Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:48 AM
kry226
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Hopefully this hasn't been covered before, but what is the difference between generation 1 and generation 2 XiEDs?

Old 05-21-2008 | 08:23 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

kry226,

The difference is that the gen 1 XiED'sare assembled just like the old IED's and the gen 2 are assembled like the one you see on his web page. The gen 1 sells for $89.00.

Click on links below to see each one.

Gen 1

Gen 2

Old 05-21-2008 | 09:42 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

Hi Guy's,

I've been out enjoying my much cooler ride. Since you all know what your bike sounds likeI'll attach a video/sound byteof mystock 08 EGC with XiEDs. The only thing different is the XiEDs and it has about 2000 miles on these original touring mufflers.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/34928...43_adRMr/Large

Don't leave home without them

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:07 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HDDOC

Took my Super trapps off my bike and installed them on my friends all stock FLHX also installed my XIEDs on his bike. With the same discs in each side as I had taken them off my bike his bike does not pop on upshifts or on decell, no popping whats so ever. I now believe the problem is running True Duells with the XIEDS or IEDs as I have tried both. His bike runs as good as mine was running ,less heat, better trottle response, but I did feel more heat from the cross over vs. the duells. I will most likely change back to stock headers. Doc
That's a shame to have to pull off the duels. You would think 13.8 would be adequate for the duel set up. I wonder what Steve would comment on this situation?

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:09 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

Hi Guy's,

I've been out enjoying my much cooler ride. Since you all know what your bike sounds likeI'll attach a video/sound byteof mystock 08 EGC with XiEDs. The only thing different is the XiEDs and it has about 2000 miles on these original touring mufflers.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/34928...43_adRMr/Large

Don't leave home without them

Ride well,

Jim
Pretty impressive with stock exhaust. Your Bike is sounding real good.

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:10 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: diebolt

Rider57

I know that gas nationwide has all different blends but can you give usany idea of what brands we should be using. What additives should we be looking for and what do we need to stay away from?

Thanks for all your input in this thread you and the others have made us Very Happy Campers.
Many years ago when I was young, I drove the Big eighteen wheeler tankers that deliver gas to the stations. Certain companies have their own fleet of Trucks like Exon that do all their own deliveries. The ones you have to watch out for are the independent gas stations that get their deliveries from independent Trucking companies. It was not uncommon for a station owner to ask a driver to drop unleaded regular in the unleaded High Test tank. The reason being they would make a greater profit.

My suggestion is to find company owned gas stations that receive their gas from the company fleet. Because they are all company Men, they don't mess around switching gas in the tanks. When you find a good station, stick with them and fill up there always when possible.

Tip number two. Never buy gas when you see the delivery truck in the station dropping their load. The gas flows so quickly into the tank and stirs up sentiment from the bottom, which you will pump if you get your gas while they're delivering.

I try to buy Chevron all the time because it contains Techron (tradename). Techron is techrolene, which some Motorcycle dealers sell as a fuel additive. For example Yamaha sells a fuel additive called "Ring Free", which is like 100% Techrolene. It's real good stuff and does a good job of keeping your valves clean.
I could'nt have stated it better. Try different BRAND names, high octane only. I am sure you will find the "food" your bike likes.

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:45 AM
SteveXL
Advanced

ORIGINAL: kry226

Hopefully this hasn't been covered before, but what is the difference between generation 1 and generation 2 XiEDs?
The Gen2 as you see in the pics that were posted earlier, the Gen2 is a better build. I would be less worried about bending and breaking leads. The rear O2 isn't a problem, however, the front O2 requires more bending which can get tricky. For $10 more I would recommend the Gen2, however, for $89 with free shipping the Gen1 is hard to beat.

Old 05-21-2008 | 11:54 AM
kry226
Advanced

kry226,

The difference is that the gen 1 XiED'sare assembled just like the old IED's and the gen 2 are assembled like the one you see on his web page. The gen 1 sells for $89.00.

Gen 1

Gen 2
Thanks for the pics, Diebolt. I am assuming that each one works identically, so what's the advantage of one over the other? Is one thought to be more reliable or durable?

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:22 PM
SteveXL
Advanced

ORIGINAL: kry226

kry226,

Gen 1

Gen 2
Thanks for the pics, Diebolt. I am assuming that each one works identically, so what's the advantage of one over the other? Is one thought to be more reliable or durable?
See my post above

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:13 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: HDDOC

Took my Super trapps off my bike and installed them on my friends all stock FLHX also installed my XIEDs on his bike. With the same discs in each side as I had taken them off my bike his bike does not pop on upshifts or on decell, no popping whats so ever. I now believe the problem is running True Duells with the XIEDS or IEDs as I have tried both. His bike runs as good as mine was running ,less heat, better trottle response, but I did feel more heat from the cross over vs. the duells. I will most likely change back to stock headers. Doc
That's a shame to have to pull off the duels. You would think 13.8 would be adequate for the duel set up. I wonder what Steve would comment on this situation?
Duals have somewhat the same effect of some 2 into 1's, less backpressure for the exhaust system. This causes scavanging and that is the major cause of popping on decel.
If you want to run duals, I suggest you invest in some torque cones the will fit properly.
A tunable 2 into 1 like Supertrapps with 10 discs and the closed end cap work great in 99% of the tests done here at the lab.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test