Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008 | 09:40 AM
Phil K
Road Captain
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Just got the revamped ied's for the 06 Dyna's on the Bob and will give 'em a run this afternoon...fingers are crossed that no codes show up!! Anyone else try theirs out yet??

Old 05-13-2008 | 11:30 AM
kry226
Advanced

Here's a question that I don't think has been posed:

Since neither the IEDs or XIEDs have compensated for the difference between the front and rear cylinders, has anyone contemplated using an XIED for the rear cylinder and an IED for the front cylinder?

I know on my 06 Fatboy, I had a PC III USB with V&H Longshots. I richened the rear cylinder on the laptop by a factor of around 8%, IIRC. Seemed to even out the running of the engine even more.

I have no idea if this is feasible or not, or if it might cause the ECM to implode, but for those unhappy with the heat (etc) differences between the front and rear jugs, might this be an answer?

Old 05-13-2008 | 11:45 AM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

ORIGINAL: Finally

I've been keeping up with this thread from day one and I want to share my experience. I've got an 08 Ultra with 6000 miles and have run the IED's for most of those miles. During that time I ran the stock airbox and filter and SE slipons (80491-07). It completely changed the bike and I could not have been happier. About a month ago I decided to try the XIED's. Imediately I could tell the bike was running richer. Any slight popping on deceleration was gone, the temps were slightly cooler by the IR gun, but for my setup it seemed to be richer than what the bike wanted. It lost some of its snap and seemed to labor a bit more while cruising. So I tried the K&N replacement filter (HD-1508) and there was a substantial improvement. Roll on throttle is stronger than ever before but the initial snap and crispness is not as good as with the stock filter and IED's. Another interesting point is that at max throttle in 5th for passing, the bike pulls harder with the stock air filter. Must be because in open loop mode I'm not adding any more gas with all the extra air the K&N is flowing. But as is for my setup, I am most happy with the stock airbox and filter, IED's and SE slipons. A friend has a PC111 for sale-maybe I'll do some more experimenting...
It's not unusual to find different set ups like your stock air box give you more of what you like. I've noticed from reading everybodies responses that even though they appear to be similar, they do have differences. Different people are getting different results. I think some of the reasons are contributed to where we live (altitude/humidity) and the outside temperature. But even more than that are our individual riding styles. I like to give the Bike what I call little blasts as I accelerate up to speed not reving too high. Other riders like to wind the gears out and hit the higher rpms. All these subtle changes will give each of us a different feel. Because where one rider might be right in the sweet spot of the XIED, another rider who accelerates more gradual might find the IED sweet spot. Of course then you have differences of exhaust, air kits, model of HD your riding, and the list goes on. Heck take two identical bikes out of the factory and they may not even run identical.

My point is Ride with what ever feels best for you, your bike and your surroundings. I can't compare my results to Andy(Rider57) who lives up high in the Colorado Mountains. I shouldn't have my bike set up the same because I live at a lower altitude and certainly drier and hotter.

So don't be surprised if you don't get exactly the same results as me. It might take a different combination to bring out the best of your Ride.

Old 05-13-2008 | 12:23 PM
Phil K
Road Captain

OK...short ride...10 miles...bike runs like a champ w/06 ied's...no popping,better throttle, and best of all, no lurching at slow speeds..had a slight problem with this before..now gone! And so far, no error codes! Life is good!

Old 05-13-2008 | 12:29 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: RE:IED'S

HERES my report on the xied's I installed:I only rode 20 miles so far in town and country,the bike is an 07 fxd,stock except for se slipons (with the fiber packing removed).After installing the se slipons a few hundred miles ago the bike did not idle as well and low speed riding such as in town and parking lots was not as good as stock.Extreme low speeds were rougher and you could tell the engine wanted more fuel,high speeds were better.There was light popping on deceleration.Thats ALL gone now.The idle is smooth and strong,even better than stock.THIS alone makes the xied's worth it.It gets better,the decel pop is gone,grabbing a handfull of throttle in1st gear brings the front wheel an inch off the ground,solid proof of increased torque.Low speed parking lot riding is smoother.The bike sounds healthier.I don't lug my bike but I shifted into 6th at 40 mph and it pulls quite well(better).Since it wasn't hot today I can only comment that it seems a bit cooler.But that idle isVERY impressive and light throttle roll ons absolutely are morepowerfull.Needless to say they made a very good running bike BETTER.

Old 05-13-2008 | 01:47 PM
grape ape
Tourer

Phil K,

I also bought the IED's for my 06 Street Bob. I've read abouthow easy they are to install, but I'm not completely clear on where the connectors are. When you installed yours, did you have to unscrew and/or removeanything other than the seat?I've looked at the bike in the area where the service manual says the sensors are located,but I just don't knowwhat the heck I'm looking at.[&:] Could you give me some Street Bob specific tips on installation? Thanks very much for your help. I can't wait to get these things on and see the same benefits youdid!!

