Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 01:44 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Donny, the things you described were just the opposite of what my son says his Wide Glide did. His cooled down remarkably, not hot at stop lights anymore, 6th usable below 65mph now, exhaust not deeper. You may have something else going on with your ride. Maybe check your plugs and gap them to .42.

Old 06-03-2008 | 02:26 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: mike5511

I am not familiar with "Yenko". But I was out on the west coast then.

Rode new 08UC home, 150 miles. Ran great, cool day, didn't notice heat that much. Put XIEDs on, still runs great...EXCEPT...idle has jumped to about 1800 - 2000. I can twist throttle further back and it will drop to about 1000 or so, but if I let go of the throttle, it jumps back up. Did XIEDs cause this? Or, is this a common problem with the new "throttle by wire" deal? I know this, it is dangerous!!!! Any help appreciated.

As far as XIEDs.....bike still runs awfully hot it seems to me. Since it is new and I don't have much experience with it, I guess I need to get a IR thermometor and take some readings and compare to what others are getting.

I didn't know K & N had a filter. I ordered a SE.How much differencedo you thing between the two, other than price?
Sounds like you are forcing Parade Mode.
Cycle your ignition 4 times off and on with the Run / Stop switch in Run. Dont start the bike until the 5th time On. It should reset the Parade Mode if that is the problem.
To avoid this in the future, dont roll the throttle back, let it roll back on it's own.
Rider 57
After I thought about this for awhile I remembered reading about it somewhere on here. The dealer said I probably had my hand on the throttle when I shut it off.Told methe "secret code" to correct it......(what you said) don'tknow why that isn't inthe owners manual, isseems like it is pretty easy do.

Ithought the dealer had to turn theparade mode on before it worked???

Old 06-03-2008 | 06:29 AM
whamrick
Novice

Cycle your ignition 4 times off and on with the Run / Stop switch in Run. Dont start the bike until the 5th time On. It should reset the Parade Mode if that is the problem.
To avoid this in the future, dont roll the throttle back, let it roll back on it's own.

Rider 57
After I thought about this for awhile I remembered reading about it somewhere on here. The dealer said I probably had my hand on the throttle when I shut it off.Told methe "secret code" to correct it......(what you said) don'tknow why that isn't inthe owners manual, isseems like it is pretty easy do.

Page 140 of '08 Touring Models Owner's Manual:

"For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.....

Vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled. EITMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider using the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start the motorcycle).
2. Push the throttle to the roll-off position and hold.
3. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).
4. Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS."

What would be the result if you have EITMSon and haveXied's?

Old 06-03-2008 | 07:59 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

whamrick,

On the earlier 08 models the EITMS has to be done at the dealer. They added the option to do that yourself on later models. I think that you can have it done twice at no charge after that they charge you for it. The above procedure does not work on the earlier 08 models and is not covered in the manual.

For my set up with the XiED's I see no reason for having it enabled. The bike runs very cool now.

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:08 AM
whamrick
Novice

Here is Steve's response to the question "What would be the result if you have EITMS on and have Xied's installed?":

[blockquote]
"The EITMS and IED/XiED functions are independent. The impact of the XiED on EITMS would be to delay the initiation of this engine overheat protection function. Because EITMS is triggered by the engine temperature (when activated), a richer idle fuel mixture will help keep the engine cooler for a longer period of time.

Even though the IED/XiED's will delay high engine temperatures, this does not negate the need for EITMS in severe conditions like Main Street bike week at Daytona, Sturgis, Myrtle Beach, etc. Even some daily commuting rides (especially those in the afternoon) in rush hour traffic can still put the engine at risk of high temperatures.

So EITMS and the use of IED/XiED's is 100% compatible. There is no conflict between the two. While the actual use of EITMS should decrease with the IED/XiED's in place, the Harley engine is still air cooled. Despite the fact that a richer closed loop fuel ratio helps keep the engine cooler, it can not prevent the engine from heating up given very adverse conditions of high traffic congestion and high ambient temperatures. But the IED/XiED have proven to be the best "vaccine" to prevent the incidence of overheating."[/blockquote]

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:14 AM
whamrick
Novice

ORIGINAL: diebolt

whamrick,

On the earlier 08 models the EITMS has to be done at the dealer. They added the option to do that yourself on later models. I think that you can have it done twice at no charge after that they charge you for it. The above procedure does not work on the earlier 08 models and is not covered in the manual.

For my set up with the XiED's I see no reason for having it enabled. The bike runs very cool now.
Diebolt, thanks for the info on the timing of the EITMS activation. I guess the only way to see whether it works on your bike is to try to activate it.

Why would you NOT have the EITMS activated as a safety measure if you ever got caught in a summertime traffic jam? There doesn't seem to be any downside. In fact, I wonder why the bikes come from the factory with EITMS NOT activated?

Old 06-03-2008 | 08:52 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

whamrick,

On the earlier models we can't use that procedure to activate the EITMS. We have to go to the dealer for that. That is why they offer two free times before they charge. It would be nice if they could make the earlier models able to turn on or off the EITMS on our own. I am going to have them turn mine on when I have it in for the next service. Like you say why not have it ready for when you need it.

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:21 AM
Donny
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Other Sheep

Donny, the things you described were just the opposite of what my son says his Wide Glide did. His cooled down remarkably, not hot at stop lights anymore, 6th usable below 65mph now, exhaust not deeper. You may have something else going on with your ride. Maybe check your plugs and gap them to .42.
I will definately try that. I was going to buy plugs yesterday, but the dealer was closed. I'm going to get a couple exhaust clampsalso, and seal up the slip ons. I've been getting some popping, and found if I turn the bolt a little more,the popping changes, so there must be a leak there.

Old 06-03-2008 | 11:56 PM
heywood727
Road Master

EITMS can be activated and deactivated by owners of Touring bikes built Dec 2007 on. I have both the XIED's and EITMS active. Without the IED's, it would kick into parade mode after idle for about 15/20 mins. 30/35 mins with the IED's, and it hasn't kicked in since I've put the XIED's in and the weathers getting hotter.

Old 06-04-2008 | 03:39 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: whamrick

Rider 57

Page 140 of '08 Touring Models Owner's Manual:

"For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.....

Vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled. EITMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider using the following procedure:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not start the motorcycle).
2. Push the throttle to the roll-off position and hold.
3. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).
4. Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS."
quote]

O.K., I guess I didn't read close enough.........intend to read the whole manual buthaven't done it yet.....got a butt load parts to install, and that's more fun than reading the manual[8D] .......I still can't find how to return the throttle to "zero" position in the manual.....

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test