Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008 | 04:53 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

Jim, quite the opposite. Usually the IED's cure the leaness surge the Bike has stock. You can certainly see up here the many who have tried them with great success. Go ahead and use them with confidence.

Just a Happy Customer,

Dave

Old 05-15-2008 | 05:12 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Jim, quite the opposite. Usually the IED's cure the leaness surge the Bike has stock. You can certainly see up here the many who have tried them with great success. Go ahead and use them with confidence.

Just a Happy Customer,

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I plugged them in and rode only ~10 miles. I didn't detect any change at all in performance or a surge. The insert did note that it would change my AFR to 13.8:1. Stock is 14.7:1. How will this affect my gas mileage?
Jim

Old 05-15-2008 | 05:28 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Noble Jim

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

Just a Happy Customer,

Dave
Thanks Dave,
I plugged them in and rode only ~10 miles. I didn't detect any change at all in performance or a surge. The insert did note that it would change my AFR to 13.8:1. Stock is 14.7:1. How will this affect my gas mileage?
Jim
Jim, if it changes your AFR to 13.8 you have an XIED. In my opinion they're even better. I just filled up today and got 45.5 mpg. The worst so far I have seen was 40 mpg. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Dave

Old 05-15-2008 | 05:53 PM
HDBassman
6th Gear

Hi Guys,
I have been lurking on this site for some time now and decided to officially join so I could thank you all for this great thread. This is my first Harley and I was at the point of trying decide the next step. I just had the 5k service. I also just installed Rush Slip ons 1.75 and was real happy with the sound performance. Was thinking about upgrading AC and doing Stage 1. Thanks to you guys I bought the IED's and will just stay with those for now. Very happy with the results.
I was thinking about going to the XIED's but haven't for two reasons.

1) The IEDS were very difficult to install on my '07 FXSTC. The front connector a breeze but the back one is under the seat in a very tight spot to reach. Taking the seat off doesn't help. I had to get my girlfriend to come over and reach up there with here smaller hands. She finally got it but I had to listen to her complain about " If I break a nail..."

2) This may seem funny but I am a little concerned about the EPA violation I am doing. There is a disclaimer on the product saying how illegal it is to use there on a street bike in California. I paid 20k on a bike so I am willing to do what I need to to get it to run and sound the way it was intended. My Rush slip ons aren't legal in CA either. The air quality in the San Francisco Bay Area where I live can get pretty bad in the summer, LA is worse, so I am thinking of the IED's just to richen it up enough to run better and cooler with out adding more emissions than necessary. Is that dumb?

Thanks again you guys for all the great advice and hard work.
Craig

[IMG]local://upfiles/60204/EF68AFF3529345E6AFDA630EE2A682BA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008 | 06:39 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: smokey

Thanks for the response Rider57. As to spark plug gap I've seen somewhere on this thread that 42 works well with Xied, is there any advantage with going to 44?
Smokey,
Sparkplug gaps are hit and miss. What works at one altitude works differently at another.
All I can say is, try it and see. Read your plugs after the change and adjust them as needed for the results you want.

Old 05-15-2008 | 08:55 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Smokey, I knew when I posted my numbersit would draw attention but I was in a hurry. I'm using an old Sears round gage you know the one with the ramp around the outer edge with increments on it. Well it's so warn that I'm probably closer to 42 than 44 and you'll also notice my lower number was off a thousands or so at 38 instead of 37. Unless you're using a quality gage or feelers it's more or less windage. The whole point was that by opening the gap the performance gain was beyond anything I was expecting. Because the fuel to air has been enriched it makes sense that more sparkwould help the burn.

I would also recommend to others on here who say they aren't seeing the gain they expected to check their plug gap!

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-15-2008 | 09:31 PM
Anacra
Novice

Evening all. Anyone know what Steve's shipping time is on the 06 dyna ieds is? Just ordered some at the begging of the week and I'm anxious to give 'em a try.

Old 05-15-2008 | 09:35 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

Cruiser:

A few days after I installed the XIED's, I rode about 100 miles - About 40 miles were at a steady 65-70 mph, about 20 in moderate traffic with a number of traffic lights and about 40 at mostly 55-60. Did not bother to check temps as I was happy with the results I got the first day the XIED's were installed.

I have beenaway the last 10 days, but today I finally got around to pulling the plugs. For the first time since I got the bikethey were slightly tan, instead of white. The XIED's did what the IED's did not do. I checked the gaps and they were about .039-.040. Set them to .042 and reinstalled the same plugs.

Cannot ride for the next two weeks - away again. When I return, I will do another ride to see if the regap of the plugs makes any difference.

Old 05-15-2008 | 10:02 PM
BeavisRules
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 07flstc

Wow what a fantastic thread ! Anyways I ordered the XIED for my 2007 FLSTC , I am runing Rush 1.75 , SE air cleaner with K&N filter , Stage one down load with a PC111.... Now my question is... is there any reason for me to keep the PC111 on after installing the XIED.... THANKYOU ALL !!!
I am on the verge of purchasing the OiED's for my streetbob and am wondering the same thing. Will I have to take the PCIII off the bike or is it possible to run with both?

Old 05-15-2008 | 10:23 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Mr. Clean

For the first time since I got the bikethey were slightly tan, instead of white.
That's exactly the same for me too. I filled my tank up today and got 45.5 mpg. I'm telling you Life just doesn't get any better.

Dave

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test