Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:54 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED'

Lt, Your plugs look like you are still running lean, but I would be more concerned about the deposits on the electrodes. It looks like there may be too many additives or contamination.

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:39 PM
Lt James
Tourer
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED'

Thanks Rider.
I try and stick to brand name (Shell or Sunoco) gas and use 91/93. Is there anything I can do about that, other than find a diff. gas station I guess to fuel up at.

I'll make sure the XIEDs are plugged in tight, and maybe swing by the auto parts store and pick up a new set of plugs and monitor things. I'm not sure how I could be lean with just running the XIEDs though?

Any thoughts on that? Would you pull off the slip on's...? I thought that with just slip ons and no hi flow AC the AFR should still be ok, even without the XIEDs. Maybe I'll check that my XIEDs are working ok, voltage divider-wise too.

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:47 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED

Open up the air filter with a hi-flow kit, SE a/c or something like it.

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:52 PM
Lt James
Tourer

Don't want to derail the thread so I'll take my questions off line. Sent you a PM Rider, thanks.

Old 06-26-2008 | 08:43 PM
snuffer
Cruiser

Rider, I know I must be missing something here, but if LT's plugs look lean, how would opening up the air flow thru the air cleaner make it richer?&nbsp\\; I thought if anything it would make it leaner?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-26-2008 | 10:37 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

On a true Speed-Density system, opening the air filter will not make it lean but it will likely change the places that is does go lean (or rich).&nbsp\\; On a motor that does not even like 14.7, a 16 AFR hole in the map is real noticable.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-27-2008 | 08:18 AM
Lt James
Tourer

Well I tried a little experiment I had spoke to earlier concerning my 0131/0151 codes.

I cleared any historical codes. Bike was cold, started the bike and let it idle for a good 7 minutes, slowly revving the engine every now and then, getting it good and heated up. Killed the power, checked for codes, yep, both there. Cleared those codes, started it up, rode about 2 minutes down the road. Killed power, check for codes, none. Started it right back up, hopped on and rode into work this morning 45 min of 35mph to 50mph traffic. Got to work, killed the power and no codes.

So should I take from this, as said before, my bike is throwing codes on start up, due to the cold O2 sensors giving the ECM a funky voltage (due to the XIEDs diving the voltage down outside what it's expecting). But once they are warmed up, the ECM is happy and things are running as they should be?

I plan on repeating this experiment a few more time before I take Riders advice on adding a high flow AC. I also installed fresh plugs last night, and will keep an eye on them now as I added slip ons.

Snuffer, I had the same question to Rider as you did... he was addressing the plugs and also my decel popping, I asked him about it and his reply was "You exhaust slip-ons are drafting the fuel charg in to the exhaust, thats where the popping is coming from. get more air in to the engine to prevent this. "

I'm much less experienced than he is on these subjects so I'll take him at his word, and proceed cautiously, but I can understand (I think) what he means.

Old 06-27-2008 | 03:15 PM
jjr158
4th Gear

Lt. James.&nbsp\\; I did the same experiment over the last 4 days and got mixed results with the Xied's on my 07 Heritage w/ 3" slip on Cycle Shack mufflers.&nbsp\\; No other upgrades.&nbsp\\; Bike was cold, started the bike and let it idle for approx 5 minutes.&nbsp\\; One day no codes another day codes after 5 min warmup.&nbsp\\; On one occasion&nbsp\\;I rode a couple of miles checked for codes, none.&nbsp\\; The next time&nbsp\\;I ride a&nbsp\\;couple of miles and the codes appear again.&nbsp\\; On a few occasions I have ridden&nbsp\\;30-50 miles and no codes.&nbsp\\; Other occasions same 30-50 miles and codes appear again.&nbsp\\; So I'm getting a very mixed bag of results with respect to the codes.&nbsp\\; However, the bike is running much cooler with engine, oil temps way down.&nbsp\\; Performance is much better and responsive.&nbsp\\; I have checked the mufflers for leaks and clamp tightness as well as the O2 sensors.&nbsp\\; There all tight as a drum.&nbsp\\; Muffler connections show no visable leaks.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;I even took a can of smoke that you use to check a house for energy leaks and sprayed it at all the exhaust flanges, O2 sensor and muffler connestions.&nbsp\\; If there were leaks one would expect to see the smoke pushed awayfrom the leak or sucked in as negative pressure leak.&nbsp\\; Nothing.&nbsp\\; So I am suspect that the XIED's are doing there job and throwing the historic 131/151 codes.&nbsp\\; If I remember correctly from reading this thread which is very long the historic codes are nothing to be concerned about.

Old 06-27-2008 | 07:02 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

Donny,
&nbsp\\;
I also have a 07 Dyna with slip ons.&nbsp\\; My&nbsp\\;temps are similiar to yours.&nbsp\\; I also have a PCIII and when I was using it the bike ran about 30 degress cooler at the heads, but ran like crap compared to the XIEDs.&nbsp\\; I was using a canned map.&nbsp\\;
I measured my buddies bone stock&nbsp\\;05 Low Rider and his runs the same temps as ours.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;I also measured a buddies 05 Electa glide with SE A/C, TRU Duals and Dyno'ed PCIII and his runs about 30 degrees cooler, but&nbsp\\;his rear head temp just right of the plug was still 340.&nbsp\\;
I was using my&nbsp\\;K&amp\\;N A/C.&nbsp\\; I changed it tonight and put back on the stock a/c.&nbsp\\; I'm gonna see if it makes any difference in temps.&nbsp\\;
I'm also throwing the same codes, but did the same&nbsp\\;experiment as Lt James.&nbsp\\; When starting from cold it throws the codes.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;When I cleared them and&nbsp\\;ran after it was warmed up&nbsp\\;I didn't get the codes.&nbsp\\; Its interesting what Rider told him about the A/C, so&nbsp\\;I'm&nbsp\\;interested to see what happens when I put on the&nbsp\\;stock A/C.&nbsp\\;
Regardless, the XIEDs run so much better than a PCIII with a canned map.
J.B.&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-27-2008 | 09:18 PM
jjr158
4th Gear
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

Donny:&nbsp\\; When you put an air cleaner on that allows more air to flow thru the air horn intake (CFM) it has a tendency to lean out the AFR&nbsp\\; defeating the purpose of a PCIII or XIED.&nbsp\\; Can map wont work.&nbsp\\; You need to tweak the map and dyno the bike to your particular setup.&nbsp\\; Dito with slip on mufflers or pipes with little or no back pressure.&nbsp\\; Same thing happens.&nbsp\\; It leans out the AFR even more but pushing more air thru the air horn intake and pushing it out thru the exhaust.&nbsp\\;

My oil temps have lowered 10-20 degrees on average with the XIED installed with ambient air temps in the mid 80's.&nbsp\\; I'm curious what my temps will be in the 90's.&nbsp\\; Engine and exhaust heat were reduced significantly although I didn't have a IR thermometer.&nbsp\\; I'm cuurently checking fuel mileage to see if it has dropped or improved from the previous 43 mpg pre installation of the IED's.&nbsp\\; But the bike runs stronger and cooler with the XIED's and I'm pleased so far in spite of the codes.&nbsp\\; I have sent an e-mail request to Steve from Night Rider to confirm that the historic 131/151 codes are nothing to be concerned about.

2007 Heritage
Cycle Shack 3' slip on's
XIED

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test