Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 07:32 PM
Donny
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I was getting the same codes when I tried putting spacers between the sensors and the pipes. Bike ran awsome, but the codes made me nervous, so I took the spacers out. I'm hoping I don't get the codes with the XIEDs. Most people that have them, don't get the codes, and makes me wonder how much different the ECMs are set up bike to bike. I also wonderwhat mods the people getting the codes has.There has to be a connection somewhere. Why would some get the codes, and some not?

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:38 PM
djhrln
Cruiser

I'm getting the codes with stock 08 EGC and XIED's. I also tried them on an 07 1200R, and got the codes on it as well.

Old 05-30-2008 | 01:52 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member

Put them (XiEDs) on my 07 Heritage. Have about 200 miles on with them installed. No codes. Good power. No HEAT. Running Vance and Hines big shot longs, K&N filter kit (RK-3909) and the fuel pak. 40 mpg city/hiway. Very pleased, worth the money just to be able to idle at a stoplight and not get hot like before. This is a major reduction in heat. The only bummer was having to read 40 pages to figure out what to do. But now I understand the closed loop system. Thanks all.

Old 05-30-2008 | 11:27 AM
Metalgear454
Intermediate

I received my Xied's and installed them after some baseline tests of cylinder head temps. It seems that in my configuration it added some decelleration popping. (I would imagine that this is due to the extra fuel that is burning in the exhaust due to the enrichment) (There is definetely no exhaust leaks, as I personally installed the slip-ons myself and used sealant and torque specs.) My bike is an 08 Lowrider all stock except for the addition of KhromeWerks 3" slip-ons. Temps stayed about the same however it was a cool night that I compared it. (65 degrees) I'm sure during some serious heat they will cool it some what. However does anybody think that a fresh air intake kit will help with the decelleration popping or will the Xied's compensate back to the same AFR?
To be honest it was very hard to judge any performance gains and I'm wondering if I should have gone with the regular Ied's. Any thoughts?

Old 05-30-2008 | 02:37 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Metalgear454

I received my Xied's and installed them after some baseline tests of cylinder head temps. It seems that in my configuration it added some decelleration popping. (I would imagine that this is due to the extra fuel that is burning in the exhaust due to the enrichment) (There is definetely no exhaust leaks, as I personally installed the slip-ons myself and used sealant and torque specs.) My bike is an 08 Lowrider all stock except for the addition of KhromeWerks 3" slip-ons. Temps stayed about the same however it was a cool night that I compared it. (65 degrees) I'm sure during some serious heat they will cool it some what. However does anybody think that a fresh air intake kit will help with the decelleration popping or will the Xied's compensate back to the same AFR?
To be honest it was very hard to judge any performance gains and I'm wondering if I should have gone with the regular Ied's. Any thoughts?
The XIED's work perfectly in 60 degree weather. I saw significant changes in temperature when it was 60 outside. The exhaust popping in most cases was cured by the XIED's. Read the last 43 pages as to performance gains. Something isn't right with your set up. It sounds to me like your XIED's are not working. Since they are so basic and simple, I would start checking things like your connections. They shouldn't have to be forced together. If so and the pins aren't aligned they can get bent. When you do get them to slide together you should here a nice snap sound as they are completely joined together.

Old 05-30-2008 | 03:15 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: mike5511

Steve,

That is what I wanted to hear! I have a SE Air Filter ordered, K & N doesn't have a RK3909 listed to fit an 08 last time I checked. I will probably go with V&H ovals, or a newslipon from Khrome Werks. Don't know much about them (Khrome Werks) but haveheard good things and they have a new3.5" muffler outfor cruisers/touring that has been described as sounding like the old 396SS Chevelle ascompared to the family sedan.......if you are old enough to remember that.With XIED, I don't plan on doing anything else.

Mike
I would check with K&N, it just might have not been updated on the site yet.

396 SS Chevelle, now your talking. My first brand new Car was a 68 SS Camaro with the 396 (350 hp), close ratio four speed and a 456 posi rear straight out of the factory. They were making some *** kicking cars back then. Do you remember the Yenko Chevies from Long Island? 427's with aluminum heads, and thats just for starters. The price for my new Camaro was $3,200. Wish I still had that car now, it would be worth a small fortune. Thanks for the memories.
You guys are killing me!
I had a 67 Cuda 440 from Baldwin Motion Performance, $4399.00

Old 05-30-2008 | 04:46 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: mike5511

Steve,

That is what I wanted to hear! I have a SE Air Filter ordered, K & N doesn't have a RK3909 listed to fit an 08 last time I checked. I will probably go with V&H ovals, or a newslipon from Khrome Werks. Don't know much about them (Khrome Werks) but haveheard good things and they have a new3.5" muffler outfor cruisers/touring that has been described as sounding like the old 396SS Chevelle ascompared to the family sedan.......if you are old enough to remember that.With XIED, I don't plan on doing anything else.

