Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:08 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master
Default RE: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test

Thanks ZZMellio. It's quite apparent in your detailed analysis, that your not what I consider the average rider. Your the rider who is looking for more. To meticluously squeeze every bit of power from your engine. That's not a bad thing by the way. You demand and expect more from what you buy. I used to be that way, but I guess Old Age has tempered me. Like most I'm just happy to have a decent running Bike. The XIED's do that very well.

I'm not sure what your referring to with the flat spot you refer to. My Bike runs good, and requires very little throttle to get it moving. No flat spots, or hesitations. None of the other members who have bought them and reported back up here have reported flat spots either. It must be something left over from your PCIII settings.

The IED/XIED is not for everyone. Your meticulous nature and ability to express fine detail puts you in a league to seek perfection. Nothing wrong with that, it's an admirable quality.

For me and the average rider, we are quite content with the XIED. Our differences is what makes the World go around.

Thanks for the excellent review.

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:39 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

I have nothing bad to say about the XIED's. I think for the rider who wants stock or aftermarket AC and slipons and a cooler runnig motor,this is about the most perfect way to go. I have been ridding for such a long time and my review may be a little one sided due to the fact that I have tinkered for perfetion for a long time, and I know my bike very well and how I think it should run for my driving habits.More often to cause me a head ache.Any rider who is new to this, this is the perfect staring point. I must say that I felt as if I went backwards alittle, but I have a ton of hours getting to the point that only took 5 min to get to with the XIED's. As far as flat spots go there where times that I felt in the throttle positionand fuel delivery that it felt as if it needed just a little more AFR. Not much but just a little more. After all we know that not every HD is the same due to manufacturing tolerances, that is why there is no one cure all device for these machines. Ive read where some tunners can calibrate their dynos with Hyabusas because the manufacturing tolerance with those machines is so spot on. There are 1001 diffrent ways to get to the same place. My next test will be the XIED's with the PCIII zeroed out from 0% throttle to 50% throttle to 4K with my timing adjustments. The advanced timing at 0% throttle takes away a ton of heat a idle. No glowing pipes!!

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:55 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zzmellio

Any rider who is new to this, this is the perfect staring point.
Or any rider who is tired of messing with his Bike, this is the perfect way to manage your fuel without spending a fortune.

Old 05-05-2008 | 08:59 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Your welcome Jeffrey.

Great news. Welcome to the XIED Club. I have a feeling you'll leave the FP off when you see how she runs.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:05 PM
Donny
Road Captain

I'm going to try the XIEDs soon. I actually had a friend try to help me fool the O2s with O2 spacers that they use on import cars. They just bring the O2 out of the direct exhaust flow, making the ecm think it's leaner than it is. It did work...sounded MUCH better, ran cooler, BUT it kept sending codes with a check engine light, so I removed them.
I got so frustrated with my lean condition on a bone stock bike, that I bought a sert, then realisedI just spent $500 bucks to make my stock bike run right, and have to spend MORE money to have it dyno tunedby someone that probably does'nt know much more about it than I do,lol. I never did install it, and have been gathering info on all the other tuning options. I think the XIED is exactly what I need. I just installed V&H slip ons, and it runs great, no popping, but now I can actually hearthe difference between closed and open loop! I'm going to get some temp numbers with bothinfrared and probe, and when I get my XIEDs, I'll do the same tests under the same conditons, and give my review as well.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:16 PM
heywood727
Road Master

The more the merrier....

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:26 PM
cruiser85257
|
Road Master

Donny, the good news is if you haven't used the SERT you can sell it and get your money back. Then spend a fraction $$$ for the XIED. You don't have to be a Rocket Scientist to figure out how to use the XIED.

Old 05-06-2008 | 06:35 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Recieved my XIEDs yesterday, Have been running the last 1,400 miles with the IEDs. True Duells Super Trap 3" internal Slip Ons and stock A/C , Had a very slight decell pop on up shifts and coasting down shifts, Gone now with the XIEDs installed ,Bike idels perfect 1000 rpms when warm ,starts half a revolution nice and fast starts, No lean surge anywhere. Oil temps with oil cooler staying at 225* at cruise with temps here in the 80s, I will be keeping the A/C stock as I see no advantage of going to High flow A/C at this time . My milage is still around 36 mpg two up and the way I ride. I did not keep this bike under 75mph most of the test. I have got 42 mpg if I keep the bike at 65 mph 2 up. will have to try that next, thanks to all for this tread and all the testing you all have done. Very Happy with this product! Doc

Old 05-06-2008 | 06:37 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain

Forgot to mention this is on an 08 E Glide Classic. Doc

Old 05-06-2008 | 09:18 AM
nlawarre
Stage I

Thanks to all of you in this thread, this has helped me a great deal!!

Quick Reply: Nightrider O2 IED's - Field Test