Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 01:15 PM
kennyd42
Intermediate
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

My final conclusions on the XIED"S. They Work!! Got about 500 miles on mine so far, mostly riding 2 up here in the mountains of East Tn and Western NC. Lot of weight on the bike with me and the wife but won't go there lol. The low end is greatly improved and can now run 6th gear at 55-60 without the bike feeling like its lugging with 2 up. Bike is much more ridable and heat is noticeably less. Was considering an IDS but after adding the XIED'S I see no need for it at this time ,but may add it at 1st rear tire change. I don't see a need for the Stage One Download or any other mods at this time.

2007 FLHTC
Vance&Hines Basic Slipon's Otherwise Stock

Old 05-27-2008 | 03:54 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: scotsport

ORIGINAL: loc

Have XIED's on 08 Ultra with Rush SLips. Debating to go V&H fuelpack or not, or SE or K&N air cleaner. If I add the air cleaner I would imagine it would lean it up....

Main question is the V&H for open AND closed loop?
It may be overkill, but I have the FP and IEDs. They work well together - seemless.

Grateful for a advice as a happy IED user - is it worth upgrading to the XIEDs? Just bought the standard IEDs a couple of months back and all is well. Is it a case sometimes that more is not always best? I notice that on the Nightrider site, it's suggested that the XIEDs suit a more agressive riding style. I'm more of a plodder and cruiser with only the occasional blat!

Thoughts please.....
I would probably fall more into your category as a cruiser with the occasional Blat. I have run both the IED's and the XIED's. I loved them both. But The Xied's would be my first choice. I do get better fuel mileage with the XIED's the way I ride. My plugs look the best they have ever been. I do run an RK3909 K&N air kit as well as Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles. I personally don't think you need the FP with the XIED's. I know it would be a waste of money if I added it to mine. My Bike runs perfect for my riding style.

Old 05-27-2008 | 05:12 PM
SteveXL
Advanced

ORIGINAL: mike5511

Steve,

Do you have the stage 1 download??
I do not, runs great without it. Stage 1 download is a waste of money. If you want the re-calibration then save another $200 and get a SERT or a Power Commander.

Old 05-27-2008 | 05:16 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SteveXL

ORIGINAL: mike5511

Steve,

Do you have the stage 1 download??
I do not, runs great without it. Stage 1 download is a waste of money.
+1

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:19 PM
geedee
Advanced

I've been running with the xied's for over two weeks now. All I can say is They work! Bike is cooler and has more pep!Still waiting to get on the road and log some miles..so far around town the heat is gone. I've been in bumper to bumper in the 90's and this baby is warm! In the pass, hell I would have pulled over and shut down. Next mod is the air intake and slip on's.... Any Ideals?

Thanks,

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:27 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: geedee

I've been running with the xied's for over two weeks now. All I can say is They work! Bike is cooler and has more pep!Still waiting to get on the road and log some miles..so far around town the heat is gone. I've been in bumper to bumper in the 90's and this baby is warm! In the pass, hell I would have pulled over and shut down. Next mod is the air intake and slip on's.... Any Ideals?

Thanks,
I'm partial to the K&N kit (Model RK3909), you can buy it from your local auto parts store. They will probably have to order it, but it usually only takes a couple of days. I like my Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles. They are not too loud cruising and you can hear your radio just fine. The combo works great on my bike with the XIED's. My plugs are burning a perfect shade of light tan. Fuel mileage as high as 46.5 mpg.

Old 05-27-2008 | 08:58 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

I recieved my DYN OiED's in the mail today!

My bike:
2006 Dyna Streetbob
Vance and Hines Short shots
Screaming Eagle Stage one A/C
Harley Racing download
PCIII

It took me a little while to install the DYN OiED's because I opted to take the PCIII off the bike and see how it ran with only the DYN OiED's.

First impression:
The bike started alot easier. Cranked right up. After sitting there idling for a few seconds it threw an error code. DANGIT! No fear. I check the forum and find out that it is common and not to worry. SWEET!! Now back to the bike. I let it warm up and take it around the block. Bike still surges at low speed but is much better than when it was stock or with the PCIII. GOOD NEWS! I take it downa backroad and give it hell. The bike pulls hard and doesn't spit, fart, backfire, or complain at all.

So far, I am impressed with the DYN OiED's and they seem to be a good alternative to buying a fuel management system for much more money. I will keep the PCIII on the shelf for a little while and run some more tests on the bike before I can give a final verdict.

Old 05-28-2008 | 12:38 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Since I put on a heavy breather, I have gotten lower gas milage. This does not make sense... shouldn't the increased air lean out the mixture and thus increase milage? I have been having a hard time keeping my wrist from pulling that throttle so that may be the problem [8D] but this last tank (of 1.5 tanks) was 32 mpg. I will try and keep my wrist out of it and will take some longer - more highway trips this weekend. Still waiting on those rush pipes.

Old 05-28-2008 | 03:05 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Steve,

That is what I wanted to hear! I have a SE Air Filter ordered, K & N doesn't have a RK3909 listed to fit an 08 last time I checked. I will probably go with V&H ovals, or a newslipon from Khrome Werks. Don't know much about them (Khrome Werks) but haveheard good things and they have a new3.5" muffler outfor cruisers/touring that has been described as sounding like the old 396SS Chevelle ascompared to the family sedan.......if you are old enough to remember that.With XIED, I don't plan on doing anything else.

Mike

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:16 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

Going on 3 weeks now with my XIEDs - stock A/C and pipes, and have to say that with the 40mpg around town/50 on the road, the bike just feels good. I have no complaints whatsoever with these things. I'm definitely not lacking for needed power. Can't wait to get some more noise though when I get some rush on the rear of her.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test