Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:22 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: diebolt

Rider57

I know that gas nationwide has all different blends but can you give usany idea of what brands we should be using. What additives should we be looking for and what do we need to stay away from?

Thanks for all your input in this thread you and the others have made us Very Happy Campers.
Many years ago when I was young, I drove the Big eighteen wheeler tankers that deliver gas to the stations. Certain companies have their own fleet of Trucks like Exon that do all their own deliveries. The ones you have to watch out for are the independent gas stations that get their deliveries from independent Trucking companies. It was not uncommon for a station owner to ask a driver to drop unleaded regular in the unleaded High Test tank. The reason being they would make a greater profit.

My suggestion is to find company owned gas stations that receive their gas from the company fleet. Because they are all company Men, they don't mess around switching gas in the tanks. When you find a good station, stick with them and fill up there always when possible.

Tip number two. Never buy gas when you see the delivery truck in the station dropping their load. The gas flows so quickly into the tank and stirs up sentiment from the bottom, which you will pump if you get your gas while they're delivering.

I try to buy Chevron all the time because it contains Techron (tradename). Techron is techrolene, which some Motorcycle dealers sell as a fuel additive. For example Yamaha sells a fuel additive called "Ring Free", which is like 100% Techrolene. It's real good stuff and does a good job of keeping your valves clean.

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:34 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I do use three different Mobil stations by my house on a regular basis. I will try out Chevron gas to see how that works.

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:56 PM
drichards
Cruiser

Check out my post on my Xied install. Didn't notice the big temp drops but I installed slip-ons and K&N filter along with the enhancers and didn't gain in heat by leaning out. Bike runs much stronger now. Overdrive is usable below 70mph.

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:41 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Cruiser, I added the IED's the day after I got home from picking up the bike (a 160 mile run and it popped big time on decel). I felt that performance improved somewhat with the IED's so they were functioning but the decel popping was still there. Now that I'm working the bike a bit I also get popping between shifts when running hard up through the gears.

The dealer installed the Ovals but I've been wondering about leaks so I'm going to check the clamps tomorrow to ensure thay are tight and not sucking air. I understand how that causes problems. Also got some high temp silicon if needed.

Diebolt, glad to hear your setup works well and bye the way, I ordered a set of XIED's today so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:57 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

BCGuy when you start up the Bike cold sometimes you can move your hand underneath and around where the connection joint is and feel a puff, puff of air hitting your hand if it's a good leak.

Good Luck, maybe it will be something easy to fix like just tightening the clamp.

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:52 PM
GMul
Advanced

can you give usany idea of what brands we should be using.
Jim,

FWIW, the folllowing site discusses Top Tier gas. Click on "Retailers" to get a list of the brands meeting the specs.

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Gary
2008 FLSTC
Stock except XIEDs

Old 05-20-2008 | 10:31 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Gary,

Thanks, I saved that in my bookmarks. I guess I will be changing my local station to one on the list.

Old 05-20-2008 | 10:46 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Cruiser

Thanks for the info. I do use three different Mobil stations by my house on a regular basis. I will try out Chevron gas to see how that works.
Your welcome Jim

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:39 AM
gmeikle
Cruiser

Chiming in again from Perth western Australia.I had posted earlier in this thread having installed IED's on my previous '07 FXSTC with great results.

I have a new '08 FXSTC Anniversary Softail Custom,done 700K's (450 miles?) since delivery last Monday 12th May.I hadwanted to fit XiED's to this bike from new,but they arrived 3 days after I'd picked up the bike.

First thingI noticed with the new bike was how hot it ran compared to my just sold '07 which had had original IED's since January this year (high Aussie summer remember!). I had done 130K's as a "stock" bike with Khrome werks tapered slip on mufflers. As soon asI fitted the XiED's I had a "happier' bike. With a K&N HD-1499 stock replacement air filter the bike really boogies in acceleration and in freeway"roll-on" power pulls.With only 700K's I've not been ***** out yet, butI can feel it "wants" to go. I've had it briefly on downhill stretches to 140 Km/H and it's nowhere near full revs in 6th.

THE International HDI bikes have flapper valves in the exhaust and intake tracts (now pissed off from day 1). Our airboxes then have a bigger air intake area than the stock US bikes I suspect. Our airboxes have effectively a forward facing "scoop" once you've ditched the sound reducing air intake flapper.

Fuel consumption so far has averaged46 mpg (US gallon).( I had to convert that from Litres/100Km).

The bike is running on BP Ultimate98 octane gas (no ethanol in this state yet).
Redline HD 20/60 in the oil tank
Redline Shockproof heavy gear oil,filled at an early 500K's oil change.

I have agreed with Steve at nightrider to perform and report on XiED's as fitted on HDI international models. In due course when I've done a few more K's and have the bike run in fullyI will be doing just that.I will also keep this thread fully informed.

Old 05-21-2008 | 06:44 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Took my Super trapps off my bike and installed them on my friends all stock FLHX also installed my XIEDs on his bike. With the same discs in each side as I had taken them off my bike his bike does not pop on upshifts or on decell, no popping whats so ever. I now believe the problem is running True Duells with the XIEDS or IEDs as I have tried both. His bike runs as good as mine was running ,less heat, better trottle response, but I did feel more heat from the cross over vs. the duells. I will most likely change back to stock headers. Doc

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test