Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008 | 08:43 PM
elpoman
Advanced
Default RE: RE:IED'S

ORIGINAL: Noble Jim

Just run my first full tank....some two up, most just me. Some city, some small country roads, some highway. Averaged 39.6666 mpg with my brand new XIEDs. Lovin' it.
Jim
Is that 39.6666 mpg up or down form normal?

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:16 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master

ORIGINAL: elpoman

ORIGINAL: Noble Jim

Just run my first full tank....some two up, most just me. Some city, some small country roads, some highway. Averaged 39.6666 mpg with my brand new XIEDs. Lovin' it.
Jim
Is that 39.6666 mpg up or down form normal?
The ride is an 08 Ultra. Out of the box, the gas mileage was around 38-39. I put on Nightrider WBO2 Upgrades, mileage went down a couple of mgps. I changed the slip-onmufflers, then everything went south.The gas mileage went to about 34 mpg.At that point, I made many changes. I put on V&H True Duals, Rush Mufflers with 2" baffles, V&H Fuelpak andK&N Air Filter. When I installed the true duals, the WBO2 sensors were too long to fit on the rear header, so I removed the Nightrider stuff and put on Nightrider XIEDs. These last changes moved my fuel economy back up to a firm 39.67 mpg. I feel sure that on a long tour, with little in-town riding, my fuel economy will be 40+....can't wait to prove that.
Jim

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:19 PM
elpoman
Advanced

I'm getting around 40 mpg with a stock 08 ultra with the XIED's

Old 06-01-2008 | 09:24 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master

That's great. I have friends with Ultras and they also get that kind of mileage. I do like the changes that I made, the sound as well as the improved performance. This is my 3rd HD (first new one), the first two sounded GOOD, I wanted this one to sound good also, just didn't realize what you have to go through to make it that way. I guess thatmy ears are younger than the rest of me.
Jim

Old 06-02-2008 | 11:48 AM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: mike5511

I am not familiar with "Yenko". But I was out on the west coast then.

Rode new 08UC home, 150 miles. Ran great, cool day, didn't notice heat that much. Put XIEDs on, still runs great...EXCEPT...idle has jumped to about 1800 - 2000. I can twist throttle further back and it will drop to about 1000 or so, but if I let go of the throttle, it jumps back up. Did XIEDs cause this? Or, is this a common problem with the new "throttle by wire" deal? I know this, it is dangerous!!!! Any help appreciated.

As far as XIEDs.....bike still runs awfully hot it seems to me. Since it is new and I don't have much experience with it, I guess I need to get a IR thermometor and take some readings and compare to what others are getting.

I didn't know K & N had a filter. I ordered a SE.How much differencedo you thing between the two, other than price?

Never owned a "brand new" car until 2003. Never owned a "brand new" bike until 2008. Hope the bike turns out to be as good a purchase as the car was!!!......had a good running 55 Chevy2dr, 327, 300hp etc back in the early 70's....wish I had never sold it Couldn't afford the muscle cars back in the day. My choice in the 60's would have been the GTO, in the 70's 440 GTX, although it wouldn't have been hard to "settle" for some of the others being made back then.
Sounds like you are forcing Parade Mode.
Cycle your ignition 4 times off and on with the Run / Stop switch in Run. Dont start the bike until the 5th time On. It should reset the Parade Mode if that is the problem.
To avoid this in the future, dont roll the throttle back, let it roll back on it's own.

Old 06-02-2008 | 11:52 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: marvincbr

Is anyone having an issue with the bike dieing? A couple of times the bike has just quit on me coming off the expressway. I ride to work which is about 55 miles of 70 mph. When I get to the off ramp with light at the bottom, I let off the throttle and it flat out dies. It did not happen before I put the XIED's on. 07 RG, 103 kit, duels, SE a/c, and 2" rush slip ons. Any thoughts?
Make sure you also are not forcing Parade mode by closing the throttle by hand beyond the normal stop. Let off of the throttle easy.

Old 06-02-2008 | 11:56 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: heywood727

ORIGINAL: CDN. RG

Haywood 727,I believe the SERT uses the stock narrow band 02 sensors not wideband ,the t-max uses the wideband sensors,not bustin your ***** but have been researching the SERT because I may go that route and haven't read anywhere that you need to change sensors.
No problem.... I was pretty sure that it used wideband sensors. Rider57 is thye best person to answer that. If the SERT is able to get the AFR to say 13.5:1, I'm pretty sure that there is a 02 sensor change in there.

If your considering on going with a SERT, you might want to wait and check out Steve Cole's system coming out soon. He's with TTY and they own the hardware and software for the SERT up to 07. They've split from MOCO and are now free to do what they want to the system.
There is no O2 change with the big-bore kits. The ECU is capable of running, in stock map, 12.1:1 to 17.1:1.

Old 06-02-2008 | 12:50 PM
thatguy
Tourer

There is no change of 02 sensors with the SERT. The SERT can change the AFR to whatever you set it to in the AFR tables. Changing it to anything less than 14.6 will put the ECM in Open Loop - so it doesnt even use the O2 sensors - it just tells the ECM that you want 13.8 AFR and ignores the O2 circuitry.

2008 FLHTC
Stage 1
V&H Classics
SERT

Old 06-02-2008 | 06:45 PM
07SG61
Intermediate

Guess I'll put in my 2 cents... I've been running a Big Sucker intake, V&H SS slipons and a dyno tuned PCIII. I never did like the way the PCIII fit under the seat of my bike and I really didn't like the delayed starting that it caused. A few weeks ago I pulled the V&H slipons and went back to the stock mufflers just for the heck of it (and to keep from ticking off the neighbors at 4:30am). Bike still ran good, although quieter. Pulled the PCIII today and installed the XIED's. My bike now starts as soon as I push the button and IMO runs as strong as when I had the PCIII on it. In fact at very low speeds there are no more stumbles like when it was stock and even with the PCIII a little. Very pleased so far. Will report again with MPG's as the PCIII gave me around 37-40 MPG. According to the dyno sheet it looks like they tuned it to ~13.2 AFR, so maybe was a little rich. Thanks to all who posted on this thread...

Old 06-02-2008 | 11:45 PM
Donny
Road Captain

Well, my XIEDs showed up today, and I installed them. I only rode about 70 miles so far,so can't give a detailed report yet.One thing I noticed right away, is how quiet theexhaust is now. I have V&H slip ons, and stock air filter. When cruising, it sounds like a honda, now, which is kind of weird. In my opinion, it sounded better before the xieds, but I need more time with them. The idle is higher than before, too, but a hair smoother.The surging is still there, but is MUCH better than it was. Before, it was annoying totryto hold 30 or so mph, and now it's barely noticable. A lot of people said 6th geear was more usable withxieds, but I still can't use 6th below 70, but what I found, is that at 55-60, 5th doesn't seem like I'm over revving anymore. The bike seems real happy doing 60 in 5th now. The bike also seems to start better while hot. I don't get that "kick back" on the starter that it used to. I always hated that. I'm a little disappointed with the heat. I checked the temps4 times, in the same spot, after the same amount of time, and same route. Each time the temps were hotter. The last one was 388* on the rear and 379* on the front. Oil temp was 225*. I was cooking at stop lights, and don't remember it ever being that hot before.outside temp was about 86 today,(finally) so my stock temp readings are useless to me, untilI get a cooler day. It'll be a while before I cangive a gas mileage report, but I was getting 40 average before.
They definately work, but Ihaven't decided how much I like them yet. Only time will tell, I guess.So far, so good!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test