Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008 | 09:41 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Default RE: RE:IED'S

Well, here's my story....
2008 Ultra Classic....
It was HOT out of the box. I installed Stephen Mullen's Nightrider.com LC-1 upgrade. This stuff really works! It cooled the bike down really well. I could stillfeel a bit of excessive heat on my right leg on 80+ degree days, likely from the cross-over pipe.
Now, here's where the fun starts. My 08 just didn't sound "Harley" enough. This is only my 3rd HD but I know how one should sound. I bought (ebay) some new SE slip-ons (SE CVO) mufflers...didn't sound any better.
Then I bought some RUSH mufflers, 1.75" baffle in the left muffler, 2" baffle in the right. Sounded really good, but popped on decel. Then I bought V&H true duals, V&H Fuelpak, Rush 2" baffles, and a K&N air filter. Bad news...the LC-1 wide band O2 sensor was too long to fit on the rear V&H header.
I was forced to go back to the original narrow band O2 sensors. The bike performs very well with this set-up, however it is too hot (again). This is good as my wife is ready to come down on me hard. I will be going to the Nightrider IEDs, just as soon as I can get them.
I will therefore sell my Nightrider Wide Band O2 Sensor LC-1 upgrades. I have all the stuff that came with them. I used them for 1200 miles. They work. I paid $399, make me an offer. Steve Mullen is the most knowledgable guy I have ever spoken with, he will talk you through any issue with his stuff.
Noble Jim

Old 05-11-2008 | 09:55 AM
elpoman
Advanced

My findings with the Ultra lower fairings, is the rear jug get about 40 degrees hotter with them on, even with the XIED's. The bike looks cool with them on, but I'm running without them. It takes a lot for my legs to get cold, and not much for them to get hot.

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:37 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

I would have thought it would be different with the Ultra lowers as they have the vents in them. The RG lowers have no vents, they do have channels formed into them that kind of send the air towards the motor. Again, I only noticed excessive heat in stop and go traffic without the use of the XIEDs, now that I have them installed I just need some time to ride and some hot weather. Raining right now otherwise I'd be out riding instead of typing

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:46 AM
zoopman
Road Master

Thanks heywood for the observation! I want to order the XIED's! Is there any other way to order from Nightrider so that I don't have to use "google pay" ? Can I call steve and order over the phone? I have a paypal account and would prefer not to have to set up another internet account if I don't have to. Thanks again as I am excited more then ever to give the XIED's a try.

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:53 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have been getting many PM's asking about cams that would work best with the XiED's.
I have been testing different cams for the past 2 weeks on 07 and 08 models and with crusiers permission, I will post the finding on what just works, what work good and what works best.
I can post AFR, HP, Tq, zero to 60 times, 35 to 65 roll-on.
I dont want to get into a cam only area as that is another thread.
As this is XiEd related it's upto the thread starter.

Old 05-11-2008 | 12:08 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain

Today's weather isn't much better than yesterday. Even though it's not raining, it's only in the lower 50's. Not a very good day for comparison. It's suppose to get to the upper 70's throughout the week though. So I should have a better feeling about engine temps and be able to experiment with putting the lowers back on. FYI - I do have the "parade mode" enabled. I have the ability to enable/disable it without going to the dealer. God bless the MoCo for getting that one right! I figured I'd rather have the ECM be able to protect the motor if it gets too hot rather than just hope it doesn't get too hot. I was just really surprised to see it go in to heat management in such moderate ambient temps. I will also experiment with and without the baffle to see what difference it makes.

Old 05-11-2008 | 12:51 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Zoopman, Try (727)420-0896. I believe this is the phone # for Nightrider.

Old 05-11-2008 | 02:21 PM
heywood727
Road Master

elpoman
My findings with the Ultra lower fairings, is the rear jug get about 40 degrees hotter with them on, even with the XIED's. The bike looks cool with them on, but I'm running without them. It takes a lot for my legs to get cold, and not much for them to get hot.
That's about right. shouldn't matter if your lowers were on or off. The rear cylinder is going to be a little hotter.

perki48
Zoopman, Try (727)420-0896. I believe this is the phone # for Nightrider.
+1 , I honestly couldn't tell you. Steve would be the best person to ask. I'm just a happy customer.

Old 05-11-2008 | 02:35 PM
TC96Rider
6th Gear
Default RE: XIED Ordered!

Hey all, Jim here from WA. state. Ordered the XIEDs from Steve,hope to receive them next week. My 07 Heritage runs great as is, slip-ons only at this time. No hesitation orsurging or pinging as I hear mentioned here and very minimal decel popping. Just running way too hot for my liking. I will be installing the K&N 3909 air kit along with the XIEDs, hoping to get cooler temps and have a fine running machine to boot!! I will be posting back with my results. Looking forward to a fine riding season. As they say, keep the shiny side up!

Old 05-11-2008 | 03:40 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: marvincb
The only thing that might not be same is I don't have the parade download(if that's what it's called, the one that shuts fuel off to rear cylinder).
The parade mode has been in the bikes ECM since 03 or 04 I think. It was a one time download from the dealer for the EFI bikes. You should check it out.

You should be able to get it activated if you really want it.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test