Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:04 AM
wmw
Novice
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

ORIGINAL: Rider57

ORIGINAL: labfreak

I am one of the 'problem children':

I got the regular IED's on a few months ago, still had stock exhaust with cycleshack slip-ons, stg 1 download and K&N Ac. All well, nice running, and NO ECM CODES.

I recently put on my PYTHON 2-1 and reinstalled my IED's, got error codes P0131, P0151= Lean condition. Still the bike ran fine.
When I take off the IED's, I don't get codes. But I put them back on because I can feel the difference and it is still better. THE CODES COME AND GO!

I asked Steve if Xied's would help, he said I probably would get more codes..I am one of those with the "transient ecm codes". He is researching this problem for me, and did not recommend I go for the XIED's at this time.

Steve has helped me through troubleshooting, I sealed a exhaust leak with a better clamp, that seemed to help for awhile.

Anyway, I think this might be related to having the 2-1 exhaust..anybody else get these codes?
Any 2 into 1 system I have tested seems to throw the same codes. The scavanging these system produce draws some of the fuel charge out of the cylinder. This happens when the fuel injector operateswhile the exhaust valve is still open. The fuel comes into the chamber and goes directly out the exhaust valve before the valve closes. This is valve overlap. The only cure isnew cams,or get rid of the 2 into 1 system.

Why would you want to replace cams and exhaust to retain a set of O2 sensors simulators?
The problem is that the simulators are maxing out the voltage signal to the ECU.
Install a Volt-meter and you will see the reads.
The simulators can only max out the fuel not remove it.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:21 AM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Man!.... wmw you just won't give up will you?
You are still hanging around reading the posts and grabbing at anything to prove that these things don't work. LOL
I'd be curious to know just what dog you have in this fight.
You've been asked by several, but have never provided an answer.
Interesting??[sm=confused06.gif]

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:30 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

That has nothing to do with the above posts.
We have tested this and THAT IS THE FIX as far as exhausts go.
If you install a 2 into 1 system and dont address the valve overlap issue with a cam, the 2 into 1 system WILL scavange the systemcausing it to run lean. PERIOD.
Dont make statements that you have absolutly no knowledge of.

Old 05-08-2008 | 11:05 AM
wmw
Novice

If you install a 2 into 1 system and dont address the valve overlap issue with a cam, the 2 into 1 system WILL scavange the systemcausing it to run lean. PERIOD.
Why would you say that to me? Looking at your profile you havespend all your time on this topic?
I was just replying toyourquote!
Post the voltage reading and I'll explain them to you!

Old 05-08-2008 | 12:38 PM
Tnbrit
Road Captain

Hi,Rider.I've purchased the Xied(not fitted yet).I mailed Steve about the suitability of running a 2-1 exhaust with no other changes(07Dyna)with his X's,& he mailed me to say it was ok.& even recommended a particular system.Are you saying that with ANY 2-1 system I could run into code/lean running issues? or is it certain systems?Oh & thanks to all you guys for all your help & knowledge in this thread.

Old 05-08-2008 | 01:35 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: wmw

Why would you say that to me? Looking at your profile you havespend all your time on this topic?
I was just replying toyourquote!
Post the voltage reading and I'll explain them to you!
I was invited to this thread.
The voltage is 850mv.

Old 05-08-2008 | 01:41 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Tnbrit

Hi,Rider.I've purchased the Xied(not fitted yet).I mailed Steve about the suitability of running a 2-1 exhaust with no other changes(07Dyna)with his X's,& he mailed me to say it was ok.& even recommended a particular system.Are you saying that with ANY 2-1 system I could run into code/lean running issues? or is it certain systems?Oh & thanks to all you guys for all your help & knowledge in this thread.
WITH the XiEd's you will benefit as the AFR will be rich enough to keep it cooler. You will still have scavanging as the valve overlap condition is still there. I have tested 2 into 1's on stock bikes (no ied's or xied's) for the past 12 years in the lab on EVO's, TC88 and the new TC96 engines and in all cases the results have been the within the same ratio.

Old 05-08-2008 | 04:11 PM
labfreak
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gs34doc

Man!.... wmw you just won't give up will you?
You are still hanging around reading the posts and grabbing at anything to prove that these things don't work. LOL
I'd be curious to know just what dog you have in this fight.
You've been asked by several, but have never provided an answer.
Interesting??[sm=confused06.gif]
Guys, chill!!!

WMW is adressing the fact that I DO NOT GET THESE CODES WHEN I PULL THE IED"S OFF...you would think that if the 2-1's a are scavenging fuel due to overlap, I would still get these codes, right??

As I said, I FEEL the differnce when IED's are still on, that is why I leave them on in spite of the codes.

I encourage these IED's.. we are just confronting something here that needs resolving, thanks.[&:]

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:34 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

The Dyna's map will not allow it to go richer.
The 2 into 1's just add to the problem.
PM sent

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:56 PM
ssc89
Cruiser

Hey marvincbr, Yes.[8D]

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test