Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008 | 12:13 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I'm not up on the V&H's fuel pack but, wouldn't the IED's basically doing the same job as the fuel pack??

Would one cancel out the other?

[blockquote]quote:

B. Alternatively, you follow the recommendation of the MOCO and have a Stage I download installed. Supposedly the Stage I download will return the closed loop A/F ratio back to EPA legal 14.7. If you now install the Nightrider IED's, I believe that the A/F ratio will be 14.2 in closed loop mode. This would definitely help withthe lean running and high temperature issues. The Nightrider IED's would be a great addition to Stage I mods and a Stage I download.[/blockquote]

You'd also get the open loop areas back to stock AFR (or close to it) due to the download. So basically you'd have close to the same AFRs as a stock bike with the IEDs.
I think he's right. If you go with the stage 1 w/o the download, it would make sense that the bike would lean out to 15.1. The download changes the VE and/or timing to bring it back to 14.7. So putting the IED's in tricks the ECM into thinking that it's still at, say 15.2 and dumps more fuel to it till the 02 sensor tell it it's at 14.7 when infact it really is at 14.2.

So basically you'd have close to the same AFRs as a stock bike with the IEDs.
In the mind of the ECM. It doesn't know about the IED's. It still thinks it's got a direct link to the sensors.

Old 02-22-2008 | 05:53 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

ToBeFrank:

Thanks for the reply. You pretty much confirmed my thinking. I think I will keep the stock A/C and the IED'sfor now . When I get a chance, I will remove the IED's, get the Stage I download. Then I will reinstall the SE A/C and the IED's.

For the riding I do, I do not plan on any additional mods, so I am pretty sure that route will work satisfactorily for me. I see no reason to spend the money for another dyno run with the stock A/C just to prove a point.

Old 02-22-2008 | 08:27 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Mr Clean great experiment. Speaking of the stock airbox. Too cold here for me to ride. I have a '07 FLHX with the IED's. Can't wait to try them out. I emailed Nightrider and was told that they recommend using the IED's with the stock airbox with a k&n airfilter element. Joe Minton wrote an article in American Rider a few months ago saying that the stock airbox makes more tourqe in the midrange vs the s/e a/c and that the s/e a/c makes more top end hp. I have the stock airbox with a k&n filter with stage 1 ecm download. I will see come this spring.

Old 02-22-2008 | 05:39 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

You guys are getting there. I have been running the 2 LC1's on my RG for quite a while. Temps are way down, 340 to 210. Here in the mountains at 10000 ft we are lean to say the least. They work for me. before getting the LC1 conversion, I figured out the resistor values nnede to get about 14.1:1 AFR ( 12K and 25K). They cooled the head temp down by 40 degrees. Great work guys. Your gonna like like it.

Old 02-22-2008 | 07:33 PM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

Rider57,

The Nightrider O2 IEDs uses 20k OHM and 10K OHM resistors. 25k and 12k is pretty close. Also what temps are you refering to?

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:32 PM
Street G
Cruiser

Can any body tell me how long the ied's are from plug end to plug end? Thanks.

Old 02-22-2008 | 09:55 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Approx 6 inches end to end

Old 02-23-2008 | 04:55 AM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

fastbagger: What is the part # for the K&N filter you are using in the stock airbox?

Old 02-23-2008 | 07:33 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Here it is

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=HD-1499

Old 02-23-2008 | 08:58 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Exhaust temps at the head or about 1 to 2 inches down the tube. I have a background in electronics and started with a decade resistor box to experiment with the idea that the output of the O2 sensors are voltage and knowing the input range to them does not leave much in the way of analog signals (voltage) to play with. The original values I used gave me the best results but I found that they also provides too much load for the 0 to 1 volt range. The 25K and 12K values I used first made the AFR too rich. Next I tried values of 22K and 12K. This gave me the AFR of 13.7 and that is where the current value is staying until later today. This is my second bike I am "playing " with. The RG has the LC1 kits installed and programmed with LogWorks. I runs perect for me and my habits. At idle the AFR is 13.0:1. Off idel to 20% the AFR is 13.5:1 and above 20%TP it is 13.7:1.
I did reprogram just lastnight for the above values.
Keep in mind as I am sure most of you do, every engine is different. My altitude is also at 4800 ft which makes a difference.
I about 2 hours I will have tested the 20K and 10K values and see what that does at this elevation.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test