Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:17 PM
kennyd42
Intermediate
Default RE: RE:IEDs

Steve is working to find a solution with these codes. I get the P0131 alot and sometimes the P0151. I have been working with him for several weeks on this. Some bikes are getting the codes and some are not. Check for exhaust leaks first. I didn't think I had one&nbsp\\;until I&nbsp\\;pulled the slipons off and sure enough saw some black soot in the slots where the muffler clamp fits. I went back with the stock clamps and am 99% sure I have no leaks. The code used to come all the time and now its more intermittant but not completley gone. The codes seem to appear during the warmup cycle. I can take the XIED's off on no codes pop up.Hopefully he will find the solution to the codes soon.
&nbsp\\;
2007 FLHTC
Bone Stock Except For Vance&amp\\;Hines Basic Slipons

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:46 PM
spmullen
Advanced

Mis post

Old 06-18-2008 | 03:55 PM
spmullen
Advanced
Default IED Technology

I typically do not post to any Forums because I do not want to be accused of trying to sell or push my products to Riders in this type of environment. This forum thread was independently started and continues&nbsp\\;to evolve&nbsp\\;through participation by&nbsp\\;interested riders without any prompting or intervention by me. I believe that Forums should be an independent and open place to discuss thoughts, issues and ideas. I have no intention of changing the way this&nbsp\\;discussion thread&nbsp\\;has developed. I have a great deal of respect for the participants in the forum and the moderators that ensure the basic openness and fairness of the forums is maintained.

But off-line I have gotten some requests to answer questions and possibly clear up some miss-conceptions that might exist about the various IED products. So I will respond to any questions directly presented to me to answer, so feel free to ask anything you want.

I also want to make a few comments about the current 131/151 codes seen by some riders. I want to list some information that might help riders understand what is going on.

-For bikes with the 131/151 codes showing up, Riders are seeing these as historic codes, meaning that it is not impacting the way the bike runs. The condition that triggered the code is not occurring any more. Any active code that impacts the running of the bike would result in a Check Engine light going on.
-Despite what the Service Manual says, the codes are actually an indication that the ECM saw a low voltage signal on the O2 sensor input line. On a stock bike, this&nbsp\\;can be an issue and the manual is correct. On a bike with IED/XiED's installed, the voltage shift created by the IED's can put the ECM voltage below the ECM trigger threshold. So with IED/XiED's in place there is not a problem.
-Right after the XiED's were introduced, the small percentage of riders that initially reported the 131/151 errors were typically able to eliminate the codes by eliminating exhaust leaks. Even the smallest of&nbsp\\;exhaust leak can allow fresh air to enter the exhaust system. If this fresh air is moved through the system to the area of the O2 sensor, it reacts by producing lower voltage indicating a slightly leaner fuel mixture.
-The most common sources of exhaust leaks was the installation of slip-on mufflers. Improperly&nbsp\\;mounting the mufflers on the exhaust header can result in small "pin" leaks at the slots on the muffler. Even the smallest wisps of carbon would be an indication that a leak exists.
-The use of OEM muffler clamps seems to provide the best sealing of mufflers.
-On FLH based bikes, the OEM header pipes get moved around a great deal during muffler installation. Stress on the exhaust manifold gaskets can occur. Riders have indicated that they have either had to tighten the flange bolts or replace the gaskets.
-There are&nbsp\\;a few&nbsp\\;reports of loose O2 sensors. This is something that has been seen on bikes with complete exhaust system upgrades and a few brand new bikes. It is something that should be checked.
[ul][/ul]
The 131/151 codes are annoying and can be a little worrisome if you don't understand what is going on. But they are not hurting the engine in any way. Comments from many of the riders on the Forum indicate that&nbsp\\;they are choosing to ignore the codes because they like the reduction in engine heat and improved performance of the bike.
&nbsp\\;
These statements don't mean that I am not looking for ways to eliminate this issue. I am looking for ways to get rid of the historic codes. But the vast majority of riders are very happy with the improvements to their bike the IED's made. Remove the occurrence of these codes and issues would be essentially non-existent for the IED’s.
&nbsp\\;
As far as the differences between the IED's and XiED's or even other excellent products to alter the fuel mixture, this is a rider’s personal choice. Just like the choice of stock or aftermarket mufflers and the brand of muffler, it is an individual choice. There is no one right answer, only what is the best answer for that rider.
&nbsp\\;
From this point on, I plan on only responding to specific questions posed by participants of this forum to provide them with information they need to make informed decision. So if there is anything I can further explain, feel free to ask.
&nbsp\\;
Steve Mullen
Designer of the IED/XiED/ViED
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-18-2008 | 07:35 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: RE:IEDs, READ THIS!

Here's something from the Service Manual you all should read

[IMG]local://upfiles/53823/0D521A4A6FD34691A515AE8C3B645E2B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-18-2008 | 07:49 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Motor Medic we are seeing already that something as simple as a tiny air leak in your exhaust can trigger these codes.&nbsp\\; If your running a stock EGC with only the IED's I can't see any possible harm that you should worry about.
&nbsp\\;
Ride On...

Old 06-18-2008 | 08:03 PM
kry226
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Rider57

Here's something from the Service Manual you all should read

[IMG]local://upfiles/53823/0D521A4A6FD34691A515AE8C3B645E2B.jpg[/IMG]
If the site was working we might just be able to read that.

Old 06-18-2008 | 08:52 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Try this one.

http://people.delphiforums.com/1602_...e%20manual.jpg
&nbsp\\;
just ignore attachment.

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:21 AM
Jessie
Cruiser

Great Forum = Great People = Great RIDDING !&nbsp\\;Steve has a GREAT product and we are all Grateful so let's stop worrying and let's ride and B SAFE it's IN THE WIND !!!

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:34 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Jessie

Great Forum = Great People = Great RIDDING !&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;Steve has a GREAT product and we are all Grateful so let's stop worrying and let's ride and B SAFE it's IN THE WIND !!!
&nbsp\\;
+1

Old 06-19-2008 | 07:25 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

I removed my XIEDs&nbsp\\; from my bike because of the lean codes, no that I know that there is no problem as they are historic I will install them again. I do like the way they work on my bike, and the best bang for the bike for sure with the ease of install makes it a plus also. I do have a ? thought. My plugs never build any carbon on them, the only color showing is on the ground strap its light grey. I do run the breathers to ground and run a stock A/C. Thanks Doc

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test