Old 05-13-2008 | 02:03 PM
R_Niner
Novice

Hey Cruiser,

I'm new here so 1st I want to say how much I really appreciate your comments andthe wealth of many othersin this forum. This is GREAT stuff especially for us NOOBS to Harleys. I just got a new 08 FLSTC all stock which I REALLY like. Looks like you guys have done an "exhaustive" :-)amount of research on the Nightrider IEDs/XiEDs among other stuff to get these TC96s to run better, cooler andincrease power output. I plan to leave my Heritage stock (famous last words). Really I do, really. Well, at least for now...SOOO...

Which one of these guys would you recommend? IED or XiED?

Here's my short history on the new bike: I have put about 150 miles on itsince getting it Friday and it is running well. So far I have not noticed the heat issue but ambient temps here in central Illinois have been 50s-70s.But this has been a concern to me even prior to buying the bike asit will get hot & humid here soon. Some seat of the pants observations I made so farare:

1. To me the idle seems way too high and does not return quickly back to idle when I blip it.It almost don't sound like a Harley. It does, of course, but it doesn't, if you know what I mean. Kind of weak?
2. Seems like I should get more power on throttle roll-on. This seems to be improving with break-in though.
3. Shiftingfrom 5th to 6th needs to be up in RPMs. In fact I feel the bike is a little prone to lugging.
4. Using 92 octane w/ 10% Ethenol. (Illinois = corn) So our politicians are selling this stuff. I'll look for Zero-E premium if i can find it.
5.I have not experienced anypopping or backfire on decels.

Sorry I have to speak general or non-specific here as my only measuring stickis my butt & brain.

Thanks to all for making this a great forum. -Rick

Old 05-13-2008 | 02:20 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: R_Niner

Hey Cruiser,

I'm new here so 1st I want to say how much I really appreciate your comments andthe wealth of many othersin this forum. This is GREAT stuff especially for us NOOBS to Harleys. I just got a new 08 FLSTC all stock which I REALLY like. Looks like you guys have done an "exhaustive" :-)amount of research on the Nightrider IEDs/XiEDs among other stuff to get these TC96s to run better, cooler andincrease power output. I plan to leave my Heritage stock (famous last words). Really I do, really. Well, at least for now...SOOO...

Which one of these guys would you recommend? IED or XiED?

Here's my short history on the new bike: I have put about 150 miles on itsince getting it Friday and it is running well. So far I have not noticed the heat issue but ambient temps here in central Illinois have been 50s-70s.But this has been a concern to me even prior to buying the bike asit will get hot & humid here soon. Some seat of the pants observations I made so farare:

1. To me the idle seems way too high and does not return quickly back to idle when I blip it.It almost don't sound like a Harley. It does, of course, but it doesn't, if you know what I mean. Kind of weak?
2. Seems like I should get more power on throttle roll-on. This seems to be improving with break-in though.
3. Shiftingfrom 5th to 6th needs to be up in RPMs. In fact I feel the bike is a little prone to lugging.
4. Using 92 octane w/ 10% Ethenol. (Illinois = corn) So our politicians are selling this stuff. I'll look for Zero-E premium if i can find it.
5.I have not experienced anypopping or backfire on decels.

Sorry I have to speak general or non-specific here as my only measuring stickis my butt & brain.

Thanks to all for making this a great forum. -Rick
Hi Rick,

Your describing perfectly what it's like to ride a brand new HD with no mods or accessories added. Depending what you are used to and rode before the stock EFI HD just seems to lack in throttle response, and some of the other things you have pointed out. I know for me I was used to a modded Yamaha Road Star that I had added High Compression pistons to and a nice 42mm Mikuni Flatside Carb. Talk about throttle response. Then when I jumped on my first EFI 07 HD I was shocked for the lack of throttle response. You definitely have to get used to it.

But the good news is the IED or XIED will help. Which one you choose, personally you can't loose either one. If your going to remain bone stock then you can easily get away with using the IED. Without changing the air box or exhaust the XIED might be a little overkill. Down the road if you do decide to add to your ride you can always upgrade. The prices are so reasonable that everyone should own a dozen..haha(just kidding). Who knows, down the Road Steve might have a totally new product that will be more appealling.

Dave

Old 05-13-2008 | 02:27 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: grape ape

Phil K,

I also bought the IED's for my 06 Street Bob. I've read abouthow easy they are to install, but I'm not completely clear on where the connectors are. When you installed yours, did you have to unscrew and/or removeanything other than the seat?I've looked at the bike in the area where the service manual says the sensors are located,but I just don't knowwhat the heck I'm looking at.[&:] Could you give me some Street Bob specific tips on installation? Thanks very much for your help. I can't wait to get these things on and see the same benefits youdid!!
Best thing to do is to first locate the O2 sensor in the reverse side of the exhaust pipe about 6 ~8 inches from the exhaust port. Then follow the wire that comes out of the O2 sensor. I'm not sure about the street Bob, but being a Dyna the front plug is probably located inside a square plastic box located above the rectifier. The rear gets a little trickier as the wire will probably dissapear under the seat area somewhere. Try removing the seat and looking down through the hole. Or you may have to remove a side cover (they just pull off).

Hope this helps.

Dave

Old 05-13-2008 | 03:45 PM
aldo1952
3rd Gear

Acording to Steve ieds on a stock bike would be fine unlessyour running an ULTRA with lowers attached. He then suggests Xieds because of the lack of air flow around the motor.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test