Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 08:35 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

My mileage has been running between 41 and 45MPG with the XIED's. That's all mixed local riding with probably more stop & go and 2 lane than interstate. Think I'm up to about 800 miles since I put them on.

Old 05-07-2008 | 08:40 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Zieg

Cruiser, I've read thru these posts but somehow missed out on "how is 13.8AFR achieved with the Xied"?
When Bush Baked beans decides to give up their secret family recipe, then We'll let the secret out as to how it is done.

Honestly, you'd have to talk to Steve. It's his secret.

Old 05-07-2008 | 08:43 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: cruiser85257

ORIGINAL: Zieg

Cruiser, I've read thru these posts but somehow missed out on "how is 13.8AFR achieved with the Xied"?
When Bush Baked beans decides to give up their secret family recipe, then We'll let the secret out as to how it is done.

Honestly, you'd have to talk to Steve. It's his secret.

Then after he tells you he has to kill you.

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:19 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

I pulled 49-53mpg on a road trip yesterday running XIED, Stage I A/C, and stock pipes/mufflers, and no download. A couple guys recommended I don't need the stage I a/c w/o an exhaust to pull the air through really well, and probably attribute my top end throttle response to the stage I a/c without pipes, and cruiser also recommended numerous times to go stock with the IED/XIED, so I pulled the stage I a/c off this afternoon after work, and as soon as I can get it back on the road, I'll see if my throttle response is a bit better with the stock a/c for comparison, and will shoot my mpg back on here for your reference. I was curious yesterday how she would run with the stage I a/c, no download with the XIED, and wasn't disappointed. Cruiser - have a question for you, or anyone else. As I'm not using a thermometer to measure temps, will the left side of the bike be hotter than the exhaust side, or should they be the same? I noticed today sitting at a light my left side seemed hotter than my exhaust headers. I was impressed though with the 50 average mpg from yesterday. I'd been getting around 40 around town, and to actually have 150 miles on the trip meter with no low fuel indicator was nice to see. I look forward to seeing how she does with all stock components with the XIEDs and will post soon.

ORIGINAL: Street G

With every one using the new xied,s and them getting good reports. I would like to see how the MPG is on your bikes.Because Iam using the ied,s and my mileage droped about 3 MPG.

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:22 PM
BigBen
Cruiser

Cruiser:

Do you have any photo's of the installation? I took a look at my bike tonight (08 RG) and it looks more complicated than the 5-20 minutes I hear people talking about.

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:01 PM
labfreak
Road Master

I am one of the 'problem children':

I got the regular IED's on a few months ago, still had stock exhaust with cycleshack slip-ons, stg 1 download and K&N Ac. All well, nice running, and NO ECM CODES.

I recently put on my PYTHON 2-1 and reinstalled my IED's, got error codes P0131, P0151= Lean condition. Still the bike ran fine.
When I take off the IED's, I don't get codes. But I put them back on because I can feel the difference and it is still better. THE CODES COME AND GO!

I asked Steve if Xied's would help, he said I probably would get more codes..I am one of those with the "transient ecm codes". He is researching this problem for me, and did not recommend I go for the XIED's at this time.

Steve has helped me through troubleshooting, I sealed a exhaust leak with a better clamp, that seemed to help for awhile.

Anyway, I think this might be related to having the 2-1 exhaust..anybody else get these codes?

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:51 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BigBen

Cruiser:

Do you have any photo's of the installation? I took a look at my bike tonight (08 RG) and it looks more complicated than the 5-20 minutes I hear people talking about.
I did a pictorial on the top of page 23 on my 08 RG. Front should be the same and the rear might look a little different, but should put you in the ballpark.

Old 05-08-2008 | 12:42 AM
MotorMedic
Advanced

Ben, Heywood's pics as he noted should help. I am new to HD and have no experience with Vtwins. It took me about 10 mins to figure it out after seeing the photos. Just find the sensor a couple of inches down the exhaust where it exits the motor, you'll see the wire and the connectors. Just unplug and insert the IED between them and make sure they "click" together. On my 08 EGC, the front connector is wire tied at the frame and the rear is right behind the oil dipstick cap. The only trouble I had was fishing the rear connector out. I took off the cap and had just enough room. In fact after installing the IED, I just slid it back into it's previous spot and its fine. I rode to work today in Boston (74 or so) and sat in some traffic. My butt dyno says its noticibly cooler and as I've said before, deeper exhaust note, better throttle response, and idles smoother. I was talking to a couple of bike cops today and I'll bet one of them is on Steve's website right now. I'm willing to bet the other will be too right after his partner gets his on. I may have to move up to the XIEDs even though the IEDs are working great. They seem to produce better results with gas mileage though I haven't even calculated mine yet. (Only 300 miles so far on a couple of fill-ups) Good luck!
Joe

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:31 AM
Metalgear454
Intermediate

Well I read this whole thread (not in one sitting-whew!!!) and I am convinced that this is a near perfect product for most stock or near stock bikes. But as I am ready to order the Xied's I am wondering if anyone knows if Steve has any newer designs about to be released or upgraded versions on the horizon? I know that some of you had to buy twice. Also, has there been many occurences where '07 or '08's have thrown codes?
Great thread!! Thanks to all who participated!

'08 FXDL
3" Khrome Werks HP-Slash Slip-ons (awesome by the way)
Stock A/C setup

Old 05-08-2008 | 07:49 AM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: labfreak

I am one of the 'problem children':

I got the regular IED's on a few months ago, still had stock exhaust with cycleshack slip-ons, stg 1 download and K&N Ac. All well, nice running, and NO ECM CODES.

I recently put on my PYTHON 2-1 and reinstalled my IED's, got error codes P0131, P0151= Lean condition. Still the bike ran fine.
When I take off the IED's, I don't get codes. But I put them back on because I can feel the difference and it is still better. THE CODES COME AND GO!

I asked Steve if Xied's would help, he said I probably would get more codes..I am one of those with the "transient ecm codes". He is researching this problem for me, and did not recommend I go for the XIED's at this time.

Steve has helped me through troubleshooting, I sealed a exhaust leak with a better clamp, that seemed to help for awhile.

Anyway, I think this might be related to having the 2-1 exhaust..anybody else get these codes?
Any 2 into 1 system I have tested seems to throw the same codes. The scavanging these system produce draws some of the fuel charge out of the cylinder. This happens when the fuel injector operateswhile the exhaust valve is still open. The fuel comes into the chamber and goes directly out the exhaust valve before the valve closes. This is valve overlap. The only cure isnew cams,or get rid of the 2 into 1 system.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test