Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008 | 11:03 AM
ultraJohn
6th Gear
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED'

My HD dealer parts guy that seems to know his stuff has told me that my XiEDs are going to F-up my plugs and will void any warranty claims. Has anyone had plug issues? I will remove the XiEDs when I take it in next week for it's 15K service.

Old 06-10-2008 | 12:06 PM
CDN. RG
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ultraJohn

My HD dealer parts guy that seems to know his stuff has told me that my XiEDs are going to F-up my plugs and will void any warranty claims. Has anyone had plug issues? I will remove the XiEDs when I take it in next week for it's 15K service.
when you say plugs ,I take it you mean sparkplugs,I have had my Xieds on for 2000 miles and mine look real good and the bike runs real good ,as far as warranty goes I don't think plugs are a warranty item any way ,and as far as any other warranty claims go you seem to have the right idea taking them off before taking the bike in for service ,what they don't know won't hurt YOU in this case.

Old 06-10-2008 | 04:03 PM
fastglass
Cruiser

I installed the xied's on the bike last friday and absolutely love them so far after about 400 miles.The PC3 goes on the shelf for now.

Old 06-10-2008 | 08:44 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: elpoman
&nbsp\\;I asked the same question, about the b codes, and it seems to have something to do with the ABS system.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I got a C1095 error code, and had to ask around on the forum, about it , and found out it was a front brake switch code.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I have cleared it, and am waiting to see if it comes back.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
Thanks&nbsp\\; &nbsp\\; I will do some searching too..

Old 06-11-2008 | 10:32 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

So we just had 4 straight 90+ days here in the Boston area and I can honestly say that in a combination of stop and go/highway driving that my bike runs much cooler. Though I could feel the heat on my right leg, it was never uncomfortable. I'm running the IEDs on my stock 08 EGC and have been very pleased with the changes since installing them. I do have a question about the codes though. Are they stored in the system and do I have to go looking for them? Would they pop up as the error occurs then go away? Can you get codes without a "check engine" light? I'm still pretty new to Harley, so pardon my ignorance. I will take the IEDs off for the 1,000 mile service when it goes in. I'll also be switching to synthetic in the tranny and motor which should also help heat wise. But I'll put them right back on when I leave the dealer. Thanks for your help.
Joe

Old 06-11-2008 | 10:49 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

Well, with the mention of failed spark plugs in the above post my ears perked up when the service writer told me that mine had failed.
&nbsp\\;
I had my bike out last weekend and it&nbsp\\;started running bad so I removed the Xied wires and still bad. I went to a dealer in the area&nbsp\\;and they test road it but couldn't put it on a rack for over an hour. I decided to take the bike to my dealer and they checked it out today. The service manager said the spark plug failed. I did not mention about the XiED wires at all. I did tell him that I had pulled both plugs and that&nbsp\\;they looked OK. He said unless I turned them upright I would not have seen that the center electrode was loose and sliding down and shorting out. With a new plug it runs great and I will install the wires tomorrow.
&nbsp\\;
So I am glad that it was the plug failing because of something else and not because of the XiED wires.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-11-2008 | 10:52 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

MotorMedic
&nbsp\\;
Here is the code info
&nbsp\\;
http://personal.linkline.com/cdesigns/Error%20Codes.pdf

Old 06-11-2008 | 03:57 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Nice catch by your dealer Mike.
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-11-2008 | 04:21 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

H-D does not warrenty sparkplugs other than manufacturing defects.
It's a good idea to remove the IED's or XiED's befroe a visit to your dealer

Old 06-11-2008 | 04:30 PM
whittlebeast
Road Master

Just for fun, I ordered a couple of versions of these to test on my totally stock Sportster.&nbsp\\; I will data log it with my&nbsp\\;SERT and see what sort of changes come about once the stock ECU homes back in.&nbsp\\; This is going to be fun &nbsp\\; I am also going to get a set of o2 eliminators to play around with.&nbsp\\; I will post acceleration runs to see what they really do for Torque.
&nbsp\\;
AW

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test