Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008 | 07:10 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

&nbsp\\; I installed the XIED's on my 07 RoadGlide (16,000 mile stock and runs fine&nbsp\\just to try them out.
Temp readings are not important. The difference is.
Xieds seemed to lower mine about 20degrees sitting and 25 runing down the road.
This is in line with what nightrider claims. Some of these over the top claims are just that.
They work as claimed.
Bike runs good with them , but it always did. Throttle responce seems a bit stronger and roll on from 60 in 6th gear is stronger.
If I ride the bike like a sport bike hit it hard up and down the gears in and out of quick turns I get a little back fire now and then some thing it never did befor.
Thats not a real problem as would be expected with a little extra fuel burning off in the pipes.
The tail end of my pipes have alwasy had a lite coat of carbon on the left pipe none on the right.
Now with the XIED's the right is showing a lite carbon dusting. This too can be explained by moire fuel.
As with any thing like this it needs time to prove it's self so far I say not bad.
They will NOT lower you temps anywere near some of the claims you read or turn your bike into a rocket.
If you doubt this talk with NightRide and ask them what you can expect from them in the real world

Old 06-21-2008 | 08:44 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

ORIGINAL: Aggie

Not sure who your contact is, but if he said the O2 sensors would be ready in 10 seconds after start he needs to talk to the engineers doing the work.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It takes 60-90 seconds for an unheated sensor to be ready and fully functional.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; These are 2 wire sensors with no heat...just exhaust gases.
Thats the point he was trying to make, the ready indication takes about 10 seconds. Any longer and riders would be ignoring the dash lights and starting up right away.
You are correct, no 2 wire o2 has a heater.
Until the temps are reached, the 02 wont work correctly.

Old 06-21-2008 | 08:51 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Glen
&nbsp\\;
Is it possible that these bikes have pipes or AC&nbsp\\;that were real close to getting on the rails of one of the fuel trims and now with the XIEDs they are touching the rails somewhere in the tune and setting the code?&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
I do have the 131/151 codes in historic.&nbsp\\; I will check in a week or so and see.&nbsp\\; Is there a way to clear historic codes?
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-21-2008 | 09:30 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Harley Tech Talk 07 codes

Old 06-21-2008 | 10:44 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Here is a link to a fairly good explanation
&nbsp\\;
http://www.hdtalking.com/diagnostics...ble_codes.html
&nbsp\\;
The history will hold for 50 ignition cycles
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-21-2008 | 11:37 AM
AISTQM
Tourer

glens,
When my bike is cold it throws both codes every time I start it.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have thw 02 ieds on right now.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; If I clear them and the bike is warm it does not throw the codes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Does not happen if I remove the 02 ieds.

Old 06-21-2008 | 12:58 PM
CR
Advanced

I installed XIED's from new, otherwise the bike is stock. It is an international version with intake- and exhaustvalves and catalysts. Until now no problems with overheating, although sometimes the idle rpm varies, which could be an indication of the EITM kicking in. Bottom-end power and pick-up is impressive compared to my previous TC88 stage I (it better be!) When pulling through the gears it seems a bit short breathed in the high rpm's (>4000), which is also to be expected since the AC is still stock. Exhaust does not show any soot or greyness at all after the first 700 miles, but I rarely use WOT and since the international bike is even more long-legged I must be operating a lot of time in closed loop (13,8 AFR supposedly with the XIED's).

Waiting for its first service to decide what I will do for a mild tune-up AC/Monster ovals with a good tuner, still thinking about Thundermax or SE. Ideally I would like to see a longer intake with dual throttle body, but that does not seem to exist for FBW throttle. That and wide O2 sensors should in theory enable me to perfectly tune the bike. Until then the XIED's will do the job.

PS Glens embarrassing / pathetic stock mufflers? When traveling at higher speeds of 160-180 km, of which the Road King is perfectly capable, I get really very tired from excessive noise (and the other people around you). I used to have SEII pipes on my previous bike but changed them to streetlegals again. High VE mufflers are not necessarely loud, are they?

Old 06-21-2008 | 05:58 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior

In the spirit of the original post...

I installed my XiEDs this morning, which was a 20 minute piece of cake, and then went out for about an hour of mixed riding.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; My first impression is that the bike seems to run cooler based on, as someone else put it, the right leg thermometer and it seems to run smoother and a bit more powerful at low and mid RPM.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I had a bit of decel pop and still do.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; There is a slight difference in the popping sound, though.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; It seems a bit lower pitched and "rumblier" (how's that for a descriptive word!) but the popping hasn't gone away nor did I think it would.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Some other threads indicated that this was one of the many benefits of the XiED.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Well, your mileage may vary.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Speaking of which, I'll be tracking my mileage and will let you know of any changes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; The XiEDs are not an HD cure all but based on my limited experience today they're the best $100 dollar performance mod you can make.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Old 06-22-2008 | 12:00 AM
smokermike
Cruiser

Hi guys I havent posted in a while but am intrested in these can I run these on my 2006 dyna it has the stage 1 down load an a arlen ness air cleaner with a python 2 in to 1 exhaust will I be ok id like to see what my resluts would be
thanks mike

Old 06-22-2008 | 06:50 AM
LoMax
Intermediate

If your Dyna is equiped with the O2 sensors, you can (or have to) use the DYN OiEDand not the&nbsp\\;XiED.&nbsp\\;
http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test