Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008 | 11:19 PM
wmw
Novice
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: wmw

ORIGINAL: Rider57

That has nothing to do with the above posts.
We have tested this and THAT IS THE FIX as far as exhausts go.
If you install a 2 into 1 system and dont address the valve overlap issue with a cam, the 2 into 1 system WILL scavange the systemcausing it to run lean. PERIOD.
Dont make statements that you have absolutly no knowledge of.
Why would you say that to me? Looking at your profile you havespend all your time on this topic?
I was just replying toyourquote!
Post the voltage reading and I'll explain them to you!

ORIGINAL:Rider57
I was invited to this thread.
The voltage is 850mv.

Back to thereading that you replyed with,how did you get 850mv?

Old 05-10-2008 | 01:02 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Donny

I have a question that has been going through my mind the last few days. I have a basic idea of how the O2 sensors and ECM works,but what I want to know is, if the IED drops the voltage down so the ECM thinks it's lean and adds more fuel, won't the o2s recognize a richer mixture and start raising the voltage more? I would think it would eventually cancel out the effectiveness of the IEDs ormax out the range of the O2s.
And on the XIEDs,could they be forcing the ECM into open loop or something, making it think it's not warmed up yet? I know that almost everone who tested them had great results, I just can't get these questions out of my head. I'm definatelygoing to try them, though!
Not quite Donny. The 02 sensors just relay the message back to the ECM. The 02's never change anything. they just transmit back to the ECM. There is a cold part of the map that tells it when it's not at temperature. Richen's it up till the temps come around. IF you had a SERT, this cold start part of the map can be adjusted as well.

It leans out as the temperatures come up, it reads partly what the 02 sensors are sending back. When it gets to 14.7 the ECM stops. It always starts out rich on cold starts. Just like a choke. Less air more fuel till the temps come up and then you have to add more air.

The other end of the map is the EITMS ( Engine Idle Temperature Management System) Page 140 on the touring owners manual. When it gets too hot, it shuts off the spark and fuel to the rear cylinder. Richen's up the fuel to the front cylinder (like cold start) and the rear cylinder becomes an air pump. Cools the bike down at idle.

The IED's just knock it down .5. As far as the ECM see's it's at 14.7 when in fact it's really 14.2:1. Steve has tested along with Rider57 that 13.8 is about max on the narrowband sensors. They can explain that part of it and have the lab tests to back it up better than I could ever do.

I can however maybe help you with an example in laymans terms. It's always easier for me to relate it to something I know.

Putdifferent sizedtires (IED's)on your car/truck. The speedo is the 02 sensor. Cruise control is the ECM.

Crude, but it works for me.

Old 05-10-2008 | 01:03 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

I'm not sure why this became a battle of who knows what, or more, than the other guy. Cruiser, Rider, Heywood, and others have provided a wealth of practical and technical information to those of us who lack the same. Practically all of us who have tried and used this product have been pleased, if not thrilled, with the results. I'm not sure why wmw has chosen to antagonize some of us and question the results that we've all experienced first hand.
Wmw, if you've tried the IEDs in any form and are displeased, just say so, and tell us why. If you haven't tried them, then IMHO, you've got nothing further to contribute to this thread. Many riders are benefitting from the exchange here and if you've got nothing to add from your experience with them, then just go away. I'm not a mechanic or an engineer of any kind, I'm just a paramedic with 30 years of street time whose scoot runs better. Now if you want to discuss pathophysiology and pharmacology, I'll start another thread and invite you over.

