Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 03:42 PM
streetdjack
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Just received my Xied today and swap them with my Ied that I've been running since one month now with great satisfaction...
and like Diebolt, I'm absolutely impressed with the difference I felt......I don't know why but the bike really move stronger than I expected,
the sound is great, iddle is perfect and the power..WOW !!!!
no comment on the heat, maybe next time...
gone try to make a test ride with my wife tomorrow but I suspect there will be a pair of OiEDs to sell soon.....
Thanks to all, It's a great thread !!!!

Jacques

2008 StreetBob
Stock A/C and US mufflers

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:19 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ssc89

Been running IED since bike was brand new, dealer installed 103, SE/AC, SE mufflers. Had bike dyno for base line #'s but had stock AC & filter on it. 101 torque & 81 hp. AFR was lean up to 1700rpm ,then rich all the way to 5800 rpm. Checked plugs;white. Regapped from .040 to .038 . Cyl. head temps were in the 260 degree range. Bike has 1300 miles. Try to scan my dyno sheet & post it. Next up put SE/AC back on, punch-out cat. & cross drill baffels. Also ordered XIED today. Great thread!![8D]
Be very careful drilling cross drilling anything on the exhaust. It may cause a drop in backpressure and cause the bike to once again run lean.
Only drill on the endplate and no more than 3 .25" holes. Then test ride and feel for heat buildup. After that, only drill 1 hole and test ride again.
Been there, done that! And it CAN cost you!

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:30 PM
Zieg
Advanced

Cruiser, I've read thru these posts but somehow missed out on "how is 13.8AFR achieved with the Xied"?

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:42 PM
slink
6th Gear

Interesting Q&A in Joe Minton's "Parts & Service" column in this months American Rider. Both questions about EFI tuning. Part of the first question asks "If you had a choice (with a system like the Cobra Fi2000R) would you install a closed-loop processor or would you choose an open-loop system?" Joe's short answer was "Closed-loop is the way to go." He adds a paragraph or two to explain why.

Second question had many parts, but one part asked about air:fuel ratios. The response, "I have a lot of tuning experience with Harley engines and have found that they seem "happy" with air/fuel mixtures of close to 14:1...Peak power at high rpm may require slightly richer mixtures. However, when you get a Big Twin Harley engine running really will on the street, its part-throttle and mid-rpm mixtures will be close to 14:1. The rest of his response talks about other parts of the tuning equation.

Closed-loop with mixtures around 14:1. Sounds like an IED (or XIED)to me. Folks on this forum have been really helpful pointing thesethings out; now some further verification from American Rider.

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:44 PM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: ssc89

Been running IED since bike was brand new, dealer installed 103, SE/AC, SE mufflers. Had bike dyno for base line #'s but had stock AC & filter on it. 101 torque & 81 hp. AFR was lean up to 1700rpm ,then rich all the way to 5800 rpm. Checked plugs;white. Regapped from .040 to .038 . Cyl. head temps were in the 260 degree range. Bike has 1300 miles. Try to scan my dyno sheet & post it. Next up put SE/AC back on, punch-out cat. & cross drill baffels. Also ordered XIED today. Great thread!![8D]
Thanks for putting those numbers up there. I am running almost the same setup as you, only difference is I'm using Rush 2" with a true duel kit. I am waiting for the XIED's to show up any time now, got notice that they shipped. I'm drooling as I'm reading all these good posts and can't wait to get them installed and go for a blast. Bike is at the dealer right now for it's 10k service, hopefully I will be getting a delivery soon after I get her back. Did you have the stage one download done when they did your 103 kit?

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:58 PM
diebolt
Cruiser

Has anyone heard any feedback from any dealer service departments or mechanicsabout the IED's or XiED's. It will be interesting to see what they say about the "Poorman's Tuner Device". I would bet that they will bad mouth them because they can't sell us their expensive tuners.

I feel like I have found the "Holy Grail" of tuning devices.

Thanks Nightrider.

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:23 PM
Rider57
Road Captain

Times are tough for any dealer, metric or U.S. so almost needless to say they dont like it.
I have heard every possible story from "it will void your warranty" to "it doesn't work". The majority of riders that have either the IED's or XiED's say differently.
It is true that a leaner burn at certian rpms, with the right cam, I say,will gain you HP, but at the cost of longivity of your engine.
I have a slightly modified engine, but certianly nothing that could be considered radical. My oil (Mobil 1) is as clean as the day I put it in 3000 miles ago. Of course, good maintenance equals a good running bike.
Keep it clean, always.
The point about the warranty becoming void will only occur if the IED's or XiED's cause afailure of the engine or ecu.
I have investigated all possible ways this may happen, but have found that there is no way.There simply is no way it can happen!

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:27 PM
burr3rd
2nd Gear

Well, I had the original O2iEDs on for about a week (gave a report back then) before my XiEDs came and I installed them. XiEDs were installed last Friday 5/2 but didn’t have a chance to do any kind of test driving until yesterday and today (5/6 and 5/7). I will testify that my “08 Road King (stock) is definitely running even better than with the original O2iEDs (and they were an improvement from the stock set up). Power is noticeably improved and much smoother on acceleration and deceleration. There is no question that the bike runs considerably cooler and getting stuck in traffic doesn’t present anywhere near the stress level that it did before the iEDs. My exhaust sound has changed from a pop to more like a put but that is OK. The richer AFR produces a little less violent explosion in the chambers I suppose, hence the more subtle sound. Overall, the XiEDs make the bike perform much better for my style of riding and it would seem that they make the bike run the way it was designed to from the manufacturer. It is ironic that this aftermarket product makes it possible to drive the bike with the shift intervals recommended in the owner’s manual (1stt to 15; 2nd to 25; 3rd to 35; 4th to 45; 5th to 55 and 6th from 55 on up). Anyone with an ’06 or newer touring model Harley Davidson knows that the stock bikes will lug if shifted at the speeds recommended in the manual. Thanks again to Steve at Nightrider and all the contributors on this thread, my bike is more enjoyable to ride and I feel satisfied with a purchase (the Road King) that I was beginning to question.

'08 Road King (stock except for some extra chrome, black and beautiful)

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:42 PM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: diebolt

Has anyone heard any feedback from any dealer service departments or mechanicsabout the IED's or XiED's. It will be interesting to see what they say about the "Poorman's Tuner Device". I would bet that they will bad mouth them because they can't sell us their expensive tuners.

I feel like I have found the "Holy Grail" of tuning devices.

Thanks Nightrider.
I've talked to myparts rep about them on the "QT". He's really interested in them for his own bike. He has to keep it quiet though. My dealer is also a V&H authorized dealer as well.He tried to getapproval to be come an dealer for Bub pipes, but the owner couldn't do it due to their involvement with V&H.

BTW... new heat shield came in. Took the old one off....... guess what? Heat damage. I can see it on the inside of the shield. Bub contacted me today and told me that I don't have to send the old one back.

I'm pretty confident that with the XIED's and the FP on, I shouldn't have any more problems. The pipe underneathe was dark blue for the first 8". after that it was gold for 6". The rest was a silver as stainless can be.

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:59 PM
Street G
Cruiser

With every one using the new xied,s and them getting good reports. I would like to see how the MPG is on your bikes.Because Iam using the ied,s and my mileage droped about 3 MPG.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test