Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008 | 06:42 AM
Jessie
Cruiser
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Just ordered my XiED's will let you know what the result's are ASAP thank's again Guy's .

Old 05-15-2008 | 07:15 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Should also mention the plugs are still white and look unused, which is not a bad thing with the fuel we get down here. Doc

Old 05-15-2008 | 07:47 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: smokey

ORIGINAL: kry226

Here's a question that I don't think has been posed:

Since neither the IEDs or XIEDs have compensated for the difference between the front and rear cylinders, has anyone contemplated using an XIED for the rear cylinder and an IED for the front cylinder?

I know on my 06 Fatboy, I had a PC III USB with V&H Longshots. I richened the rear cylinder on the laptop by a factor of around 8%, IIRC. Seemed to even out the running of the engine even more.

I have no idea if this is feasible or not, or if it might cause the ECM to implode, but for those unhappy with the heat (etc) differences between the front and rear jugs, might this be an answer?
Would someone take a shot at this question, inquiring minds want to know???
It works just fine but, the vibrations increase. Tested this idea along time ago in the lab. I didnt post it as I didnt see any improvement that would negate the vibration.

Old 05-15-2008 | 08:10 AM
hdrider02
Cruiser

I had IED's installed on my 2006 StreetBob. They did not throw codes, nor did the check engine light go on. Steve said this was probably because my bike was manufactured late in the model run. The IED's made little difference in the lean running condition. I installed ViED's, as recommended by Steve, and
have initially adjusted them to 14.0-1. Most of the lean condition is gone. There is a definite improvement in low and
midrange power. They do make the check engine light go on on startup, but it shuts off in about 10 seconds. Also, my gas mileage dropped from 48mpg to 44mpg. I am going to readjust them to 13.8-1, and see if all lean condition disappears. I feel these are definetly worth the price. Another satisfied customer.

hdrider02

Old 05-15-2008 | 08:21 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: mikeurig

I have an '06 Streetbob.

I had checked all the connectors, pipe clamps, etc that would cause a leak of some kind.
Then I installed the new DYN OiED's and when I went to work in the morning the check engine light came on, went off, came on again and went off.
That happened in the first mile of riding.
So when I got to work the codes stated front and rear sensors lean.
Cleared the codes before I rode home.
Checked for codes and found that the front sensor was lean again.
I'll have to double check the connections of the DYN OiED's later today.

I wonder if an ecm from a 2007 or later Dyna would work on a 2006 ?

Mike

Mines pretty much doing the same thing...the light comes on and goes off after a few seconds..sometimes comes on when i come to a stop, then goes off when i accelerate. The bike definitely runs better,though. Maybe the vied's are the answer?

Old 05-15-2008 | 09:16 AM
07flstc
Advanced

Wow what a fantastic thread ! Anyways I ordered the XIED for my 2007 FLSTC , I am runing Rush 1.75 , SE air cleaner with K&N filter , Stage one down load with a PC111.... Now my question is... is there any reason for me to keep the PC111 on after installing the XIED.... THANKYOU ALL !!!

Old 05-15-2008 | 10:47 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

Just found this on another thread.
It is a chart of pics that show sparkplug conditions.
It may be useful to most of the riders here.

http://www.4secondsflat.com/plug_chart.html

Old 05-15-2008 | 11:45 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

Size matters!

As previously posted I installed my XiEDs Saturday. My 08EGC has about 2300 miles on it. I just checked my plugs after about 300 miles with the XiEDs installed and they looked good. The ceramic was white to slightly gray and the electrodes were clean and still gray looking. Thethreaded part wasblack/sooty on the end and for several threads. The front plug was a Little darker/dirtier. I checked the gap and found them to be about 37 so I opened them up to about 44. I took it for a ride and OMG I couldn't believe the difference in performance! My dyno-butt was very impressed, the response was much better and it feels much more powerful.The re-gapping made a huge difference!

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-15-2008 | 01:24 PM
smokey
Novice

Thanks for the response Rider57. As to spark plug gap I've seen somewhere on this thread that 42 works well with Xied, is there any advantage with going to 44?

Old 05-15-2008 | 03:24 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

Just received my IEDs. There is a "warning" in the bag saying there may be a surge using the IEDs. Anyone experienced this?
Jim [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test