Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 09:58 PM
jjr158
4th Gear
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

This is my first reply to this forum.&nbsp\\; I have a 2007 HD Heritage with Cycle Shack 3" slip ons mufflers with the rest of the bike stock.&nbsp\\; I have been following this thread for some time and have read alot about the Night Rider IED/XIED's on the NIght Rider web site and this forum.&nbsp\\; I have researched many other articles websites in an effort to alleviate the engine, exhaust. oil heat issues ane lean AFR.&nbsp\\; The engine heat issue as well as the oil heat issue has been a real concern of mine for the past year.&nbsp\\; Two weeks ago I installed the XIED's on the bike and took it for a 200 mile ride.&nbsp\\; I could immediately tell the diffence with the engine heat although I didn't check it with an IR thermometer.&nbsp\\; Bike ran great with better throttle response and low speed surging was eliminated.&nbsp\\; Oil temps seem to be lower (225-235) by a margin of 10-15 degrees with an ambient air temps in the mid 80's. I had oil temps in the 240-265 degrees range prior to the installation of the XIED's.&nbsp\\; I'm currious to see what readings I get when it's in the 90's.&nbsp\\; I'm checking the mileage for the next 2 tank fulls to see if the mileage has changes from the previous 43 mpg I was getting without the XIED's installed.&nbsp\\; I checked the codes after the 200 mile run and sure enough the P131/P151 codes where there.&nbsp\\; Cleared the codes and ran the bike another 50 miles and checked the codes and they appeared again. The slip on mufflers appears to have no leaks.&nbsp\\; I will check to make sure the clamps are tight and also check the O2 sensors that they are tight.&nbsp\\; As Steve said in his earlier reply the historic codes are not something to be concerned about.&nbsp\\; I will give the bike a once over for leaks and report back on the codes and mileage.&nbsp\\; I an very pleased with the performance of the bike with the XIED's installed so far.&nbsp\\; They are performing very well and have lowered the engine temps in my opinion significantly at a very reasonable expense and I might add without a lot of expensive accesories and Dyno work.&nbsp\\; Cudos to Steve for comming up with a inexpensive solution to the 07-08 engine/exhaust heat issues.

Old 06-24-2008 | 10:31 PM
jjr158
4th Gear

hgjfjfj

Old 06-25-2008 | 04:17 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED'

My XIED'S throw the same codes 131 &151 . I clear them ,then there back . The bike runs so much smoother ,for now I am leaving them on anyways.

Old 06-25-2008 | 10:25 PM
snuffer
Cruiser

I bought the XIED's and borrowed a IR thermometer, can someone tell me, to consistantly check the head temps should I check it immeadiately after shutting the bike off, or wait a certain amount of time and then read temps?&nbsp\\; Are there any comparitive numbers for head temps and oil temps.&nbsp\\; I've checked the head temps and I seem to getting numbers all over the map.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2008 | 08:02 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Donny.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Your plugs with the fuel pak and xieds looks the same as my plugs without the fuel pak. just the xieds and the breathers plumbed to ground.&nbsp\\; they look good.&nbsp\\; Doc

Old 06-26-2008 | 09:44 AM
Donny
Road Captain

Thanks HDDOC, I thought they looked lean, but I knew they weren't dangerously lean. I think I found an exhaust leak yesterday. I pulled the pipes to put new gaskets in to make sure they were sealed, and found the rear pipe's retaining ring behind the flange wasn't sitting in the flange groove, and was all bent up. &nbsp\\;Exhaust ports, to my suprise, were clean as new.
&nbsp\\;
snuffer, I always measure my temps immediately after shutting off the engine, right where the spark plug meets the head (I just aim it in that direction)&nbsp\\;

Old 06-26-2008 | 11:07 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

The best runs we have tested have been with the heads running 275f to 285F. In this range we found the most HP. We also found better performance with oil coolers installed. I am running 2 10 row JAGG coolers without the by-pass or thermostat installed. My oil temps have never gone above 250F.

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:05 PM
Lt James
Tourer

Hi guys... wanted others inputs.

Been running XIEDs since I picked up the bike from the dealer (08 SG) and put them on as soon as I got home. Just about to hit 1000 miles and I put some Wild Pig 1.75" slip ons on the bike, and went for a run. No Stage 1, no SE A/C- just pipes and XIEDs. Had some minor decel popping when letting off the gas &gt\\; 2500rpms.

Pulled the plugs for kicks and here are some pics... thoughts and inputs appreiciated.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/IMG_2498.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/IMG_2495.jpg
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...s/IMG_2494.jpg

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:10 PM
CR
Advanced

Had my bone-stock CVO 110 2008 with XIED's dynoed today. Have yet to scan the diagrams, but since not al important results could be sampled here the report. XIED's were installed at 0km dyno was at 700km, so the ECM has had time to learn/fill its memory.

100% Throttle (5 volts?) run 81 SAE HP / 125 SAE Nm. AFR almost lineair between 14,2 - 13,8
3,5 volt throttle 77,4 Hp / 128 Nm (higher?) AFR almost constant at 14,0 between 2000-5500 rpm
2,5 volt throttle 59 Hp / 120 Nm AFR between 13 and 13,9 so a little richer

Then we looked at the AFR while cruising (1,2-1,5volts) and it started to lean-out sometimes above 14,9-15 which was a bit strange. The datalog looked kind of erratic. The "tuner" then changed the dyno so that he was loading / braking the rear wheel like in real life (so different from the previous measurements). In this mode the AFR remained constant at 13,5 to 13,8 while cruising between 100-150 km/h in 6th gear. It was not possible to datalog this measurement.

By the looks of it the XIED's perform well. The tuner only last week dynoed another identical CVO with SE aircleaner / V&H ovals / PCIII. He says he always only changes the fuel in PCIII and not the ignition timing. With this set-up he got 95 Hp and 149 Nm and AFR at 14 between 2000-2500 rpm and higher near constant at 13.

I ordered the SEAC and am looking for calm but high VE mufflers (monster ovals?) but am not sure about the PCIII. The more I read the more I think that the Delphi system is not that bad, so SEST is the way to go, to get some more fuel in and maybe a slight ignityion advancement. Until then the XIED's will keep me out of harms way.

Old 06-26-2008 | 01:20 PM
CR
Advanced

Just realised that the following might be important. The measurements at 2,5 and 3,5 volts throttle were accelerations. Open the throttle to 2,5 and 3,5 volts at 1500 and start sampling. The last measurement is of course the more representative, just cruising at a certain speed (load) and looking at the AFR.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test