Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 09:37 AM
beerguytx
Cruiser
Default RE: RE:IED'S

The Xieds don't work on my set up. Bike is still running very hot, 265 oil temp which is where it was before.

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:16 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: beerguytx

The Xieds don't work on my set up. Bike is still running very hot, 265 oil temp which is where it was before.
Same here.....I installed them on my wife's bone stock FLHX last week.....it definitely runs better, but the rear cylinder was still at 370 degrees....front at 320

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:28 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

kdietz & beerguytx,

Does the bike seem to run cooler?

Take the bike out on a long run (in the heat) on the open road and stop and go traffic.

Remove the XiED's and go on same run and see if you notice any difference.

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:35 AM
kdietz
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: diebolt

kdietz & beerguytx,

Take the bike out on a long run (in the heat) on the open road and stop and go traffic.

We had low 90's yesterday while I rode her bike....the heat isn't an issue while riding at all.....just on the infrared gauge

We're not disappointed with the way the bike runs....smoother, better roll on power....fuel mileage yet to be seen

Old 05-19-2008 | 12:27 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Karl,

I know that my bike in the upper 90's with the lower fairings still on will runin the high 200'son the front &mid 300'son the rear cylinder. This is running at highway speed and stoping and quickly checking thetemps.

If I check after I am in traffic & signals the temps arelow 300's front &high300's rear when I stop and check the temp.

I don't know if my gauge is correct but I do know that the bike is a lot cooler with the XiED's on.

I do know that my bike will be hotter than a bike without lowers because I have dead air behind the lowers and that can't help with cooling the front orback cylinder.

Old 05-19-2008 | 01:12 PM
heywood727
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: loc

Does anyone have a dyno on these XIED's that shows AFR before and after comparison to really see if they do the 14.7:1 down to 13.8:1 during the closed loop?
This is from Rider57. He did this test for Steve just before the XIED's were released. He might have an updated one. It shows the HP. There was one other I thought, but I didn't save it. Rider works at an EPA lab (i think) so I'm not sure if he has access to a dyno for TQ.

He may have one that shows both. I'm not sure? This does show the differences in HP with different set ups. Look through the earlier posts. I thought I seen one, but it could have been a copy and paste thing from HD on what the Stage 1 does now that I think of it?

Does this help?
Heywood

[IMG]local://upfiles/50578/07B1078620304EC782EF0AD98B8764C2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008 | 01:56 PM
beerguytx
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: diebolt

kdietz & beerguytx,

My bike did not run any cooler with the XIEDS.

Old 05-19-2008 | 02:01 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

I would double check all connections and if they are all OK I would test the XiED's.

On Nightriders web site he has instructions how to do that.

Old 05-19-2008 | 02:15 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

From Nightriders Web Site:

Testing the NBO2 Inline Enrichment Device off and on the bike
If at any time you think your O2 IED is not working properly, you should first make sure the connectors are properly plugged in and are tight. If you still feel there is an issue, you need to remove it from the bike first. Test your O2 IED with a 1.5V battery, 2 paper clips and a volt meter. First you need to check the battery to make sure it is producing 1.5V. Open up the paper clips and install them into the female connector (wiring harness side). Touch the battery to the paper clips so the (+) side is on the blue wire site and the (-) on the grey side. Touch the voltmeter to the male connectors (wiring harness side). You should see 1.00 to .90 volts or about 30% less than the battery voltage. If the correct voltage is present, the O2 IED is working correctly.

You can also check your O2 IED on the bike.
Disconnect the O2 IED at the wiring harness connector. Your O2 IED will still be connected to the oxygen sensor. Start the engine up, letting it warm up for 2-3 minutes. With a voltmeter connected to the two pins in the connector, check the voltage. Normal voltage should be .250 to .750 volts with the engine running. If there is no voltage at the O2 IED pins, disconnect the O2 IED from the oxygen sensor. Check the voltage at the sensor pins. Normal voltage should be .250 to .750 volts. If there is no voltage at the oxygen sensor, the oxygen sensor is bad. If there is voltage at the oxygen sensor, but not at the O2 IED, then the O2 IED needs replacement.

Old 05-19-2008 | 02:58 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: kdietz

ORIGINAL: beerguytx

Same here.....I installed them on my wife's bone stock FLHX last week.....it definitely runs better, but the rear cylinder was still at 370 degrees....front at 320
Beerguy, I have an FLHX like your wife. I am running the XIED's. Hottest day I have ridden so far was 94 degrees. Front cylinder was 280 degrees, and rear was 300 ~ 305 at the hottest reading. I've never seen my Bike go over 305 since I put the XIED's on it. Before with another fuel mngt device I was running 350 degrees on a 60 degree day. But not with the XIED's.

Those are hot temps for your wifes bike. Something isn't right.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test