Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008 | 06:14 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: RE:IED'S UPDATE

This one has me puzzled,what the heck is a gen 1 design,I thought they were all the same (xied's])OK never mind I now know what you are talking about,I need more coffee.ORIGINAL: SteveXL

Well, I just ordered my XiED's through the Google shopping link that nightrider has on their website (Special Deals sales area). Only $89.00 including shipping. It says they are the Gen 1 design but the actual electronic components are the same, but that the way they are manufactured is different. No biggie for me as I am an Electronics Engineering Tech so I think if anything happens I will easily be able to figure it out. So, hopefully they get sent out and get to my house in a little over a week.
[/quote]

Old 05-17-2008 | 06:48 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Just pulled my plug again, still look like new, Engine temps are down 212 to 230 average city and freeway, . The bike is lean but is way better than stock with the XIEDs still has a slight pop upshift and decell. I am at sea level and use 93 oct fuel , I believe the true duels is what is causing the lean condition as everyone else is getting good plug readings and no pop.I have the adjustible 3" internal super traps and have tried about every combo of discs and caps with the same pop, not bad very slight. I guess I will live with it, as the bike runs really well and not hot. Thanks Doc

Old 05-17-2008 | 09:09 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: RE:IED'S

This is a very interesting thread and I have been following it from the begining. I just bought a new Road Glide. I want to leave it stock. I like the quiet exhaust and don't have the cash to change anyhow. All I want to do is cool it down some. I want to do something at 1000 miles and I've got 600 on it now. Can I use the XIED'S with the stock air box and mufflers? Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:35 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heavymetalthunder

This is a very interesting thread and I have been following it from the begining. I just bought a new Road Glide. I want to leave it stock. I like the quiet exhaust and don't have the cash to change anyhow. All I want to do is cool it down some. I want to do something at 1000 miles and I've got 600 on it now. Can I use the XIED'S with the stock air box and mufflers? Thanks for the advice.
If everything is going to stay stock, you could be just as happy with the IED's. If it were my bike like this, I'd opt for the XIED's and if you found it too rich, you shouldn't have any trouble selling them and going with the IED's.

I sold my IED's to a friend with a 07 1200 Sportster. Stage 1 with Cycle Shack bottle nose pipes. His wife has the same bike and set- up except slash cut Cycle Shacks. He was getting a surge in 3rd and popping on excelleration. HD was telling him it was his pipes. They tried multiple downloads trying to get it right. Nothing worked. I gave him the IED's to try and he's one happy camper now.

It seems to me that the bottle nose pipes had someting to do with it. If the exhaust system partly uses the exhaust waves to help take the spent gasses out out the cylinder, it would make sence that the bottle noses might reflect some of that back up the exhaust chamber. It's the only reason I can think of as to why 2 identical bikes with the same set-up would act like that?

BTW.... I've got a nice light coating of black soot on the end of my exhaust now. Beautiful sign that I'm finally on the rich end of things. It's a lot better look than before.

Old 05-17-2008 | 02:11 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: heavymetalthunder

I would agree with Heywood. If your going to stay completely stock the IED's will do the job very nicely. It's a Biker thing that we always want bigger and better. But I remember when I had the IED's on my bike, it was running so good. Steve wanted me to take them off and be a test pilot for his XIED. I told him no the first time, because my bike was running so good and I didn't want to mess with it. That should give you an idea how good they work.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Old 05-17-2008 | 02:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: HDDOC

Just pulled my plug again, still look like new, Engine temps are down 212 to 230 average city and freeway, . The bike is lean but is way better than stock with the XIEDs still has a slight pop upshift and decell. I am at sea level and use 93 oct fuel , I believe the true duels is what is causing the lean condition as everyone else is getting good plug readings and no pop.I have the adjustible 3" internal super traps and have tried about every combo of discs and caps with the same pop, not bad very slight. I guess I will live with it, as the bike runs really well and not hot. Thanks Doc
Doc in the old days it was easy to figure out how good your bike was running fuel ratio wise. You looked for that tan color on the plug. Now with more efficient engines and different types of fuel you can have any where from a white plug to a hint of tan and be considered normal. So you look at other signs. Most important is how hot the engine runs. Carbon build up in the exhaust, a nice light coat is good. Exhaust pipes, seeing a nice gold color by the exhaust port in the bend is a real good sign your mixture is good.

The popping could very well have to do with your exhaust set up, and have nothing to do with AFR. Any leaks in that system can introduce air which will cause popping. That's where I would start looking.

Old 05-17-2008 | 04:40 PM
MotorMedic
Advanced

HMThunder, I put the IEDs on my new stock 08 ECG. It runs great, throttles up better, sounds better, and is cooler. I've only put 300 miles on the bike so far, but the difference after adding the IEDs at 100 miles is quite noticible. I have a nice gold color on my exhaust and the bike runs and idles way better than before. I'll look at the plugs after some more miles and report back. I don't forsee going to the XIEDs at this point unless I change the pipes. Try them (the IEDs) 1st and see what you think. It's less money than you'll ever spend at the dealers even when you're "just lookin". Good luck with your new RG. I'm sure you'll love it even more when you get IED'd.

Joe

Old 05-17-2008 | 09:34 PM
G Rod
Tourer

XIEDs' installed and I am pleased. Runs cooler, downshifts are smoother, I can run higher gears at lower speeds without it jerking its guts out. Life is better.

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:02 PM
Hiflyer
Cruiser

G Rod,
To what do you attribute 50+ MPG? The whole 4203 mile trip couldn't have all been down hill. I have the same bike as you and don't get anywhere near that kind of mileage. I ordered an XIED today. Maybe that'll help. Seriously, I would like to know how you get that kind of mileage.

Old 05-18-2008 | 07:02 AM
Cruiser 1970
Road Master

To what do you attribute 50+ MPG?

"Fuzzy Math"

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test