Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 07:20 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Labfreak,

Here is my layman version of the 2 - 1 and the XIEDs. I am running a D&D Fat Cat. At first I also was using the K&N air kit. The XIEDs did make it run alot smoother than the PCIII, but I did noticed some surging and higher temps, which was to be expected. I then took off the K&N and put back on the stock A/C. The surging was gone and the throttle response was great, but I was still getting alot of heat. More than I was comfortable with. 275 on the front and 294 on the rear and 325 on the front while it was idling. I have not thrown any codes though. It is my unprofessional opinion, after checking temps for the past week,a 2 - 1 system just leans it out too much even for the XIEDs. I just put back on my PCIII and you can really feel the difference in the heat. Its unfortunate, because I also lost the smoothness of the XIEDs. I have been agonizing over whether I should switch to stock headers with slip ons and the XIEDs, or keep the Fat Cat and PCIII. The XIEDs were so smooth and throttle response was so good, but I love the Fat Cat exhaust.

J.B.

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:39 PM
ronyd
Road Master

This is also real interesting: this came from http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/h...erformance.htm .
Harley-Davidson did publish some interesting power improvement percentages in the Fall 2006 issue of its Enthusiast newsletter. From the information listed below it must be assumed that you can upgrade the exhaust system and intake system on your 96CID engine without any changes to the ECU. Nightrider has historically been a proponent of exhaust system only upgrades with no EFI remap, but now HD has published that HD/SE exhaust upgrades and no EFI upgrades can be added to your bike without warranty implications. The table below summarizes power improvements as published by Harley-Davidson.

These guys at nightrider seem to have their **** together for low cost solutions don;t they?

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:34 PM
wmw
Novice

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: wmw

That has nothing to do with the above posts.
We have tested this and THAT IS THE FIX as far as exhausts go.
If you install a 2 into 1 system and dont address the valve overlap issue with a cam, the 2 into 1 system WILL scavange the systemcausing it to run lean. PERIOD.
Dont make statements that you have absolutly no knowledge of.
Why would you say that to me? Looking at your profile you havespend all your time on this topic?
I was just replying toyourquote!
Post the voltage reading and I'll explain them to you!

ORIGINAL:Rider57
I was invited to this thread.
The voltage is 850mv.
With your simulators install you areseeing a fixed reading of 850mv?

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:42 PM
Zieg
Advanced

XIED's are in the mail. Will be installing on a stock 08 Ultra

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:16 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Just got the XIEDS this afternoon put em on and went out for a ride 145 miles to be exact with temps in the upper 80's NO SWEATING. These are amazing, bike idles smooth better throttle response, and did not quiet down exhaust enough to notice. Running V&H big shot duals with quiet baffles, the standard baffle made exhaust sound tinny, raspy,stage 1 download and Ness a/c. Thank you Steve at nightrider your a savior. and thanks to all you good people on this forum with the great info.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:28 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

That has nothing to do with the above posts.
We have tested this and THAT IS THE FIX as far as exhausts go.
If you install a 2 into 1 system and dont address the valve overlap issue with a cam, the 2 into 1 system WILL scavange the systemcausing it to run lean. PERIOD.
Dont make statements that you have absolutly no knowledge of.
Why would you say that to me? Looking at your profile you havespend all your time on this topic?
I was just replying toyourquote!
Post the voltage reading and I'll explain them to you!

ORIGINAL:Rider57
I was invited to this thread.
The voltage is 850mv.
With your simulators install you areseeing a fixed reading of 850mv?
It's nominal (best) voltage is that.
You must know that from the voltage readings you have been taking and comparing to the AFR readings on your bike.
As you can see, they are related and vary according to each bike and the bias table applied at the tested load /rpm. Right?

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:42 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Andy, if you ignore it, it will go away.

Nice, results everybody who contributed lately. I even see some nice fuel mileage numbers.

Thanks to all,

Dave

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:46 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Your right. Schools over and I dont want to teach anymore. Blocked.

Old 05-09-2008 | 12:08 AM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member

CRUISER,as you know the stock ecm will readjust to 14.7 afr if you install slipons.I experienced this first hand when I installed my SE slipons(fiber packing removed).The engine didn't idle the sameuntill I rode it several miles,then it was fine.My XIED'S are on the way and I'm looking forward to trying them out.My question is this:if in the future I change to a different slipon should I remove the XIED'S and run the new slipons for a while and let the stock ecm readjust before I put the XIED'S back on the bike?By the way,THANKS for starting this thread.

Old 05-09-2008 | 12:24 AM
lilwilly
Intermediate

I had the original IED's and liked them, but upgraded to XIED's. I haven't tried them yet, but hope to ride tomorrow. I want to get the stage I download and was wondering if I needed to remove the XIED's for the download to properly update the ECM? Does the ECM do any sort of data logging that might detect and save or register a lower AFR and affect the parameters of the download, or is it a pre-programmed change to the ECM? Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test