Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008 | 07:49 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: Ultra96rider

Rider57,

Thanks for all your work on this. By placing this new IAT in the ac backing + the nightrider 02 kit do you know what additional difference would be realized in the Air Fuel ratio so often referred to?

Any concerns about compatibility with the 08 50mm throttle body etc..

So even in temps above 75 just leave it in place in the ac box?

Great stuff.
The IAT works independant of the O2 sensors, so the AFR will be a little richer. How much depends on the air temp. In its original position in the throttle body, temps are sometimes well over 100 degrees. The IAT signal informs the ECUthat the bike needs to run rich because it senses a "cold condition" the same as the cylinder head temp sensor.
Yesterdays experiment: IAT in the AC location, resistors in O2 circuits, cly head temp showed <100 degrees(cold). From startup until 200 degrees at the cyl temp I was reading 13.5:1. After 200 degrees and a 10 mile ride, the reading stayed at 13.8:1 Air temp was 56 degrees. This week I will test an idea from Bill Hilly with the Cylinder Temp sensor.
I am trying to find a way to keep the AFR at no leaner than 13.5:1 and no richer than 13.0:1. What would be nice is a mod that anyone could in the garage for a few bucks that works.

Leave the IAT in the AC box. I wount hurt anything.

No difference in the 08 body as far as I can tell.

Old 02-25-2008 | 11:22 AM
ultra96rider
Intermediate

And no effect on gas mileage???

When you get done with this experiment you should sell the "FIX" package. Great stuff. I'll be watching for your results.

Thanks again

Old 02-25-2008 | 11:41 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ultra96rider

And no effect on gas mileage???

When you get done with this experiment you should sell the "FIX" package. Great stuff. I'll be watching for your results.

Thanks again
If you change the AFR, it will alter the MPG. No ifs, ands or buts about it.
As of yesterdays test, I have lost about 2 MPG at 55 degrees. As the temps get into the summer range, it should get better. Time will tell.

Old 02-25-2008 | 12:07 PM
db252
Road Captain

Ok. Just finished installing my IED's on my bike which has slip-ons, SE air cleaner, and stage 1 download. Won't be going out till around 1 this afternoon (CA time) but I'll post my results when I get back. I don't have a temp heat gun or electrical background like some of you super smart guys so my results will be more of the cave man type. I'll check my spark plugs now and later and be looking to see if I've lost any low rpm surge but that will probably all you get out of me. Thanks in advance to all for all the info.

Old 02-25-2008 | 12:38 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Have fun on your test ride. Note the outside temperature.

You should see a nice improvement. I was surprised that my exhaust even got louder.

Good luck, can't wait to see your results.

Old 02-26-2008 | 02:06 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

DB252:

How'd the test ride go?

Old 02-27-2008 | 12:23 AM
db252
Road Captain

Lets see....my results. Went for a long ride today in the hills with a temp of around 64.

Things I have not noticed but doesn't mean they aren't/didn't happen:
- louder exhaust
- more performance
- temperature change....well maybe, but is it me just wishing it? Hell I don't know but I hope it is cooler.

Things I have noticed:
- low rpm surge is MUCH less if non-existent but I really went low to make it happen yet very noticeable change.
- spark plugs look much better. Not as white - can definitely see a color difference from before and I'm sure it would be better if I cleaned them more before the run.
- one thing that surprised me that I did notice and never really thought about is while moving at a low/midrange rpm in any of the gears the 'casual missing', you know, like you get sometimes when there is not really enough fuel in the mix for the spark to create an ignition which feels like a random dead spot, was also gone and made me really take notice.

So, just by these simple findings the IED's are doing something. Is it the best....no but for the cost the results are very impressive. I would say this is for those who don't want to spend money on a fuel manager and help their bike run at a healthier state be it only .5 richer in air/fuel ratio.

I'll keep em.

Old 02-27-2008 | 08:03 AM
geargrinder
Road Master

Rider57, concerning the altering of the IAT signal,on most ECMsthe IAT also affects the ignitiontiming, any concern here on the HD Delphi? I know it is crude, but that crude?

Old 02-27-2008 | 09:06 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: geargrinder

Rider57, concerning the altering of the IAT signal,on most ECMsthe IAT also affects the ignitiontiming, any concern here on the HD Delphi? I know it is crude, but that crude?
The IAT does not affect timing to a degree that would be noticable. It does affect pulse durations for the injectors as if your engine was cold. Hense, more fuel.

Old 02-27-2008 | 11:58 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

DB252 sounds like it did more good than bad.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test