Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:41 AM
kennyd42
Intermediate
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Wow you guys on here are a wealth of information. I just ordered the XIED's and am looking forward to seeing the results. I have an 07 FLHTC and have never had any major issues with heat, surging etc but I know its lean by looking at the plugs. My bike is bone stock with Vance and Hines Basic Slipon's. Will post the results after install.

Old 05-06-2008 | 11:51 AM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

I've been riding with the XIEDs now for a few of days. I was noticing some heat and some decel popping so I tested the XIEDs and my 02 sensors like nightrider's website says and everything was working like it supposed to.I did go through and make sure everyting was tight and it was. I have a D & D Fat Cat and I've been using the stock airbox. Ichecked the temps after last nights ride twiceusing the same spot Cruiser used and I got 275 for the front and 294 for the rear at both stops. So it looks like I'm right around everyone elses temps.
I'm going to put on my K&N airbox and see what kind of temps I get with that on. It would be nice to run both, but I'm thinking the Fat Cat may just be too freeflowing of an exhaust to run with the K&N and the XIEDs. I'll post my temps. after that ride.

Old 05-06-2008 | 01:15 PM
dklozik
Tourer

Since I decided to go with the SE intake and full exhaust, Im going to order the XIEDs with the PC III. From what I remember reading, I'll still need the XIEDs in closed loop cause the PC III or any other tuner cant richen up cause of EPA, correct ? Im more of the **** retentive type that has to squeeze every hp and every ft of tq i can from my mods. Guess cause this is my first non crotch rocket motorcycle....i dunno. Oh yeah, its an 07 Street Bob

Old 05-06-2008 | 01:49 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

HDDOC,

Nice numbers for an EGC. Welcome to the XIED Club.

Old 05-06-2008 | 02:11 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dklozik

Since I decided to go with the SE intake and full exhaust, Im going to order the XIEDs with the PC III. From what I remember reading, I'll still need the XIEDs in closed loop cause the PC III or any other tuner cant richen up cause of EPA, correct ? Im more of the **** retentive type that has to squeeze every hp and every ft of tq i can from my mods. Guess cause this is my first non crotch rocket motorcycle....i dunno. Oh yeah, its an 07 Street Bob
Dklozik, if your looking to squeeze every HP and Ft. lb of Torque then you should be buying a SERT and looking for a professional tuner to Dyno Tune the Bike for you. As already pointed out, the XIED is for the non annal rider who is satisfied with a good running Bike and doesn't want to spend a fortune getting there. It's a simple 10 minute install with no degree in Rocket Science required.

The XIED isn't for everyone, just as the SERT isn't necessary for everyone. You happen to be a SERT person. To buy both would be a waste of money. I'm not 100% sure how the PCIII tunes these days, but it used to eliminate the O2 sensors and you could richen what would normally be the closed loop area. Of course it's a lot more expensive then the XIED.

Talk to the Old Hands up here the real HD wrenches, and they will steer you to the SERT for your **** conditions.

I hope you know I'm not poking fun at you, the SERT is the unltimate tuner for those who are like yourself.

Old 05-06-2008 | 02:15 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: nlawarre

Thanks to all of you in this thread, this has helped me a great deal!!
Your welcome Nlawarre. I've learned quit a bit from this thread also.

Old 05-06-2008 | 02:30 PM
dklozik
Tourer

Ah...no offense taken at all. I learned alot on this thread actually. Ive been using the search and have been trying to decide which tuner to use. Sert,PCIII,ect... there are several places around here(houston) that dyno tune and most have good reps, thankfully. To bad more threads on here arent like this one. Even though apparently its not going to be a benefit to me, I still thinks its pretty cool how everyone chimed in on this.

Old 05-06-2008 | 04:57 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

Called Steve and he immediately picked up the phone and i felt like I was talking to an old friend. During the conversation he saved me about $169 !!!! Woo Hoo, ordered XIEDsfor my stock 08 EGC with 1800+ miles on it and I'll givea report when they get here.

Thanks David & crew,

Jim

Old 05-06-2008 | 04:59 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: dklozik

Ah...no offense taken at all. I learned alot on this thread actually. Ive been using the search and have been trying to decide which tuner to use. Sert,PCIII,ect... there are several places around here(houston) that dyno tune and most have good reps, thankfully. To bad more threads on here arent like this one. Even though apparently its not going to be a benefit to me, I still thinks its pretty cool how everyone chimed in on this.
Try starting a thread about the SERT and Dyno Tuning. As an added plus make it more exact within your location where you live. There are some very smart people up here who are full of good knowledge about the SERT. One of the keys to having a good thread is to respond back to all those who take the time to write to you. Even if it is no more than to say Thanks. Aside from the obvious it also keeps your thread high on the list making it easier for people to fiind and read.

I had both the PCIII and SERT on my last Bike. I was one of the lucky few who had defective PCIII's. It had a problem with a hesitation just off idle. Some Bikes were stalling. It went all the way up to Dyna Jet the manufacturers and we even had the owner post on the forum. Jamie at Fuel Moto was nice and took my unit back for a refund because it was a problem they had no cure for at the time. I've seen recently our old thread come back to life as it appears some new people are experiencing this age old problem still on new units.

The SERT worked good on my old Bike. Just cost a lot of money after I added up purchasing it and the Dyno Tune at Trask Performance here in Phoenix. He has quite a reputation for tuning. He also is well known for Turbo Charging Bikes. Now there is another way for sure you will squeeze more HP and Torque out of your Bike.

The only downside to the SERT, and I'm sure it was the way the Tech set my Bike up was the fuel mileage. I was only getting mileage in and around 37 mpg. For me it wasn't worth the extra HP for such poor mileage. That's why I love the XIED. It gives me the best of all Worlds.

PCIII or SERT?? Do the SERT. In the hands of a good tuner he'll make your Bike run it's *** off. Just be prepared to spend about $700 and up for everything, Tuner and Dyno time.

You can get a good deal at Zanotti HD. They're a Harley Dealer on line offering discounts up to 30% off.

Check them out: http://www.zanottimotor.com/index.html

Good Luck

Old 05-06-2008 | 05:01 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Cool Badfinger, you'll absolutely love them.

Don't forget to come back and tell us about your riding experience with them on.

Welcome to the XIED Club.

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test