Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008 | 04:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: diebolt

Well with close to 1400 posts and only one "unhappy person" I think the numbers speak volumes.

I am not one that wants to do a lot to my bike. I like to keep it as stock as possible. It was so much easier with my 01 Ultra..... Stage 1, download and slip ons. Done deal. I wanted to be able to do this with my 08 Ultra and could not achieve this and be happy without Steve's product.

Having a 7 year warranty and not wanting to fight the company if I had problems also played into my decision. I am in "compliance" with the warranty by having the Stage 1, download and slip ons and with the Xied's I am enjoying less heat and smoother running bike with more power all for $100.00. I also like the fact that I cantake these off the bike in minuteswhen I take it in for service and they are none the wiser.

I do realize that many would rather go the race tuner/fuel management route and dial in things a little better and more power to them, but I just want a simple solution to making my bike run better. Thanks to Steve & Nightrider I have that option.

I can't wait to see what he comes up with in the future.

Thank You Steve for your dedication to this problem.
This is going to be one of those debated issues that neither side is going to win. I keep seeing that you have to have a stage one download to be legally kept under warranty. I seriously doubt this and I'll tell you why. My prior Bike was an 07 Wide Glide. I had the Dealer put a set of V&H Big Shots on it with a SE AC, and asked him to do a stage one download. That was back in the days when I was extremely naive and believed a simple download was all one needed to correct the AFR when adding exhaust and an air kit.

The Service Manager told me he could not give me the HD stage one download because I didn't have 100% HD parts (viloation of Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). The truth of the matter is that they should have a stage one download available for whatever parts you put on whether they be HD or not. Now I'm suppose to believe that by not having that download my warranty is invalid? After all the dealer is the one who put the Non HD exhaust on my bike. He was more than willing to sell me a Race Tuner and about 5 hours of dyno tuning at over $80 an hour. I didn't want to get that deep, and especially that expensive. So he sold me a Cobra SI2000. Once again assuring me that I would have no warranty problem with his shop.

This whole scenario stinks and has that foul "Thou must buy all HD parts and accessories" all over it. It is a clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You don't have to buy their download to keep your warranty intact. If you add an air kit and exhaust and neither of them are made by HD, all one has to do is to make sure their fuel ratio is adequate and neither too lean or too rich. The Stage one download in a lot of cases would still leave the Bike running too lean, because we all know that HD can't legally mess with your AFR making it richer than the EPA mandates.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The Stage one download is an uneccessary expense. It's not going to hurt the Bike, and from the tests we have seen, neither is it really going to help the Bike. It's not a guarantee that your warranty will remain intact. It's just one more way for Mother HD to get more of your money. About all your getting for your money is higher rpms.

Old 05-10-2008 | 06:08 PM
Ybnormal67
Cruiser

I have a K&N air kit along with Rush slip ons with 2 inch baffles. I rode my nike the other day in 94 degree weather and it still ran nice and cool. I don't need any stage one download. I'd just be throwing my $200 away. My Bike runs better now than it ever has. Besides the dealer wouldn't sell me the download way back when I first changed exhaust on my other Bike. I had to have all HD parts. Just another one of their gimmicks to make more money off of us. Go talk to different Techs at the dealerships, and ask them what the stage one download does. I guarantee you will not get the same answer twice. The only thing I have heard more than once is it raises rpm's.

Put the XIED on your Bike and ride it. If you still feel like you need something else than go spend your $200. But I seriously doubt you will have any additional needs after you feel the way the bike runs with the XIED's on it.
Hey Cruiser,

I have one last question if you don't mind. Do you happen to know the air flow difference between the k&n filter you have on you ridethe Stage 1 kit filter from HD and a stock filter?
Just curious, don't want to spend the money if I don't need to get a new filter.

Anyone else care to chime in?

Should have my XIED's monday or tuesday hopefully.

Thanks,
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/43328/A347667DDBBD4EC199CF4C19B7B5E258.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-10-2008 | 06:28 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Hi Joe,

No I don't have that information but I believe Andy (Rider57) does. Shoot him a PM and ask.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 05-10-2008 | 07:01 PM
heywood727
Road Master

It is a clear violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Unfortunately, that act doesn't help Us Canadians.

Old 05-10-2008 | 07:27 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

I'm back, they're on , and I'm one Happy Camper! I walked out to meet my mailman like I usually do and he handed me the Xieds. I immediately took them to the barn and in about 5 minutes I was firing up th bike.They really install that fast if you have alreadyfound the connector and have a couple of wire ties in your pocket. I started it up and could tell the report ( stock bike) was softer, lower in pitch,and had more of pop than crack sound to it. My wife said it sounds creamier, OKI guess.

I wasn't expecting to get them so soon and I left my thermometer at work but I can tell it's cooler because I rode several hours today and went downtown into traffic with plenty of stop & go two up and never felt hot!! I couldn't believe it because my right leg always gets hot and today it didn't!

I know my opinion isn't measurable but even the boys could tell a difference. I'm very pleased with the results. [sm=yeahsmile.gif][sm=yeahsmile.gif][sm=yeahsmile.gif]

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-10-2008 | 07:55 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Here we go again!
Magnason Act!
That act covers anything that you would put on, or in, your bike that caused a failure of any component normally covered under warranty.
Here's the tricky part. If you use a SERT, and you load a map that you created or changed, to the bike and it causes crap to happen, you are $h!t up the creek.
Oh one more thing, if the dealer sells and installs any thing that causes a failure, it is his responsibility to fix it.
Ya gotta read the WHOLE thing and the addendums!

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:12 PM
djhrln
Cruiser

Just installed XIED's on 08 EGC. Subtle difference, but definitely a difference. I had tried the Fuelpak with SE/AC. It ran like crap, didn't want to idle,obvious loss of low rpm power, especially 2 up. V&H can't seem to figure out why. Went back to stock.

So I thought I'd give the XIED's a try, and voila, this is all I wanted. It's the way it should run. Smooth idle, less throttle to get going, smoother shifting at lower rpm. I dont' have to shift at 4k. Shift at 3.5k and it just grabs and goes. I like it. Thank you very much!

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:14 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

That's a Bummer Heywood.

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:16 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Djhrln and Badfinger,

Welcome to the XIED Club.

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:18 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Joe, way back somewhere in the beginning of this thread....maybe 1st 10 pages or so....somebody posted the air flow for several different a/c. I think it was AZchuck. He's riding a SG with a modified stock airbox.
If you want to look back thru and find it, I think you will find that the stock airbox flows sufficient air for the slip-ons.
Does anyone else who has been here for this whole thing remember that??

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test