Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008 | 05:13 PM
roadrash
Stage I
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Has anyone posted pictures of their IED install?

Old 05-13-2008 | 07:29 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Top of page 23. On a 08 RG with Bub pipes.

Old 05-13-2008 | 08:51 PM
R_Niner
Novice

Cruiser,

Thanksfor the quick response. All you guys are a big help. I think I read almost the entire thread. WOW.Kinda ignored the wmwm guy tho. HA! Anyway I'm going with the 02IED. This is based on several things.

1.I'llkeep the stock A/C and exhaust for some time.
2. I checked my plugs which are a light beige when compared against the white plug material. Front pipe is slight discolored, back pipe is a beautiful gold... HA! so not too bad so far. Heat shields are still perfect chrome.
3. I have not come close to experiencing the extreme heat issues as others so for whatever reason (inconsistancy?, model of bike 08 FLSTC?, or HD hasimproved something?) my AFR may already be on thelower end ofECM system tolerance stack.

Thats my thoughts bros. I'll post any significant find/confirmation of successbut I honestly cannot think of anything that ain't already been covered in this historic thread. If you don't here anymore from me on this it's because I'm busy picking bugs outta my teeth.

Later -Rick

Old 05-14-2008 | 12:50 AM
Phil K
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: grape ape

Phil K,

I also bought the IED's for my 06 Street Bob. I've read abouthow easy they are to install, but I'm not completely clear on where the connectors are. When you installed yours, did you have to unscrew and/or removeanything other than the seat?I've looked at the bike in the area where the service manual says the sensors are located,but I just don't knowwhat the heck I'm looking at.[&:] Could you give me some Street Bob specific tips on installation? Thanks very much for your help. I can't wait to get these things on and see the same benefits youdid!!
Down at the bottom of your frame...just in front of your oil filter...is a black plastic cover...it snaps in place at the top...behind it is the wiring from the 02 sensor on the front exhaust pipe...just follow the wire from the spark-plug looking thing on the inside of the front exhaust.There is a clip...just like the one on the ied...simply unclip it and splice the ied into the line. It will add a few inches extra length to the wiring..you just have to arrange it so it's out of the way. Don;t expect miracles, but your Bob should run cooler and smoother than before...well worth the small price. Hopefully i haven't confused you even more!

Old 05-14-2008 | 08:06 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

Good relpy Phil,I just want to add that on my 07 dyna after undoing the snaps it I wiggled the cover down from the front side which made it easy,the one under the seat was right there in plain site so it was very easy.
ORIGINAL: Phil K

Phil K,

I also bought the IED's for my 06 Street Bob. I've read abouthow easy they are to install, but I'm not completely clear on where the connectors are. When you installed yours, did you have to unscrew and/or removeanything other than the seat?I've looked at the bike in the area where the service manual says the sensors are located,but I just don't knowwhat the heck I'm looking at.[&:] Could you give me some Street Bob specific tips on installation? Thanks very much for your help. I can't wait to get these things on and see the same benefits youdid!!
Down at the bottom of your frame...just in front of your oil filter...is a black plastic cover...it snaps in place at the top...behind it is the wiring from the 02 sensor on the front exhaust pipe...just follow the wire from the spark-plug looking thing on the inside of the front exhaust.There is a clip...just like the one on the ied...simply unclip it and splice the ied into the line. It will add a few inches extra length to the wiring..you just have to arrange it so it's out of the way. Don;t expect miracles, but your Bob should run cooler and smoother than before...well worth the small price. Hopefully i haven't confused you even more!

Old 05-14-2008 | 01:56 PM
badbs101
Road Master

Anyone still getting a little bit of surging at slow speeds or decelwith steady/light throttle? I've got a SERT with my O2 bias tables maxed out, which is the same effect as the XiEDs, and I still get a little surging with mynewly added SE mufflers,less to no surging with the stock mufflers. The improvement of the SERT is awesome but the slight surge is still there on very light or decel loads.

I love the added sound of the SE mufflers but the slight surge is annoying.

Anyone with the IEDs notice the same thing?

Old 05-14-2008 | 02:48 PM
grape ape
Tourer

Thanks very much Dave, Phil and Rawhide for your replies. That's just the info I was looking for! So Friday nite or Saturday morn I'll dive in and probably realize then how easy it is.Hubby is always willing to help, but really I'd rather do it myself when possible. I'm very careful and methodical-- he just goes charging forward, tools in hand.[sm=noooo.gif]He don't need no stinkin directions!!STRESS is when he's doing something to my bike and I hear"oh sh__".[sm=sigh.gif]

Thanks again guys.

Old 05-14-2008 | 04:10 PM
kdietz
Road Captain

I got the XIED's for my wife's bone stock '08 FLHX today in the mail.....it took less than 5 minutes to install....the connectors are right there on her bike

I hardly ever ride her bike, but I took it out for a few miles....I was very impressed with the way the 96 pulls....at all speeds.....cool going down the road....still feel heat from the rear pipe at the stop signs, but what HD doesn't?

Dang...her's almost runs as well as my $$$$$ '06 Ultra with 98" BB, cams, 2:1, etc., etc.....and it's quiet too!

Old 05-14-2008 | 06:12 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Thanks very much Dave, Phil and Rawhide for your replies. That's just the info I was looking for! So Friday nite or Saturday morn I'll dive in and probably realize then how easy it is.Hubby is always willing to help, but really I'd rather do it myself when possible. I'm very careful and methodical-- he just goes charging forward, tools in hand.[sm=noooo.gif]He don't need no stinkin directions!!STRESS is when he's doing something to my bike and I hear"oh sh__".[sm=sigh.gif]

Thanks again guys.
Your very welcome Diane.

Dave

Old 05-14-2008 | 07:21 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Finally pulled my plugs today. To my delight I saw two perfect spark plugs come out of the engine. They were the picture of the perfect spark plug, as good as they get. White insulators with a hint of tan. Both the front and rear were identical. You could mix them up and never be able to pick which one came from where. My set up is perfect with the XIED. I have been running the K&N RK3909 air kit, and Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles.

In the last year and a half I have tried many combinations, fuel mngt devices, air kits, exhausts, and never have I seen the plugs looking the way they did today. But I really shouldn't be too surprised as the Bike has been running like a Dream.

Thanks Steve, couldn't of done it without you.

I'm just a very Happy Customer.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test