Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008 | 03:32 PM
elpoman
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

I'm new to this forum, and I still do not know all of the ins and outs, of it yet. I'm very interested in this posting, because I'm getting my first Harley, 08 Ultra in a few weeks, and have ordered the Nightrider 02 IED's, and want to see what every one is saying about them, so I'm posting this to add the e-mail to replies. I hope this works. If I need to do something else, to get email alerts, could someone let me know.

Old 02-21-2008 | 04:44 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

+1

Old 02-21-2008 | 05:12 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

Got my attention....

still cold out , so more input will help me decide!

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:07 PM
snuffer
Cruiser

Hey guys, just wanted to thank all of you for the great details.Mr. Clean, my fingers were sore just looking at your write up. This is good stuff! Also, you may want to look at the article in this months American Iron about the S&S bolt on Air Cleaner gaining 10hp. It states that the ECM will self adjust to AC or pipe changes, returning the A/F mixture back to the factory setting of 14.7:1, without a download.

Thanks Again!

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:45 PM
Bill Hilly
Advanced

Build your own IEDs' for about $1.00 at radioshack. Do some reverse engineering and your done. Look up "devide by calculator" on the net. Electronic guys know what I'm sayn.

Old 02-21-2008 | 06:58 PM
Mr. Clean
Cruiser

snuffer: Thanks, I read the article in AIM. However, based on my personal experience, I do not agree withthe part about the A/F returning back to 14.7.

I purchasedmy used '07 Road King Classic from a H-D dealer. The dealer was not the original selling dealer, had no service history on it, butsaid it was traded in to them on an Street Glide. It had the Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 air cleaner kit on it andstock pipes.The dealer thought that the original owner may have had aftermarket pipes on it and replaced them with the stock pipes beforetrading it. I thought that perhaps the original owner might have had the ECM recalibrated. Before signing the final papers, I had the dealer put it on their computer and they said the ECM has the original factory fuel mapping.

I thought that it might be running lean with the SE A/C, so I had it dynoed. In closed loop mode the A/F was 15.1. Even though the O2 sensors were connected the A/F was still leaner than 14.7. That is why I disagree withthe AIMstatement.

If I had known thenwhat I now know about the lean running issue, I would have insisted that the dealer either do the Stage I download or install a stock air cleaner before I paid for the bike.

Old 02-21-2008 | 09:21 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

ORIGINAL: Bill Hilly

Build your own IEDs' for about $1.00 at radioshack. Do some reverse engineering and your done. Look up "devide by calculator" on the net. Electronic guys know what I'm sayn.
Could you post how to do it in the DIY thread. Thanks...Trucky911

Old 02-21-2008 | 09:54 PM
heywood727
Road Master

Thanks Gundog......my 02 doesn't have the 02 sensors. Cool picks. Now I know what you were getting at.

Old 02-21-2008 | 10:25 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Mr. Clean
It is my understanding that the O2 sensors only impact the ECM at throttle settings below about 40% throttle (closed loop) which is where most of us ride when cruising around or riding at steady legal speeds on the highway. With throttle settings above 40% (open loop) the O2 sensors have no impact on the ECM, but the ECM richens the mixture according to how it is programmed. Basically most of us only run in open loop when accelerating hard or riding at high speeds. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.
This is correct. But rather than throttle position, it's load. So at low load, i.e. light throttle and cruising, you're in closed loop. I know... same difference.

I believe that the Nightrider IED's are an excellent mod at a minimal cost for a stock bike.
I agree.

2. Now let's take a stock bike and add a better breathing air cleaner. The bike is now leaner due to more air in. Let's say the A/F ratio in closed loop is now 15.2 (Mine was actually 15.1 as measured on a dyno).
It's possible that with the stage 1 mods, you've upped your VE (actual, not what's stored in the map) enough that the closed loop is out of it's range for correction. Of course, the dyno sniffer could just be reading leaner than the stock sensors or the stock sensors are reading richer. The only way I can think of to test this is to get your bike dynoed without the stage 1 mod and see what the AFR is.

A. Adding just the Nightrider IED's would probably accomplish bringing the A/F in closed loop back to the stock 14.7 which is still lean. You might have gained a small amount of performance by adding the better breathing air cleaner but your bike would still be running just as lean as a stock bike.
Assuming it is indeed out of the closed loop's correction range, this makes sense, although the open loop areas would be even leaner than stock.

B. Alternatively, you follow the recommendation of the MOCO and have a Stage I download installed. Supposedly the Stage I download will return the closed loop A/F ratio back to EPA legal 14.7. If you now install the Nightrider IED's, I believe that the A/F ratio will be 14.2 in closed loop mode. This would definitely help with the lean running and high temperature issues. The Nightrider IED's would be a great addition to Stage I mods and a Stage I download.
You'd also get the open loop areas back to stock AFR (or close to it) due to the download. So basically you'd have close to the same AFRs as a stock bike with the IEDs.

I know that many people say that the Stage I download is a waste of money and that it only increases the rev limit to 6200RPM. However, I believe that the Stage I download does more than that. Somehow the mixture is enrichened – or the bike would be running so lean as to cause engine damage.
Agreed. It adds fuel to match up with the increased air flow. More air plus more fuel means more power.

Unless I am totally wrong in my understanding, I think that a Stage 1 download on a bike with the Stage I mods plus the Nightrider IED’s, might help more than just adding the IED’s without the download.
Again, I agree.

If someone out there really KNOWS more about this, please feel free to comment.
Can't say I know more than anyone else, but you're thinking is spot on IMHO.

Old 02-21-2008 | 11:10 PM
TOMCENTRAL
Road Captain

I have a 08 Ultra with Stage 1 download,SE air cleaner,V&H Fuel Pak,True Duals w/0vals.The bike runs well,not hot like it did when I picked her up new.I will be installing a set of the Nightrider IEDs later this week.I want to see if the help in the Az summer heat.I fugure it won't hurt for $69.Thanks to all that helped research this issue.Regards,Tom pso the download for the SE Air Cleaner.A good dealer will not charge labor for the flash,it takes less than 5minutes.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test