Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008 | 06:51 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Just had to buy another one!
&nbsp\\;

[IMG]local://upfiles/53823/BB83B073B6924D34857115FB2C2C987B.gif[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2008 | 07:29 PM
loc
Cruiser

Bike: 2008 Ultra, Rush 2.0, Stoke A/C, XIED's. Bike popped the 131 and the 151 codes. Yes I have checked for leaks. I understand Steve says dont worry about this but the codes bother me. I purchased a SE AC and installed it today. Cleared the codes. Started the bike and did not touch the throttle until the idle came down to 1100 (maybe 3 minutes). Shut the bike off. No codes. Started the bike back up and rev'ed to 3000 rpm for about 30 second. Shut the bike off. NO codes. It is raining out today so did not get a chance to ride the bike to see how it performs. I hope running pipes AND SE A/C AND XIED's I am not doing any harm to my bike. If I pop codes again i'm going to SEST and going to have to pay the $700 for the SEST and Dyno Tune.

Old 06-29-2008 | 08:47 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

LOC:&nbsp\\; What will you do if you spend all that money and still have codes?
&nbsp\\;
They are really nothing to worry about.&nbsp\\; Go to Steve's site and read the information he has gathered regarding these common codes.
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/131_151_explained.htm
&nbsp\\;
If your Bike is running good, better since you installed the XIED's, then forget about it and enjoy your Bike.&nbsp\\; Save your money for more Chrome.

Old 06-29-2008 | 08:58 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Went for a nice ride today 2 up 230 mile total up in the hills mostly 2 lane from 35mph to 55mpg and the bike got 41mpg&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; 194 milles on the first tank and took 4.7 gallons...92 degrees here today it was a little warm when we got back into town at the lights but not bad!!&nbsp\\; Running great hope it stays that way heading to SD in 3 weeks for vacation!!

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:00 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Under normal conditions on on a cold start, the ECU records 5 volts back from the o2s and decayes down to about .5 volts + or - about .35 volts.&nbsp\\; With the XIED installed the reported voltage back to the ECU starts at .1 volts and rises to .5 volts + .1 volts and minus about .3 volts.&nbsp\\; It is durring the initial startup that the ECU is seeing voltage way out of the expected normal range and it sets the history code.&nbsp\\; As the bike warms up, the voltage falls within the trigger range, so the code never gets moved to the CEL mode.&nbsp\\; It is just not an issue.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
If your bike is stock or close to stock and you are a typical Harley rider and ride 80% or more of the time in closed loop, the EIDs or XIEDs a great option.&nbsp\\; You have a far greater chance of getting a bad tune from the huge number of hacker tuners out there. They refuse to let you watch and refuse to give you data logs of their work and refuse to give you a copy of the tune.&nbsp\\; I am in no way banging the good tuners but good luck finding one in your area.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:18 PM
loc
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

LOC:&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; What will you do if you spend all that money and still have codes?
&nbsp\\;
I will then address that issue when the time arises.
&nbsp\\;
Going down to garage now to check to see if o2 are tight.

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:26 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

LOC:
&nbsp\\;
Might as well check the whole system for leaks.&nbsp\\; Slip Ons are famous for leaks.&nbsp\\; Remove each muffler and look for tell tale signs like carbon on the outside around the slits where they slip on.&nbsp\\; Many have found leaks and fixed them and have rid themselves of the Historical codes.
&nbsp\\;
I know it's frustating to say the least.&nbsp\\; But the good news is your not hurting the bike while you ride it while looking for leaks.

Old 06-29-2008 | 10:04 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IEDs

ORIGINAL: Rider57

Lt, Your plugs look like you are still running lean
There is no way to tell by those images whether the engine is running lean or rich. Obviously it is not excessively so in either direction, or that could be discerned by photos [sic] from those angles.

Lt., you determine proper running mixture by the presence of an about-one-millimeter-wide soot ring down inside the plug, right at the base of the center electrode where it meets the base. You need good lighting and (usually) good optics to see it properly. Valuable ignition timing information can be gleaned from heat coloring on the ground strap. Other anomalous (usually longer-term) conditions can be discerned by the condition of the center electrode and its insulator.

Whittle, On a true Speed-Density system, opening the air filter will not make it lean but it will likely change the places that is does go lean (or rich).? To me that sounds a little contradictory. I like the clause after the but but not the stuff before it.

Rider, are you going to answer my e-mail from 20 June?

Folks, I wrote up a little something for https://www.hdforums.com/fb.asp?m=3561613
Have a look through it and join in the discussion if you disagree or otherwise have questions about the material. Think of how the IEDs would factor in to the appropriate parts of that post. Ponder it. It is very relevant to them. Hint. If you add approximately 5½% fuel in closed loop operation to your otherwise completely stock engine, it will add that everywhere else. If you have modified the breathing in any way, all bets are off just what is happening at any given throttle setting.

The lean-running error codes occur whenever the system is in closed-loop and the adaptive fuel mechanism has run out of headroom. At the time that happens there is quite a fair amount of extra fuel being sent in an attempt to remedy things.

[edit - Rider, the email that you sent me on 20 June and to which I responded that same day has just been re-sent. I cleaned up the formatting, but not the content. It was received and queued for delivery by mx2.hotmail.com at Jun 30 09:40:19 EDT.]

Old 06-30-2008 | 07:08 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

glens
&nbsp\\;
The issue is that this is not a true speed density system.&nbsp\\; Harley uses a Hybrid speed density system.&nbsp\\; Air flow thru the cylinder is a function of the average pressure on the front side of the intake valve and the back side of the exhaust valve at the time in the crank rotation when the valves are open.&nbsp\\; This has a huge effect on the amount of unburnable air left behind on the exhaust stroke and the amount of&nbsp\\;new fuel needed on the next cycle.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
This system may or may not even have the intake absolute pressure in the basic fuel calc.&nbsp\\; Throttle position is a poor predictor of air flow let alone the only predictor.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:53 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have emails from that period, but nothing in there from you. Did you try a PM also?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test