Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 12:39 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

I will let you all know my opinion as to the difference of tuner v. XIED.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
I think the codes tell you that the XIEDs&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;are in fact working!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I didn't worry about them either.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Good for Cruiser.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If this T-storm will move thru, that is what I am going to do,
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Mike
&nbsp\\;
(my bike is/was stock except for XIEDs and the heat shields.)

Old 06-28-2008 | 01:00 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

Diebolt,
&nbsp\\;
I am in agreement with you.&nbsp\\; The codes tell us that the bike is running lean, but we know that is not the case due to the results.&nbsp\\; The ecm throws the code because thats what is is programmed to do when the 02 sensor&nbsp\\;sends a signal that is lower than what it expects.&nbsp\\; So, if your throwing codes for both cylinders your XIEDs are working.&nbsp\\;
There may be a difference in the mapping between bikes.&nbsp\\; It seems that baggers can handle the upgraded airkit, mufflers and XIEDs, but the Dynas still seem to run hot (lean) with that set up.&nbsp\\; If I can get out today and try with my stock airbox I will post the differences.&nbsp\\; Here are my results so far:
&nbsp\\;
D&amp\\;D Fat Cat 2-1, K&amp\\;N 3909, Xieds:&nbsp\\; Once warmed up it ran like crap.&nbsp\\; I thought way too lean.
D&amp\\;D Fat Cat 2-1,&nbsp\\;stock airbox, XIEDs:&nbsp\\; Ran real good.
Khromewerks slip ons, K&amp\\;N 3909, XIEDs:&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Ran great,&nbsp\\;but alittle hot.&nbsp\\; About 370 rear head temps using an IR thermometer just right of the spark plug.&nbsp\\;
Kromewerks slip ons, stock airbox, XIEDs:&nbsp\\; To be announced.
&nbsp\\;
Donny, As you can see&nbsp\\;I&nbsp\\;also like things running right which is why I've removed the PCIII.&nbsp\\; Yes with a dyno tune it probably would have run good, but I like to change things up too much.

Old 06-28-2008 | 01:40 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

jlb
&nbsp\\;
My set up is running great. I have no plans to change anything at all. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You can see my set up in my sig pic.

Old 06-28-2008 | 05:07 PM
jjr158
4th Gear

I just checked the first tank full on the XIED's.&nbsp\\; I was getting approx 42-43 mpg prior to the XIED's.&nbsp\\; MPG was 36.78 with city and some highway driving.&nbsp\\; I'm going to check the next 2 tank full's for an average of 3 tanks of fuel.&nbsp\\; The bike is definitly running stronger and cooler on both the egine, exhaust and oil temps.&nbsp\\; So the XIED's are working as they are suppose to.

Old 06-28-2008 | 05:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

[quote]ORIGINAL: diebolt

What happened to Cruiser??????
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
He's out enjoying his cool running bike like many of us here. I for one think that the XiED'S are well worth the money and I'm not worried about the codes that I get.
[/quote
Haven't been able to post because of forum glitch.&nbsp\\; My Bike is still running good on XIED's.

Old 06-28-2008 | 08:59 PM
djhrln
Cruiser

I was disappointed in the heat after installing Xied's on an 07 1200R, still 350 rear, 370 front average, and getting the 131/151 codes. This was with stock A/C, Xied's, and SE slip-on's. However, after reading all the comments about exhaust leaks, I had to check for them, and found obvious leaks at both muffler/header junctions and since the exhaust flange nuts keep loosening up, probably getting leaks there half the time as well. I don't think the Torca clamps can possibly seal that muffler/header junction alone. Some sort of sealer would be required to do that.
Rather than fight that battle, I ordered V&amp\\;H Double Barrel's, replaced header gaskets with SE gaskets, new circlips, and new flange nuts. So now with stock A/C, Xied's, and V&amp\\;H Double Barrel's, things are, so far, looking much better. Temps of 300 rear, and 315 front average, and no codes after first 3 heat cycles. Fourth ride resulted in 131/151 codes reappearing. I haven't checked yet, but I suspect that&nbsp\\;the evil flange nuts, even though new, have loosened again. That will be checked and corrected if true, this time with nuts that actually are locking nuts.
As a bonus, the Double Barrel's have added noticeable low and midrange power, have a great sound, much deeper and pleasing to the ear than the SE slip-on's, and just a bit louder. Gas mileage was 39-42mpg, now is 44-48mpg.

Old 06-29-2008 | 12:31 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

DJ, just goes to&nbsp\\;show&nbsp\\;what a leak can do.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
The credit for the low and midrange power plus the better fuel mileage could very well be due to the XIED's.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; These are both characteristics of them when working right.

Old 06-29-2008 | 08:59 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

I run the XIEDs and know they work well on my bike ,Stock A/C vented to ground, V&amp\\;H T D and Super Trap Slip ons, the problem I have is that I can not build any color on my plugs, light gray on ground stap with some flaky stuff on it. Oil temps stay at cruise 225* and engine heat is not bad, but how lean can we run these without running into some problems?&nbsp\\;I have checked everything for leaks and I have none. I like the way the bike runs with these XIEDs and milage is good 2 up 70 mph getting 39 mpg. Just would like to see some more color on plugs, I believe its the TD that are doing this but do not want to give them up as it does help with heat on my thigh and OL leg.&nbsp\\; Thanks Doc

Old 06-29-2008 | 09:02 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

One other thing , when I was running the breathers stock the plugs did show some color, but I believe I have a true plug reading now.&nbsp\\; Doc

Old 06-29-2008 | 04:47 PM
majorken
Intermediate
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I just put a set on yesterday, easy install.&nbsp\\; I have not taken temp measurements, but seat of the pants, its cooler, does not ping during roll on accel and milage is unchanged.&nbsp\\; I recommnend them to anyone wanting to beat the heat.&nbsp\\;
PS it gets hot in Oklahoma.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test