Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:21 AM
smokermike
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

yes I have the o2 sensors ill order up a pair of the dyn oied thanks
mike

Old 06-22-2008 | 10:30 AM
Donny
Road Captain
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

I recently installed a fuelpak to go along with my XIEDs, which work very well together. I have probably 1500 miles on the XIEDs and 500 with the fuelpak. My bike still seems very lean, considering that my pipes are still clean like new (no carbon), still get surging, and my friend's bike, which is identical to mine, runs FAR BETTER, and has NO fuel management at all. He's running V&amp\\;H short shots, no baffles, SE AC. His plugs look much richer, has nice thin coat of carbon on his pipes,&nbsp\\;sounds better, and is much quicker than mine. I'm thinking about checking for intake leaks, but have been told that I would know if it had one right away, by rough running. Any thoughts?

Old 06-22-2008 | 12:15 PM
StonerGlide
Road Master

Alright, 49 pages and one exploding head later XIED's went on my 07 UC&nbsp\\;last Wednesday and I am very pleased with the results of my $100 spent.
Better throttle response, seems to have better torque through the range of gears, no pinging so far, no surging or hunting at lower RPM, smoother overall ride and the bike is running noticably cooler (meaning my nuts ain't cooking in their own sauce in stop-n-go)!
Other mods are in my sig.
Bottom line is thanks Steve for putting out&nbsp\\;a product that works at a resonable price, and thanks to all who have tested and posted results that helped me make a decision on the purchase and install (all of 8 minutes).
As for all the rest of that stuff...well it's about 85 here in Georgia today and if I leave now I can waste at least two tanks of gas up in the mountians before sunset!
&nbsp\\;
Disclaimer: No SERTS, PCIII's, IR thermometers, laptops or other mechnical, digital or analog devices were harmed in the recent testing or installation of the above&nbsp\\;referrenced device. We did however reduce the remaing amount or tread left on the tires somewhat and severely drain the gas tank!!

Old 06-22-2008 | 02:51 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Donny, you shouldn't need a fuel Pak with the XIED's.&nbsp\\; The fact that you have one and still have signs of running lean is a strong indication that something else is wrong.
&nbsp\\;
As for your friends Bike running short shots with no baffles and a SE AC&nbsp\\;and showing signs of running rich, I'd have to see that one to believe it.&nbsp\\; Are you sure he didn't tune it with a SERT, and now he's pulling your leg?

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:24 PM
Donny
Road Captain

Yes, cruiser, I'm positive.&nbsp\\;I was trying to talk him into XIEDs, or even sert, but he didn't want any part of messing with the ecm. He even showed me his stock pipes, which had nice black soot on the inside, and mine were like brand new looking inside, and I had 2000+ more miles on mine than he did. I think he got lucky. He doesn't get any popping at all, pulls hard right up to the rev limit, and breaks the tire loose in 2nd and 3rd. We've raced, and switched bikes and raced, and his bike&nbsp\\;wins every time.
The XIEDs helped noticably, and what's wierd, is that I get far better gas mileage with them. The fuelpak seems to help also, and works very well along with the XIEDs, but I'm still seeing 350-380 rear head temps, front is usually 10 degrees cooler, and oil temps between 220 and 240. Tomorrow, I'll see if I can take some pics of my plugs. &nbsp\\;

Old 06-22-2008 | 08:44 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Very strange indeed Donny.&nbsp\\; We all know the stock bike is a little lean.&nbsp\\; Then to add short exhaust pipes with no baffles and open up the breathing with the SE AC.&nbsp\\; He should be so lean right now, but yet it doesn't sound that way.
&nbsp\\;
350 ~ 380 on your rear with the XIED/Fuel Pak just seems awful high for that combo.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Very unusual to say the least.

Old 06-23-2008 | 06:22 AM
loc
Cruiser

Well checked my codes before my ride yesterday. What do you know the two are there. I cleared them and just check them this morning. There they are again. I have checked for exhaust leaks with none found so thinking about getting rid of the XIED's and going to IED's. The question is will the IED's still kick the code in the ECU?
&nbsp\\;
I the only mod to the bike is the Rush 2.0 Pipes.
&nbsp\\;
I hope I do not have to spend the $500 plus on the SERT.

Old 06-23-2008 | 08:51 AM
ultranut
Advanced

I finished up my exhaust set-up this weekend. I'm running V&amp\\;H 1 3/4 true dual header pipes with Rinehart slip-on's. I have done nothing to the air cleaner. Installed the Xied's as well. I noticed that the sound seems deeper and a tad more volume, but I don't know if this is due to switching to true duals or the Xied's?&nbsp\\;I ran about 100 miles with this set-up and it runs perfect. Still have the occasional very,very&nbsp\\;slight little pop on decel. With this set-up would it be OK to install a Big Sucker or SE air cleaner with out running a PC3 or Sert? Will it add much performance?&nbsp\\;I will also be adding Thunder monster baffle's this week. Is Xied's really all I need.&nbsp\\;I am more concerned about looks and sound than big performance gains.&nbsp\\;

Old 06-23-2008 | 09:35 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Well, here's what I have to report.
I just completed a 1400 mile run. I ride an 07 EGC with Rush 2", K/N 1499 in a modified stock airbox, and XIED's.
I averaged 64.9 MPH (GPS) 41.4 MPG and still have not had any codes logged in the ECU.
The bike performed flawlessly, and right at this point, I could not be happier.
I plan on keeping things just as they are.

Old 06-23-2008 | 09:54 AM
ultranut
Advanced

What is this code folks talk about and how does one check and clear coses?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test