Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:35 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

EFI bikes running street fuel seldom show any real color on the plugs.&nbsp\\; Be carefull using a white plug as an indication of trouble.&nbsp\\; A dark plug (black or dark gray) does indicate trouble.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-19-2008 | 08:42 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Part of this problem is that the O2 sensors installed are designed for automobiles and the clock timing from those ecu's in cars and trucks. Not 2 cylinder engines. The Delphi system is a great engine management module, but adding the O2 sensors and not upgrading the design to properly handle the inputs from 2 sensors in a logical manner, results in these codes. Some of you will see these codes still appearing long after the break-in period. Expect the 2010 to 2012 models to have a much improved ecu with water cooled engines not to far off in the future.( &nbsp\\
Using O2 eliminators will result in a smoother swing value when viewing a datalog from a run as the constant value is set. The O2 sensors should have a voltage swing of no more than .125v to .150v. Due to the nature of the ecu clock frequency for a 2 cylinder engine, the sampling rate is too fast. This is causing the rapid swings we are seeing from the O2 sensors to try and correct AFR too fast. This results in erratic idle, surging at cruise and the intermintent codes of 131 and 151 that do not turn on the Check Engine Light.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008 | 09:48 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master

Count me in as happy with the XiEDs. Put them on the bike last weekend and have done several evening rides this week. Very noticeable difference in heat with my leg thermometer, better throttle response and 6th is now usable as slow as 65mph. I have the D&D slips and I think the XiEDs actually made it a little more quiet. Not a big difference, but it is a little more quiet with a slightly deeper tone.

The XiEDs are a keeper. Best $100 mod yet.

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:37 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

I just think it is odd that my plugs have no carbon on the plug ring, they look new after 400 miles with maybe a touch of a heat mark on the bottom ring, the ground strap does look OK. I have notice even with the XIEDs compared to stock the plugs look the same , I know the XIEDs are working as I can feel the differance, but I would think with a little added fuel the plugs would look show a little more color than stock, Maybe this is not a bad thing as the heat and oil temps even in hot weather stay within reason with no signs of pinging or detonation. Thanks Doc

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:52 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Doc, look for real bad signs on the plugs. Near white is ok. Bright white is not.
White electrode and black sooty deposits on the outside ring indicate a cold plug. Brown lumpy deposits on the outside ring indicate contaminated gasoline.
&nbsp\\;
Tan on the electrode is a rich condition but a good rich condition.
&nbsp\\;
What you are describing is a good burn for YOUR engine. All the charge is being used (burned).
Couldnt ask for better for the money you paid.

Old 06-19-2008 | 10:54 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Rider57
&nbsp\\;
Have you seen&nbsp\\;the way the o2s appear to be&nbsp\\;coupled together in the ECU logic on the Sportys?&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;am seeing&nbsp\\;huge swings in the delivered fuel pulsing in sync.&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;have also seen that&nbsp\\;when the 02s are temperarally disconnected the&nbsp\\;VE and VeNew values are almost always reported as the same number.&nbsp\\; When the o2 are reconnected the two vallues are very different.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;The VeNew field does not appear to have the AFV on the calc, at least when to o2s are off line.&nbsp\\; I also noticed that when the 02s are off line (disconnected) the hunting feeling flat goes away.
&nbsp\\;
I now have the XIEDs on my Sporty and I am waiting to get a few miles on the bike to data log the changes.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:09 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I look at this just 3 days ago. It is a normal cycle because of the base code in the ecu.
I think all the H-D ecu's need a flash to correct the sampling rate. During testing, using the EPS / ETV system here at the lab, we found that those "swings" dont truely exsist on the input but do show on the data output from the ecu. Intercepting the input to the ecu is clean, output from the ecu to the EPS/ETV system shows that the error (if thats what you want to call it) is induced at the ecu. We lowered clock frequency 300hz at the EPS/ETV and the problem cleared. We cant change what is more or less permanent code in the ecu so we have to live with it. But it is in error none the less.

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:41 AM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Rider57
&nbsp\\;
Do you have a way in the lab to log the actual command pulse width compared to the "reported PW" to see if the pulsation is really as reported by the SERT?
&nbsp\\;
Do you have a way to get 2 additional widebands into the exhaust in addition to the two stock 02s to see just how stable the actual AFR really is&nbsp\\;on there bikes?&nbsp\\; I&nbsp\\;have always been a little suspect when my Innovate was showing AFRs all over the map wile in the driveway.&nbsp\\; Never got around to data logging with the Innovate as it blew an error code and I had to deal with that.
&nbsp\\;
AW&nbsp\\;

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:53 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: whittlebeast

Rider57
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Do you have a way in the lab to log the actual command pulse width compared to the "reported PW" to see if the pulsation is really as reported by the SERT?
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Do you have a way to get 2 additional widebands into the exhaust in addition to the two stock 02s to see just how stable the actual AFR really is&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;on there bikes?&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;have always been a little suspect when my Innovate was showing AFRs all over the map wile in the driveway.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Never got around to data logging with the Innovate as it blew an error code and I had to deal with that.
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
AW&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Cant log it, but view it in real time. It is the ecu sampling rate causing the fluctuation trying to correct the AFR too fast. Reversion in the exhaust will cause the problem also. Too much back pressure is also something that should be checked. No O2 sensor (wide or narrow) can correct this as the problem is entirely the ecu clock frequency sampling rate. They should have used a interupt signal instead of clock. That would have taken care of it.

Old 06-19-2008 | 11:59 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

AW, the AFR is really pretty stable. I see 13.7 to 13.9 with the XiED's on different bikes.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test