaper bag, but you are going to have to stow the muffler and airbox neatly. You cannot just leave them sticking out in any old direction.

Maybe that sounds stupid, but try to clearly picture it in your mind. A person performing just that feat in whichever configuration. Would you say that he has no problems with any of them? What if stepping off the ball or making it roll out-of-bounds could cost him several thousand dollars?

One cannot simply say putting pipes or an airbox on the bike will make it run lean, nor can they simply say putting an (x)IED on the bike will make it run (just) not lean, nor can they simply say the one will counteract the other. It just does not work that way.

The bike does not run lean in open-loop areas as it comes from the factory. It will be affected in the open-loop areas by any changes the EMS discovers are necessary while in closed-loop. If those two areas do not need the same correction they are going to get it anyway. Adding non-linear-change-requiring components without also adding a system to accurately adapt the EMS might be okay or it might accentuate the non-linear changes. Adding linear-change-producing components when they are not needed provides non-linear results. Why just throw the dice that way? I do not understand.

Old 07-04-2008 | 02:16 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mikeurig

I found that out a few pages ago so yes you are being reiteratively redundant.

Time for this thread to die since it gets off topic too much, imho.
Look at any discussion about a fuel mngt system and you will see the same concerns be questioned.&nbsp\\; Its not the thread that needs to die as much as it is a few individuals who thrive on playing the Devils advocate and love to stir the pot.&nbsp\\; I have seen these same individuals, mainly one do the same thing in other threads that were about another fuel mngt system.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
This thread was great and very informative until this person came along.&nbsp\\; We repeatedly received Kudos for having one of the most informative threads in a while.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Nothing has changed, my Bike still runs good and strong with the XIED.&nbsp\\; Unfortunately some others will be robbed of the experience of enjoying the benefits they extend because of mainly one person.

Old 07-04-2008 | 02:30 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Glens: You say,
&nbsp\\;
"I initially tried to read through all the pages, but it got to the point where I saw so many facts being given which I personally know are not true that I could not bring myself to devote the rest of the time so I just skipped to the end."
&nbsp\\;
What you skipped over was owner after owner who came back after testing them and wrote very gratifying remarks.&nbsp\\; They all came back to say how pleased they were, and the bike is running cooler.&nbsp\\; Throttle response is stronger, and they thanked Steve for making their Bike run the way it should have when it left the dealer.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Even you have stated that the IED is a good thing.&nbsp\\; Which for anyone who knows you is a feat unto itself.
&nbsp\\;
Now we are talking about balancing on a ball, and half filled newspaper bags.
&nbsp\\;
You need to go back and read all the pages you skipped over.&nbsp\\; Because what you will find is many people who are now happy with their Bike.&nbsp\\; Is that such an evil thing?&nbsp\\; You act like&nbsp\\;Scrooge, "Bah Humbug to all Ye who use XIED's".&nbsp\\; We are all adults here, and are capable of making our own choice.&nbsp\\; You made your negative statements so how about giving the rest of us a break and move on and find another group of Happy owners to drag your dark cloud of doom over.
&nbsp\\;
Give us a break.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test