Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 07:23 PM
SILVERTEX
Advanced
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Got the XIED'S in the mail today. Came home after work and installed them, very simple installation I might add. The wife and I took about a 30 minute ride, really didn't have time to go much farther. My bike is an '08 Ultra that is bone stock. No mods whatsoever. We didn't get a chance to get out on the open road so I really couldn't get a feel for any difference in throttle response. I detect a small change in the tone of the muffler sound. I don't have a thermometer so I can't give any numbers, but for the small amount of time we rode, it seemed to be not near as much heat coming off the motor. Hope to take a longer ride sometime this week to really get the feel of them on there and will report back after. I can't wait to get a few more miles in with them on to really feel the difference.

Old 05-06-2008 | 07:23 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

Has anyone checked the temps of their bike while it was idling. I brought my thermometer with me on my ride and at a stop light I checked the temps just left of the spark plugs and I got a reading of 324 on the front cylinder, the rear was just as hot. Does this sound right? Its 70 today, so not to hot out.
J.B.

Old 05-06-2008 | 08:24 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

JB that sounds about right. It's the nature of the Beast to get warmer when sitting still in traffic with the engine idling. Once you get moving again the temperature comes right back down.

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:00 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Anybody using the heat shields that mount under the front of the seat? Friend of mine has a SERT, dyno tune,&true duals and wasn't happy until he put the heat shields on. Got myXIEDs, but it will be next week before I can go get the bike........just wondering if I should buy the heat shields while I am there and save shipping cost later???? Opinions please

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:59 AM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's my review of the XIEDs from a complete layman's point of view as I don't have thermometers and all that, and not really sure how a harley is supposed to feel. I put my XIEDs on 2 night ago, and yesterday in prep for my 400 mi round trip to PA, I decided at last minute to go ahead and stick the SE high flow air cleaner on as well. I cleaned my plugs off before my departure, and took the stock cleaner and some tools with me in case things didn't feel quite right. I should mention, I don't have the stage I download, also. Well, the day wasn't terribly hot, but no cold either, so I can't really comment on the heat yet, but I managed around 53 mpg on the open road, which to me was incredible. The bike did feel more responsive to my throttle, and the idle growl was lower than what I was used to. I wore my 3/4 helmet plus face shield, so not 100% sure about the noise, but overall, she felt like she was just purring right along, and felt incredibly smooth throughout my trip. I frictioned down the throttle and just let her roll. No codes from the ECU, and all felt good. Need to do something about my pipes now, I guess, try the rush slipons, I'm thinking to really bring out the beast. One thing I did notice was that my throttle topped out a few times with nothing left over, for example, going at the top end of 4th or 5th gear before shifting. No unusual engine noise, just couldn't get the throttle to go more before shifting from 4 to 5, or 5 to 6, if anyone cares to comment on that, I appreciate it.Once I was in 6th gear, though, I had to keep it off so wouldn't get going too fast. Overall, I have to say quite pleased with these things, again from a layman's point of view/non-rocket scientist rider. I believe I will do the download when I have the chance, for warranty purposes only. We'll see how she does around town today in stop and go with the heat. Thanks for all the posts on this - I'm glad I took the plunge for them.

Watie

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:14 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Your problem on the throttle could be your hitting the rev. limiter, means no increase in speed after it hits 5,200 rpms some rev limitters are higher. Doc

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:18 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

You may also want to set the throttle position . Run switch on turn on ignition and leave it on 10 sec, then off and then do it again 3 more times Doc

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:45 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

lonewatie, I recently spoke with some performance experts about upgrade options and during our discussion I was told only upgrading the a/c will not help and may deteriorate you bikes low end performance. The stock unit is more than sufficient until you increase you exhaust size and only increasing it may lose low end torque.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 05-07-2008 | 11:36 AM
diebolt
Cruiser

I put on my XiED’s and had the bike out for a 150 mile trip two up and a 100 mile solo trip. Both of these were mountain roads and freeway riding. The difference between IED’s & XiED’s is HUGE! I can not understate that.

● The exhaust tone was deeper and louder.[/b]
[/b]
● The power was better all through the gears.[/b]
[/b]
● The [/b]RPM[/b] range in each gear was able to go higher without feeling like I was over revving it.[/b]
[/b]
● The power at 1800 to 2000 [/b]RPM[/b] was there for me to be able to accelerate with no lugging and made it so much easier for cruising in the mountains and not shifting as much.[/b]
[/b]
● The bike ran much smoother and idle was perfect.[/b]
[/b]
● The bike still runs cooler than stock but it was not a warm day actually cold in the mountains so I don’t know if it ran any cooler than the IED’s. My gut feeling is it will be about the same or slightly cooler compared to the IED’s.[/b]

I am very happy that I spent the money to buy the XiED’s even though I already had the IED’s. I am very happy with my set up now and won’t be doing anything else to it. Plenty of power for 2 up touring with luggage and climbing the hills.

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:45 PM
ssc89
Cruiser

Been running IED since bike was brand new, dealer installed 103, SE/AC, SE mufflers. Had bike dyno for base line #'s but had stock AC & filter on it. 101 torque & 81 hp. AFR was lean up to 1700rpm ,then rich all the way to 5800 rpm. Checked plugs;white. Regapped from .040 to .038 . Cyl. head temps were in the 260 degree range. Bike has 1300 miles. Try to scan my dyno sheet & post it. Next up put SE/AC back on, punch-out cat. & cross drill baffels. Also ordered XIED today. Great thread!![8D]

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test