Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:05 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

I wonder if the stock exhaust on all these bike falls under the deffinition of "too much back pressure"
&nbsp\\;
Does anyone know what the&nbsp\\;normal/acceptable range of exhaust back pressure is on a street exhaust and still get reasonable sound levels?
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:11 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

If my math for this conversion is correct, it should be -6hg/cm at 12". Which means it's a little too high.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:14 PM
HDDOC
Road Captain

The insulators of the plugs are not pure white or spotted but have an off white color not stock white but close. Thanks for the reply.&nbsp\\;Feel a lot better now.&nbsp\\; Thanks Rider57.&nbsp\\; Doc

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:34 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default Back to the IED Field Test!

Lets not get off the thread topic further than we already are.

Old 06-19-2008 | 03:52 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

I've been following this thread all the way through, I have one of the first run sets of IED',s on the bike now and just received a set of XiED's the first of the week , as an electrician, the voltage devider made total sence to me, I could have made them my self, but decided to give credit where credit is due and purchase both sets, There are a lot of very smart people on this forum, thus the reason I support it,&nbsp\\; thanks to all,&nbsp\\; thanks to you Steve for coming up with a very good idea.&nbsp\\; Tim

Old 06-19-2008 | 07:25 PM
skidly
Intermediate

Can anyone tell me if my thinking is correct here. I have a 08 StreetGlide with stage 1 AC Stage 1 download and bub7 slipons, I have xieds installed and it seems my WOT is running richer than it should. Will the open loop part of the map lean out some to adapt to what my closed loop afr is telling the ecm? why I ask is I may have had a download installed that was meant for the 103ci engine.

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:17 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

I have recently installed a pair of XIEDs on my otherwise totally stock 2007 Sportster.&nbsp\\; The bike has hunted RPM sence day one.&nbsp\\; I purchased a SERT as a datalogging device to attempt to get to the bottom of the cause.&nbsp\\; I kept glancing thru this thread and wondering if it was possible.
&nbsp\\;
After talking to Steve, I desided to try a set.&nbsp\\; Later, after doing some data logging, I will gather my thoughts as to why I think they work as well as how I have found them&nbsp\\;to perform.
&nbsp\\;
Bottom line is if you have a stock bike, at this point I endorce the use of these things.&nbsp\\; They just flat calm the bike down.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Untill Harley desides to deal with the 02s in a better way, this may be the best compromise. &nbsp\\;If you have messed with the the intake or exhaust and the base tune is just not correct, then your only real choice is a SERT or simillar.&nbsp\\; The o2 bias setting is a&nbsp\\;more adjustable&nbsp\\;solution but for under $100 this solution is hard to beat.
&nbsp\\;
More testing to follow and I will be happy&nbsp\\;post data logs&nbsp\\;once this thing gets a few more miles on it so&nbsp\\;we can all see how the stock ECU has homed in.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:25 PM
Jessie
Cruiser

0K Guys here is the scoop from 2 service managers 1, Woodstock,ILL Harley&nbsp\\; 2,Chitown Harley Tinley Park,ILL 131,151 Codes with Bike running good according to Harley Corporate reset and forget that is also basically what the service manual says according to both Gentleman ! So there!Codes show up on all new bikes&nbsp\\;even stock at sometime or another (Reset Forget ) as long as bike is running well ! Thank you again Steve Mullen 4 A GREAT Product ! and as always thank you Forum for all your help !!!

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:58 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: RE:IEDs

Look, guys, the normal voltage divider still lets the O2 sensors work within their
linear range.

The extreme voltage divider is obviously flirting hard with the limits of the linear
range and this is the reason codes are being thrown.

Once the limits of the linear range (which is narrow by definition using a narrow-band
sensor) have been breached, it could be "sensing" 13.8, or maybe 9.2 (who can say?) all
the while putting out the same voltage.

Obviously what is happening is the extreme dividers are causing the codes because the adaptive
fuel routines are being maxd out.

Stick with the "normal" voltage dividers and you will have a cooler-running engine and
only marginally too-rich fueling in every open-loop situation\\; all with no error codes thrown.

The best thing to do is to populate the VE tables correctly for your plumbing and set the
target integrator voltages in the ECU for closed-loop operation.

All this can only be done with a SERT at this time.

I do not use one myself, but trust me when I say the above.

The next best thing is to forego exhaust gas analysis and use a PC-III.

Old 06-20-2008 | 12:15 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IEDs

Been running the XIED's for months now.&nbsp\\; Bike runs like a champ.&nbsp\\; Engine is cooler and no codes.
&nbsp\\;
I used to have a PCIII.&nbsp\\; Jamie at Fuel Moto authorized it's return because it had a dangerous hesitation right off idle.&nbsp\\; I'll keep my XIED's.
&nbsp\\;
This thread is about field testing the IED/XIED, I wish people would stick to the nature of the thread.&nbsp\\; Your always free to start a new thread and talk about what ever topic you choose.
&nbsp\\;
Thank You.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test