Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008 | 12:00 PM
Street G
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Has anyone on the board built their own 02 ieds? If so how did you build them with out soldering of the wires?

Old 02-24-2008 | 12:52 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ultra96rider

Rider57,

I am curious as to what the IAT is in the stock AC backing plate that you changed out. If on an 08 Ultrawith theNightrider02 IED's installed and a change out of the the IAT would this be a step toward keeping it almost stock but enrichening somewhat the AF mixture and a better cooler air flow?

Most of what you have accomplished is way beyond my expertise level but am trying to pick out a few simple things that might enhance and cool down the beast.

Thanks
The IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor is located on the throttle body. It is visable from the left side behind the horn on the intake manifold.
I left the OEM installed and use it as a plug or to put it back into the system if needed. I sense the air at a temp that is cooler than will be sensed at the OEM location by about 15 to 20 degrees. In the summertime it has little effect but enough to make a difference.

I didnt take a chance on soldiering the connections.I use crimp fittings ( Spade and Lug).

Old 02-24-2008 | 12:55 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: fastbagger

So, would the bike run 14.2:1 if you were to put on the power commander resistor caps and leave the power commander off?
I have never used a PC. I have the complete LC1 kit installed on my 07 RG and experimenting on my 08 RK with the resistors.

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:26 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Rider 57:

I am quite curious about the LC1's? Are these the ones offered by Nightrider?

My understanding of the Nightrider LC1 package is that it allows you to set the AFR for closed loop. I see in your post where you have multiple settings. Was this achieved with the LC1? Can you elaborate more as to how this works and how you were able to do this? In laymans terms would be helpful for me.

Thanks,

Old 02-24-2008 | 02:47 PM
ultra96rider
Intermediate

Rider57,

Thanks for the reply. I assume then that the wiring to the IAT can't be unplugged, must be cut and crimp connectors added. Would you recommend this modification for a CA bike in the bay area in ref to your comment about not makinga significant difference in the hot weather?

Old 02-24-2008 | 03:27 PM
Bill Hilly
Advanced

Street G - I have built my own and you don't have to crip them. You do not want to cut or saulder the O2 wires themselves...true. In fact if you tried you will find that they are stainless and you would not get the sauder to stick anyway. You can splice them in after the connectore ( bike side ) if you want (standard multistrand copper wire) or locate some Delphi male and female connectors and put them inline. The resistors have to be saudered together and over that you need to put some glue type shrink tube for strength. Gray wire is the negitive blue is the positive (sig out). I'm still trying to find a place where I can get the OE male and female connectors. I know they are standard Delphi connectors but which part #? Can anybody out there possibly look and see if there are any #'s on either of the connectors? Male (bike harness) and female (o2 side). That would be a huge help. I have my bike on order and I want to have my IED's ready to go when I take her home.

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:19 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Rider 57:

I am quite curious about the LC1's? Are these the ones offered by Nightrider?

My understanding of the Nightrider LC1 package is that it allows you to set the AFR for closed loop. I see in your post where you have multiple settings. Was this achieved with the LC1? Can you elaborate more as to how this works and how you were able to do this? In laymans terms would be helpful for me.

Thanks,

Dave
cruiser85257: That's the one's! I have been into electronics for over 40 years and a state emissinons inspector for 12.

I setup the system with a Scan-a-lyzer to prevent it from going into closed-loop mode. Sort of fooled it. I will look at my notes from the Scan-a-lyzer settings and see if it can be done without a test mode running in the ECU. I think it can by not exceding the threshold voltage of the ECU for stepping to open loop.

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:23 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Ultra96rider

Rider57,

Thanks for the reply. I assume then that the wiring to the IAT can't be unplugged, must be cut and crimp connectors added. Would you recommend this modification for a CA bike in the bay area in ref to your comment about not makinga significant difference in the hot weather?

The IAT plugs into the HD harness. Just unplug it, leave it in the manafold as a plug.Get one from your local dealer and mount it in the backing plate of the AC.

Old 02-24-2008 | 05:28 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

Bill Hilly these are the part numbers for the connectors:

Harley part numbers for the connectors:
2 of, 72009-05 Housing 2-way pin ALL
4 of, 72011-05 Wire Seal, 16-20 AWG (yellow) ALL GP/GV
2 of, 72006-05 Terminal, socket 16-20 AWG GP/GV
2 of, 72007-05 Housing 2-way socket GP/GV

For those interested in building your own IEDs, here is some more info:

This link is for the instructions to build the O2 IEDs from Nightrider
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hd2007HD_nbo2_volt_divide.htm

This link is to NAMZ Custom Cycles. For the connectors (thanks to cspcrx for the link)
http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/EFI%20Connectors.htm

You’re on you own for the resistors. I didn’t get that far before I decided to order the IEDs from Nightrider. You might check Radio Shack.

Old 02-25-2008 | 12:29 AM
ultra96rider
Intermediate

Rider57,

Thanks for all your work on this. By placing this new IAT in the ac backing + the nightrider 02 kit do you know what additional difference would be realized in the Air Fuel ratio so often referred to?

Any concerns about compatibility with the 08 50mm throttle body etc..

So even in temps above 75 just leave it in place in the ac box?

Great stuff.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test