Mike
I would check with K&N, it just might have not been updated on the site yet.

396 SS Chevelle, now your talking. My first brand new Car was a 68 SS Camaro with the 396 (350 hp), close ratio four speed and a 456 posi rear straight out of the factory. They were making some *** kicking cars back then. Do you remember the Yenko Chevies from Long Island? 427's with aluminum heads, and thats just for starters. The price for my new Camaro was $3,200. Wish I still had that car now, it would be worth a small fortune. Thanks for the memories.
You guys are killing me!
I had a 67 Cuda 440 from Baldwin Motion Performance, $4399.00
Now your talking Andy. I loved the Cudas, especially the 426 Hemi's. I went Mopar when I sold the Camaro. Bought a 70 Dodge Coronet R/T with a 440, functional hood scoops (approx. $4,000). I even got a beautiful set of side pipes with the Chromed heat shields like the older Vettes had. I ran them off of my Hooker Headers.

It's amazing what the Automotive Industry can come up with when the EPA gets out of the way.

Old 05-31-2008 | 05:19 PM
loc
Cruiser

This was posted on another forum. If this is true the ECU can only go to 14.2 so why the XIED's for 13.8?
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Maybe this will answer your question.[/align]The SERT allows for the same O2 voltage offset as the Ieds, however the ECM will correct to 14.2 (based on maxed out bias table) based on the O2 output.[/align]Therefore "retricking", "double tricking", or whatever, will have no effect on the tailpipe output because 14.2is as rich as the ECM can be in closed loop cruise, which is plenty rich for all applications. If the signal has been "conditioned", or "offset" enough the ECM will not identify the voltage as "within range" and possibly log an"sensor out of range" code for it.[/align]So, I see no advantage to adding Ieds when the same result is possible with the SERT.[/align]

Old 05-31-2008 | 06:50 PM
heywood727
Road Master

No...it's not true.

As far as the ECM is concerned, it's at 14.7:1. The only info that the ECM get on the AFR is from the 02 sensors.

With the IED's or the XIED's they just reduce the voltage going back to the ECM. 13.8:1 is about as rich as you can go on the narrow band 02 sensors before it gets out of range. The SERT can do this and more because it uses wideband 02 sensors.

If you hitched a SERT to the ECM and an analyser that read AFR in the end of the exhaust pipe, you'd see what the difference is.

Use the XIED's as an example on a stock bike that runs 14.7:1

The SERT hitched to the ECM will see it at 14.7. The analyser will read 13.8. Same as the 02 sensors.The ecm will dump fuel into the cylinders until it's reading what it's programmed to. 14.7. The XIED's just fool the ecm into thinking that it's on the lean side and adds fuel.

The ecm has no idea that there is something in between it and the 02 sensors. That's how it adjusts to running at sea level or on the top of a mountain pass.

You can get the same results with the SERT..... for $600+ ( Don't forget you may want to dyno it as well on top of this) and void your warranty.

The IED's/XIED's get your AFR to 14.2/13.8 for $100. On and off in 5 mins.

Granted the SERT can do way more to all of the engine, but your paying for that.

Old 05-31-2008 | 10:09 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Metalgear454

I received my Xied's and installed them after some baseline tests of cylinder head temps. It seems that in my configuration it added some decelleration popping. (I would imagine that this is due to the extra fuel that is burning in the exhaust due to the enrichment) (There is definetely no exhaust leaks, as I personally installed the slip-ons myself and used sealant and torque specs.)
I am a early IED and XIED adopter and a happy customer!! I have gone from XIED with a stock 110 to a heavy breather to a heavy breather and Rush slipons with 1.75 baffles... and I too am getting decell popping.....is this a too rich or too lean condition???? I too am sure the slipons are on well I used some exhaust assembly paste and torqued to 55 ft. lbs. - manual says 50-60. All who would benefit from selling me one say I need a tuner... do I really?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test