Joe

Old 05-10-2008 | 07:36 AM
Donny
Road Captain

Heywood,everything you said makes perfect sense to me, (except the cruise control and tire analogy, lol) just kidding. I still don't know why the o2 sensors don't change voltage, when they're in what the computer thinks is a rich condition,,,,ah crap, I think I answered my own question with the question. Well, the comp thinks it's 14.7, when in reality it's 14.2, but the o2 sends the signal for a rich mix through the ied that drops the voltage and becomes 14.2,but the compTHINKS it's 14.7. I get it now[sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:31 AM
Upnorth
Novice

I have read this thread and am convinced that the IED are the way to go for a cooler engine and better performance. Essentially, it seems to me that the IED is simply stated a biasing circuit: it simply changes the calibration of the O2 sensor to permanently run the air fuel ratio that much richer. What could be simpler! I am picking up my new 2008 FXDC in a couple weeks and have to ride it 200 miles home. I don't want to run this bike lean during break in and wonder if I can install the new Xtreme O2 IED in the dealer parking lot before I take off. Does anyone know where the connectors are located on the Superglide Custom and what tools I will need to take with me?

Old 05-10-2008 | 09:18 AM
mikeurig
Road Master

Ty-wraps, a screwdriver for the seat (phillips head) and a 3/16 allen wrench with a long handle.
The rear connector is under the seat and the front is behind the voltage regulator between the downtubes.

My DYN OiED's for my '06 are on the way!

Old 05-10-2008 | 10:58 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Donny....

Yup, you got it. That's exactly how in works in a nutshell.

Upnorth.....

It's a good idea. I did the same thing. Just maybe do it around the corner...lol. Take a look at my pictures on page 23 of this thread to help you out on the XIED placement. Another place you can look is the video that Steve did on "How to Install the LC-1's" The first thing the video did was show where the connection break on the front cylinder was. This was all I needed to get me started on what he was talking about. The rest of the video doesn't apply, but where the disconnect did.

I usually take mine off when I will take it in for warranty work.What a difference that ride is. That's when you find out how dramatic the change is. Getting use to them is nothing. Riding without them is the last thing I want to do now.

Further along in the video, it shows where the rear connection might be. Mine was wide open (due to the different pipes). The video showsLC 1 installon a Road King.

mikeurig...

That's great. I hope it works out with the Dyna. Are you the guinee pig for the new OiED's? I'm pretty sure they'll work perfectly. From what I know of Steve, he won't send you anything unless he's confident it'll work. He and Rider did some nice work figuring it out. Let us know how it works out.

Old 05-10-2008 | 11:30 AM
grape ape
Tourer

Guinea Pig??? Hmm, I guess I'm going to be a guinea pig also. I have an '06 Street Bob with V&H Big Shots, SE A/C and HDdownload. I haven't been on the forums for awhile, and when I logged on and started reading about this product, I couldn't wait to order a pair of the 06 Dyna IED's. They've shipped andshould be here any day. If they perform as expected, I will be VERY happy. Sounds like just what I need to cool the bike off a bit and reduce decel popping. Willpost on the results.

Old 05-10-2008 | 12:21 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

I have a question that has been going through my mind the last few days. I have a basic idea of how the O2 sensors and ECM works,but what I want to know is, if the IED drops the voltage down so the ECM thinks it's lean and adds more fuel, won't the o2s recognize a richer mixture and start raising the voltage more? I would think it would eventually cancel out the effectiveness of the IEDs ormax out the range of the O2s.
And on the XIEDs,could they be forcing the ECM into open loop or something, making it think it's not warmed up yet? I know that almost everone who tested them had great results, I just can't get these questions out of my head. I'm definatelygoing to try them, though!
TheO2's can't adjust. They just generate voltage according to the gases. 1volt is the norm. The IED adjusts that to around .8 volts and that is what the ecu sees. The O2 can not put out more that 1 volt.

Old 05-10-2008 | 12:26 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Heywood,everything you said makes perfect sense to me, (except the cruise control and tire analogy, lol) just kidding. I still don't know why the o2 sensors don't change voltage, when they're in what the computer thinks is a rich condition,,,,ah crap, I think I answered my own question with the question. Well, the comp thinks it's 14.7, when in reality it's 14.2, but the o2 sends the signal for a rich mix through the ied that drops the voltage and becomes 14.2,but the compTHINKS it's 14.7. I get it now[sm=bangbang.gif]
BINGO! but dont tell wmw, ok?

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test