Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 12:35 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

ORIGINAL: ronyd

I was able to get the connectors from local HD stealer. Ordered the pins. should have them next week. I'll let everyone know if the part numbers supplied are correct. Cost was $19.00. Add resistors, maybe complete project for $21.00... not bad for home brew cables..
Ronyd, the title of this thread is field testing the IED, not how to build your own and save money. I suggest you start a new thread and call it how to build your own and save money, or what ever you choose to call it. But the way I see it is without Steve at Nightrider we wouldn't be having this discussion. You wouldn't have the idea to go to HD and gather parts to build your own. Steve is solely responsible for contributing probably the single greatest mod for our Bike at a whooping price of under $100.

I gladly pay that money for his time, and research and development. It has turned my bike into the dream bike I always wanted. I will not construct my own and beat him out of a few dollars. He deserves every penny that comes his way for his contribution. I say this respectfully and simply ask that you honor my wishes since I am the author who started this topic.

Thanks in advance

I'm just a Happy Customer.

Old 05-20-2008 | 12:58 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

SGDUDE, just installed IEDs on the wife's '07 Heritage along with a Big Sucker and VH Softail Duals. Decel pop is dramatic and at it's worst when the throttle is chopped after a hard pull but it ALWAYS pops. Getting ready to take off the IEDs and put on a PCIII from Fuelmoto. Will update with results.

Old 05-20-2008 | 01:54 PM
ronyd
Road Master

Sorry,
just replying to someone's post on this thread, and I believe i'm working off from Steve's own design which he released for public viewing on nightrider. No problem, I'll post on DIY.

Old 05-20-2008 | 02:05 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ronyd

Sorry,
just replying to someone's post on this thread, and I believe i'm working off from Steve's own design which he released for public viewing on nightrider. No problem, I'll post on DIY.
Ron, your right Steve did post how to build an IED on his site. No need to apologize you certainly have the right to do it yourself. I would just prefer you do it by means of a new thread. Thanks for understanding.

Dave

Old 05-20-2008 | 03:37 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Leftcoaster, I'm also getting serious exhaust popping with the IED's installed. Running SE a/c, Stg 1 ECM upload and V&H Ovals. I'll be watching to see if the PCIII makes a difference.

Old 05-20-2008 | 04:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BCguy

Leftcoaster, I'm also getting serious exhaust popping with the IED's installed. Running SE a/c, Stg 1 ECM upload and V&H Ovals. I'll be watching to see if the PCIII makes a difference.
There's no reason why you should have what you describe as serious popping. What were you running before the IED, and did you have popping?

Slip on mufflers are famous for popping because of an air leak where the muffler slips onto the header pipe. It is always recommended that you use new muffler clamps when you install new mufflers. Another trick that works quite well is to use high temperature permatex sealant.
(Permatex Ultra Copper RTV silicone gasket). Any air leak causing fresh air to get sucked into the exhaust will surely cause popping and back fires depending on it's severity.

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:02 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

BCguy,

I have the same set up as you except I am running the XiED's. I have no popping at all and don't recall any when I was running the IED's. Make sure that your clamps are tourqued down to 70 Ft/Lbs. Also try the sealant like Cruiser said. My set up runs great.

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:40 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have tested 3 different bikes that have the same rider compliant. "It's still hot", so they assume that the IED's /XiED's are not working.
On all 3 bikes ( 1-2007Ultra and 2-2008 Ultras) the measured AFR was 13.8:1 with the XiED's and 14.2:1 with the IED's.
Measured exhaust temps, 2 inches above the O2 ports on the exhaust tube (not the covers) showed over 540F.
These readings were done at the lab and are within normal limits at AFR 14.7:1 (525F to 620F).
When we changed to a known premium gasoline the high heat was gone.
Exhaust temps then read 430F (low) 457 (high), AFR 13.8:1.
MAKE SURE you are getting the gas you are paying for and double check what additives they have in it!

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:02 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Rider57

I have tested 3 different bikes that have the same rider compliant. "It's still hot", so they assume that the IED's /XiED's are not working.
On all 3 bikes ( 1-2007Ultra and 2-2008 Ultras) the measured AFR was 13.8:1 with the XiED's and 14.2:1 with the IED's.
Measured exhaust temps, 2 inches above the O2 ports on the exhaust tube (not the covers) showed over 540F.
These readings were done at the lab and are within normal limits at AFR 14.7:1 (525F to 620F).
When we changed to a known premium gasoline the high heat was gone.
Exhaust temps then read 430F (low) 457 (high), AFR 13.8:1.
MAKE SURE you are getting the gas you are paying for and double check what additives they have in it!
Wow, that's very interesting Andy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:07 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Rider57

I know that gas nationwide has all different blends but can you give usany idea of what brands we should be using. What additives should we be looking for and what do we need to stay away from?

Thanks for all your input in this thread you and the others have made us Very Happy Campers.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test